2019 Austrian GP

(01-07-2019, 12:51 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Silverstone should be genuine 3 team battle, well 2 1/2 because lets be honest Gasly is just not delivering!

Agree, Austria was race of the year. Weird, because I don't normally enjoy it at all. It was all thanks to Max though, Ferrari's race pace was not spectacular IMO, CLC did not drop Bottas who was basically lifting and coasting the whole race. Also, very surprised Vettel could not secure fastest lap after a second stop for soft tyres. I think in Vertappens hands the RBR is the overall second best car (the WDC standings back that up).

On Silverstone, I'm not so sure. Even in the unlikely event it is warm I do not think it will be warm enough to cause the kind of problems Mercedes had on Sunday. Make of this what you will, in the races I have attended in person (since Hamilton started racing in F1 in 2007) I have never seen him off the top step of the podium. And I'm going to Silvertone Wink

I reckon he will have a point to prove after last year. I think the cars will be evenly matched but Hamilton will bounce back with a bit "extra" home crowd performance. I think all those orange shirts certainly gave Max a bit extra yesterday.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

Right, answering questions... why did Vettel 2 stop, read my comments in this thread about Vettel's pace on the hards in FP2 during his race stint and you'll understand why. His times on the Hard were appalling, and weren't any better in the race. Why they didn't go Medium then Soft again is beyond me. Massive mistake. Leclerc's time on the hards weren't any better. Bottas and Lewis apparently had their engines in the lowest setting from lap 40 onwards, and Leclerc actually started to lose ground to Bottas at one point by almost 0.2's per second. So again, I think Leclerc needed a two stop. As to the tyres not being ready because the mechanics didn't get a radio message... Going to say it again, I wonder if Binotto thinks getting rid of Arrivabene's QA mangers was a wise decision now? Ferrari are at Six's and Seven's right now, and Binotto's leadership has made things much worse. This is a race they could've won, but silly cock ups that Arrivabene wanted stamped out have cost them again.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

I think Sky F1 needs a proper shake up. Both the TV presentation side and the web reporting side. They really are coming across as very amateur - need to get some professionals in there and start to give subscribers better value for money

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...ded-racing

I quote

"Hamilton finished fifth on Sunday as cooling issues in his Mercedes - along with a broken front wing and lengthy pit-stop - limited the five-time world champion, who has seen his title lead cut down to 29 points."

FFS get the facts correct before you publish an article!! By my maths there remains a 31 point gap between Hamilton and Bottas.

If there was any real alternative I would vote with my feet and cancel my Sky sub. They are crap.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Will Buxton, head and shoulders better than anything Sky has to offer!

(01-07-2019, 08:35 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Will Buxton, head and shoulders better than anything Sky has to offer!

The article I liked to above has since been corrected, but that doesn't excuse the "journalist" who wrote it. Sky throw stuff up on their website without a care. Have they not heard of proof readers?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(01-07-2019, 12:56 PM)morini Wrote:  I think Sky F1 needs a proper shake up. Both the TV presentation side and the web reporting side. They really are coming across as very amateur - need to get some professionals in there and start to give subscribers better value for money

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...ded-racing

I quote

"Hamilton finished fifth on Sunday as cooling issues in his Mercedes - along with a broken front wing and lengthy pit-stop - limited the five-time world champion, who has seen his title lead cut down to 29 points."

FFS get the facts correct before you publish an article!! By my maths there remains a 31 point gap between Hamilton and Bottas.

If there was any real alternative I would vote with my feet and cancel my Sky sub. They are crap.

I do like the Martin Brundle articles.
[+] 4 users Like Antilochos's post

Max Verstappen
Verstappen takes Driver of the Day crown from Kubica

Formula 1 has announced that Max Verstappen has been crowned as Driver of the Day for the Austrian Grand Prix, after Robert Kubica’s win following the vote was put down to a ‘technical error’.

The Dutchman was in blistering form at the Red Bull Ring at the weekend. After initially stalling at the starting line, he dropped down to eighth position from second on the grid. 

He went on to celebrate on the podium, but was forced to wait for several hours for the win to be confirmed as stewards investigated his overtake on Leclerc, which was confirmed as being legal on Sunday evening.

In a bizarre turn, Kubica won the public vote for Driver of the Day in Austria despite finishing dead last (again) - no less than three laps adrift of the winner, Verstappen.

F1 said the technical error led to Kubica winning.

“A technical error resulted in Williams’ Robert Kubica being declared the winner after he was incorrectly allocated a number of votes,” a statement said.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

It was a campaign by Poles to vote for him. They're going to do it every race... and it's deeply embarrassing.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post