So, that 5 second penalty ...

(12-06-2019, 09:40 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Morini as I understand it a number of Italian media sources are saying that the appeal will be going in today.

I'll get the popcorn ready. Very ill advised if they go through with it.

How is this even appealable? I thought the race stewards decision was final.

If this gets overturned I will be furious with F1.

I think it can be appealed if Ferrari provide new evidence. The question is what new evidence can they provide? I don't believe driver testimony is considered "evidence" and they already have all the telemetry and camera angles I believe. So I fail to see what new evidence they can provide. If they do though then the FIA should look at it and judge it fairly. If they choose to over turn it, so be it, it is what it is. However, doing so could set a terrible precedent for the sport.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Well, did they appeal in the end? I can't find any articles online confirming one way or another. I thought they had to submit any appeal by today? Or perhaps that means the end of the day? Who knows?

I've found nothing Morini, although I did hear Horner said if they appeal it'll be a waste of time and resources they should be using to focus on upcoming races. We were never likely to hear if an appeal had gone in, but my guess is Ferrari saw the telemetry, they saw the extra video angles and they saw that Vettel chose to lose control of his car to enter the track dangerously to block Lewis getting past

Vettel's last Canada hope gone as Ferrari ditch appeal.

Ferrari have opted not to move forward with an appeal against the decision to penalise Sebastian Vettel in the Canadian Grand Prix, according to multiple reports. The German lost victory in Montreal to Lewis Hamilton after re-joining the circuit unsafely ahead of the Mercedes driver.

Vettel ran wide at Turn 4, swerving onto the grass and then back onto the track, before finally recollecting his car.

Hamilton had to jab on the brakes to avoid a collision, and complained that Vettel was guilty of re-joining unsafely.

Vettel showed his anger by putting the P2 sign that should have been in front of his car in front of Hamilton's instead, while calling the stewards "blind"

The German led much of the race, having secured pole position and Ferrari clearly felt aggrieved, with team principal Mattia Binotto defiantly declaring: "We won."

Ferrari lodged an intention to appeal, giving them 96 hours in order to gain more evidence.

However, both the Daily Mail and Motorsport-Magazin have reported that Ferrari have written to the FIA to inform them that they will not press ahead, meaning the results are now set in stone.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

I just logged on to post a link to this, but Papa beat me to it.

The only sensible option, IMO.

Full story on SKY, Its the point I was getting at/trying to make.

Damon Hill and Johnny Herbert believe a more hands-off approach from officials to wheel-to-wheel racing would benefit the sport, as the debate continues over Sebastian Vettel's controversial Canadian GP sanction.

I don't see sky reporting Ferrari have dropped their appeal though? I saw it on my phone newsfeed, gpfans site I think it was

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/40863...ch-appeal/

Ferrari may use the FIA's 'right of review' to re-examine Sebastian Vettel's Canadian Grand Prix penalty rather than go through with a formal appeal, Motorsport.com has learned.

With a deadline looming for the Italian team to confirm its appeal against Vettel's five-second penalty that cost him the win in Montreal, it is believed that the Italian outfit is considering an alternative action plan.

Yes Morini it was (original post) from GP fans.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post