What next for Sebastian Vettel?

Sergio Perez. That's what I heard two days ago, but laughed it off. I figured Seb would sign for another coue of years, and then bow out. Not massively shocked he quit though. My thoughts on Seb are well known, I think he's a very good driver, just not great. He was never on the level of Hamilton or Alonso for me, whereas the grid is starting to fill up with drivers with the potential to be on that sort of level. Like Morini I really rate Carlos Sainz, he was unlucky at RBR / TR because let's not forget, he proved quicker than Max over a single lap but got screwed a few times by the Safety Car. Max got the drive because the Helmut had a boner for him, still does. Carlos, Norris, Russell and Ocon are all young drivers who in my opinion have the chance to step up to the top level, like Vetstappen and Leclerc already have. My opinion is that Ferrari won't go for Max, he's bad mouthed them, Riccardo is an option, but I feel the team will go for a number two driver, an experienced one would be best, but Giovinazzi might get the nod. Ironically Hulkenberg would have been a good shout.
[+] 5 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-05-2020, 10:34 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Sergio Perez. 

Funnily enough, there are others suggesting that on the HYS comments under the Benson article I posted. I can't see it myself, but stranger things have happened. Would actually like to see Lewis have a bash at it just to follow in the footsteps our Nige Big Grin  We all know F1 is cyclical and I believe Mercedes will find it hard to stay on top much longer. At face value it would look like a bad move if Lewis did go to Ferrari but it looked like a terrible move when he left McLaren for Mercedes too. 

To be honest nothing would surprise me. As there is nothing happening on track it gives the main players plenty of opportunity to investigate all their options. Anything could happen.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Hamilton to Ferrari after this season wouldn't surprise me. However, neither would him finishing his career at Mercedes. Been watching The Last Dance documentary about the all conquering Chicago Bulls team if the 90's and Michael Jordan repeatedly makes it clear that once you've built a legacy with a team, you want to defend that until it's taken from you, walking out isn't an option (even though he did to play baseball). Interesting watch if anyone is bored.

As to who gets the Ferrari seat? Here's how I see the contenders:

Old experienced No.2 drivers - two options as I see it, Hulkenberg and Perez. Know their ways around a car and feedback. Experienced enough to be consistent point scorers, but not good enough to challenge Charlie boy for number 1 status. Perez might want to stick at Aston Martin now they have money, but Ferrari is a big pull, Hulkenberg would jump at the chance the be Charlie's bitch.

Joint No.1 drivers - a few options here I guess, but Alonso and Riccardo are the clear options here. Alonso would probably kill for a competitive Ferrari drive and so too would Riccardo. I think both would cause Leclerc serious problems, I think Alonso and Riccardo would prove far sterner challenge for him than Vettel. Alonso might be rusty after sitting on the sidelines, but he'd be a good learning aid for Charles, Danny though is a different prospect, he's young enough to have a career left and that might cause serious friction in the long run. I don't know what Ferrari want.

The blockbuster options - Again clearly two Max and Lewis. At this point in time I think both would beat Charles, but Charles would learn. Can't see Ferrari going for Max, and I'm not sure Lewis would go for Ferrari. Don't think either scenario seems likely right now.

Young guns - there are a few. Russell no chance as he's apparently lined up for a silver seat in 2021. Carlos is the most likely as Norris needs time and I on is pinned down to Renault and will need more than a Covid-19 season to prove he's up to a top drive.

The Italian option - Giovinazzi, a more clear number 2 you won't find. He's proven quick over a single lap, but should be nowhere near a top drive at this point in hus career, or possibly ever. So that means Ferrari will probably give him the drive.

My gut says Carlos or Riccardo.

Actually, given I hear Russell to Merc is a done deal for 2021, how about Bottas to Ferrari? Hadn't thought of him as an option tbh.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-05-2020, 12:13 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  
 how about Bottas to Ferrari? Hadn't thought of him as an option tbh.

Yeah this was Gag's guess, after everything Lewis has said about a legacy I'm expecting him to stay at Mercedes, so for me it looks like Danny or Carlos.

Nice touch from Charles.

Leclerc thanks Vettel for lessons despite ‘tense moments’ 

Charles Leclerc has paid tribute to outgoing Ferrari teammate Sebastian Vettel, saying he "never learnt so much as I did" than when racing with the four-time world champion.

In a post on his social media accounts following the announcement, Leclerc paid tribute to Vettel for his work during their time together at Ferrari.

"It's been a huge honour for me to be your teammate," Leclerc wrote.

"We've had some tense moments on tracks. Some very good ones and some others that didn't end as we both wanted, but there was always respect, even though it wasn't perceived this way from the outside.

"I've never learnt so much as I did with you as my teammate. Thank you for everything Seb."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I hope they give the seat to Ricciardo. I think he is in the top 4 (together with Hamilton, Verstappen and Leclerc and no one knows what the order would be, probably depending even on what track cq weather).
Ricciardo is a great driver and very experienced in racing. Good match up for the team with Leclerc in regard of age and experience. Bonus for Ferrari is that Ricciardo is very marketable and even has Italian roots (no other team than Ferrari would care about a thing like that I think).

No change of Verstappen moving to Ferrari (both would not want that).
Hamilton very slim change, just don't see it happen.
Saintz is intriguing though.
Ocon could be a option but I don't think he has enough experience (and he is not Leclerc or Verstappen in that matter).
The rest of the field, it would surprise me.

PS. Finaly some real news for the F1 world. How great is that (and I wish Vettel the best, people dislike him but I not that much).
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Some interesting thoughts gentleman.

One thing I am certain of Ferrari are not winning a constructors championship with Giovinazzi as its number 2
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Weird actualy. This tread is called "What next for Sebastian Vettel" and since Vettel announced he is leaving Ferrari, all we do is ask ourselves who will take that vacant seat.

I mean, what is next for Sebastian Vettel? Will he move to another team (as a driver or something else), or will he leave F1 behind him?
To be honest, I think he will leave F1. Maybe become a commentator or something, but I don't see Red Bull or Mercedes taking him as a driver and Vettel will never settle for another team.
[+] 4 users Like Antilochos's post

(12-05-2020, 07:34 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Weird actualy. This tread is called "What next for Sebastian Vettel" and since Vettel announced he is leaving Ferrari, all we do is ask ourselves who will take that vacant seat.

I mean, what is next for Sebastian Vettel? Will he move to another team (as a driver or something else), or will he leave F1 behind him?
To be honest, I think he will leave F1. Maybe become a commentator or something, but I don't see Red Bull or Mercedes taking him as a driver and Vettel will never settle for another team.

Well, not so weird, Who takes his seat at Ferrari could have a big influence on any options available for him to move to another team. I think you are correct that there is no room for him at the other top teams, but I could certainly see McLaren wanting to sign him. Don't forget McLaren will once again have Mercedes power, so that will be a big draw for drivers wanting to go there. Everyone knows my views on Vettel, I don't think he's at the supreme level of the very best in the field, but he is a proven winner, has vast experience and is also decently fast in the right car. McLaren would love to sign him. Renault too, but I can't see Vettel being interested as that team is a shambles.

Can't see Vettel doing anything other than retire. That's the cold hard truth of it. He won't drop down to a McLaren or a Renault, and there's no chance he gets a drive back at RBR, and I just can't see him moving to Mercedes, why would they want him.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(12-05-2020, 08:07 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Can't see Vettel doing anything other than retire. That's the cold hard truth of it. He won't drop down to a McLaren or a Renault, and there's no chance he gets a drive back at RBR, and I just can't see him moving to Mercedes, why would they want him.

I do agree with all of that. In fact I called a Vettel retirement in an earlier post somewhere on here. But ......, kind of playing devils advocate, I can also see some logic in a move to McLaren. They have the firepower to build a good chassis and Merc power is as good as any other PU. If Vettel thinks that car could be developed into a contender and McLaren were to offer him a (say) 3 year deal I could see it happening.

Depends whether he is prepared to suck up more years of not being in contention. A battle with his own ego, if you like.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post