2018 tyres

Why did I ever think a statement like this would work? The world is full of idiots wedded to their beliefs as it's too much part of their identities.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(15-05-2018, 07:29 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  The conspiracy nuts have now changed tack and are claiming the Italian brand Pirelli had asked the Italian brand Ferrari to put the statement out to save face lol....you just cant win sometimes Wink

Jesus. Why are people so reluctant to understand that Pirelli know more about their tyres than the media and conspiracy theory nutjobs do. FFS, tyres and safety go hand in hand. Pirelli have a reputation to protect. Remember Silverstone a few years back? They don't want that happening again I'll wager.

Having said that, the tyre choice for Silverstone this year is probably too conservative, don't you think? They could probably use the hards for the full race then drive to Hockenheim on the autobahn and still have plenty left to do FP1 and 2!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(15-05-2018, 08:22 PM)morini Wrote:  Jesus. Why are people so reluctant to understand that Pirelli know more about their tyres than the media and conspiracy theory nutjobs do. FFS, tyres and safety go hand in hand. Pirelli have a reputation to protect. Remember Silverstone a few years back? They don't want that happening again I'll wager.

Having said that, the tyre choice for Silverstone this year is probably too conservative, don't you think? They could probably use the hards for the full race then drive to Hockenheim on the autobahn and still have plenty left to do FP1 and 2!

Yeah bud, I wish they would skip a compound or better still bring back tyres that can go flat out then  `off the cliff`....no pissing about...hard, soft, inter and wets

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Did both of you notice that Mercedes and Ferrari did a lot of laps today on the hard and the super hard? Perhaps they're getting ready for a Silverstone one stop.

Wonder if we'll see Merc run any softer tyres this test. It's all we are seeing at the next few races.

Don't see why they felt the need to use SuperHards, are they really anticipating them being used in the season?
I'm going to turn conspiracy nut, and say Pirelli asked them to use them, so they could justify use the their purely awful colour schemes they have.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Hesh, I do not understand why they were running the Super Hard. I just don't get it. Also running the hard as much as they did. Baffling. Unless they were trying to hide their pace, which Hamilton did really do too well now did he? His Super Hard tyre time was a couple of hundreths of a second off of his Soft tyre time... what the hell does that tell us about the Mercedes? It's a confusing car for sure.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-sh...o-1038452/

"Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo has called upon Formula 1's official tyre supplier to bring its softest compound to every grand prix.
The new hypersoft tyre is due to make its debut at the next round, in Monaco, but Ricciardo believes that if it were available throughout the season, it would add a greater element of unpredictability to the racing."

"I don't know why we can't have the hypersoft at every race," he said. "Or at least we qualify on it and maybe figure it out after that.
"But at least we've got, like, a qualifying tyre and then bigger differences in the race to create a bit more opportunity.
"Because as I say, for the top six it was already obvious from Friday [in Barcelona] we were going to qualify on the soft and try to do a one-stop with the medium. That's no secret.
"I think that's what it is - just trying to create more options, more surprises, because it's a bit predictable for now."
Ricciardo's comment came against a background of mounting dissatisfaction with the lack of meaningful differentiation between the tyres.
Although each of Pirelli's compounds is claimed to be a step softer than last year, during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend the difference in laptime between the soft and supersoft tyres was reckoned to be in the region of just 0.3s.
Teams also found it difficult to manage the temperatures of the supersoft across a stint, especially on the front-left, which comes under particular stress at the Circuit de Catalunya.
With so little difference between the soft and supersoft in terms of laptime, the soft became the de facto choice, and indeed the majority of the top 10 used it as their qualifying tyre.
Haas driver Romain Grosjean was among the most outspoken of the supersoft's critics.
"It is rubbish," he said. "It's not correct that we go faster on soft.
"It just shows that it's not exactly what it should be. The super should go faster - obviously you expect more degradation, which you have, but it is just a harder tyre to drive.
"You don't have much rear support in the car, and it is more pointy, you can't push as hard as you would like, so we've talked to Pirelli at the drivers' meeting. We need to keep all the work going because there is some more work to be done.
"I don't want to be negative, I just think that we can all together work on a better tyre."
Pirelli is willing to investigate the possibility of specifying tyres more than one step apart, as it did in China, where the available choices were medium, soft and ultrasoft.
Although the safety car played a substantial role in the outcome of that race, so too did a tyre-strategy gamble by Red Bull that yielded victory for Ricciardo.
"I had a chat with the drivers and it was quite interesting," said Pirelli's Mario Isola. "They had a lot of ideas for the future.
"An interesting proposal, because they were happy with the tyre choice in China, and sometimes the difference between soft and medium is less than one second, was to consider jumping levels. Say hard, soft, ultrasoft.
"We can make a simulation of this to understand the possible effects. We have six compounds in the range so we have the flexibility to jump a level as we did in China.
"But it's possible in these conditions that you have the hypersoft as a qualifying tyre, and under the current regulations they are obliged to use it in the race. It's not easy. You have to consider all the possibilities"

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The FIA and Formula 1 bosses have asked Pirelli to simplify the names it uses for its tyre range in 2019 in order to make it easier for casual fans to understand.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel...9-1041303/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(24-05-2018, 07:23 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  The FIA and Formula 1 bosses have asked Pirelli to simplify the names it uses for its tyre range in 2019 in order to make it easier for casual fans to understand.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel...9-1041303/

Seems to me they are going to make it worse. I mean what is complicated about it now every tyre (tire) has a different name. You just know every commentator is going to say something like;

"Well into the Pits comes Verstappen and he is going to go onto the Soft compound tyre which of course used to be the old Supersoft tyre last season and was Red and in fact it is still is Red, but as we are running with the old Supersofts, Softs and Mediums this race weekend The Mediums this year are last years Softs and of course the Hard is really the Old Medium compound from last year but of course all this will change at the next GP!!!!!"

Yeah, makes perfect sense...
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(24-05-2018, 10:50 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Seems to me they are going to make it worse. I mean what is complicated about it now every tyre (tire) has a different name. You just know every commentator is going to say something like;

Yeah, makes perfect sense...

Haha, for a split second I could imagine Murray Walker commentating again.....sounds like something the great man would have come out with Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post