So, that 5 second penalty ...

Had a good convo with my bro about this over dinner, he's a Lewis fan, and didn't favour the penalty. We covered basically whats been said. He raised a point, Lewis knew exactly was going to happen so kept his foot in it, to get himself into a potential steward inquiry position, lol. But, its happened, not really an impact on the championship, Bottas was no where.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 1 user Likes Monster Hesh's post

Jolyon Palmers column -> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48583803

I know he's not got the best record in F1 himself, but that article sums it all up. I can't argue with any of what he says there.

Okay people I was really hoping for those of you who did not think it was a penalty to come up with reasons why not. That said I forgive you because even the sages on TV, Radio and Internet have not come up with a good explanation either. It is easy to understand why because the ONLY reason it should not have been a penalty is because everyone wants close racing. If that is the case then we need also to do the following things:

A) Do away with the rule of penalizing drivers for leaving the track and gaining an advantage.

B) Do away with the rule of rejoining the track in a safe manner.

C) Do away with the rule about leaving a cars width for your opponent

Too many people are hung up on it not being Vettels fault because he did not have control of his car. I dont know where I read this could even be on here that some are even suggesting Hamilton should have slowed down, really this motor racing not driver courtesy week. Its F1 not Tescos car park. In fact Hamilton HAD to slow down otherwise they were going to crash with a doubt. You want hard racing but expect some to slow down...really!!!!!!

Even more laughable was Vettels comment that Hamilton could have gone up the inside, OMG moronic statement but then the crown prince of Vettels comments as I have previously mentioned why did he make the comment on his radio that if he had stayed inside he (Hamilton) would have got through? Why? Some one explain that to me please.

I am calling BS on you Vettel you did deliberately closed the door. I will point out what has been said before. If Vettel did not wee all over his pants this would not even be a topic for discussion.

Even if we disagree can some of you come back at me with some explanations here. I seriously dont want to get (and I will not) into an argument I just want to understand the mindset no penalty should have been called because to me and in my eyes its an open and closed case.

EDIT: I have rewatched and listened (very closely) and Vettel said Hamilton should have stayed on the inside not as I thought he said that if he (Vettel) had stayed inside Hamilton would have got past him. My mistake. It does not change anything in my eyes but I felt I would point my error out in the interest of being fair. Quite how he expected Hamilton to go on the inside I have no idea. Hamilton stayed on the racing line.

(10-06-2019, 11:37 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Deep breath..
Quite how you stop drivers leaving the track to maintain position is another question I'll admit, maybe ban all rules & have a free for all lol Tongue
(10-06-2019, 08:34 PM)NeilP Wrote:  1) Okay people I was really hoping for those of you who did not think it was a penalty to come up with reasons why not.  That said I forgive you because even the sages on TV, Radio and Internet have not come up with a good explanation either. It is easy to understand why because the ONLY reason it should not have been a penalty is because everyone wants close racing. If that is the case then we need also to do the following things:

A) Do away with the rule of penalizing drivers for leaving the track and gaining an advantage.

B) Do away with the rule of rejoining the track in a safe manner.

C) Do away with the rule about leaving a cars width for your opponent

2) Too many people are hung up on it not being Vettels fault because he did not have control of his car. I dont know where I read this could even be on here that some are even suggesting Hamilton should have slowed down, really this motor racing not driver courtesy week. Its F1 not Tescos car park. In fact Hamilton HAD to slow down otherwise they were going to crash with a doubt.  You want hard racing but expect some to slow down...really!!!!!!

3) Even more laughable was Vettels comment that Hamilton could have gone up the inside, OMG moronic statement but then the crown prince of Vettels comments as I have previously mentioned why did he make the comment on his radio that if he had stayed inside he (Hamilton) would have got through?  Why? Some one explain that to me please.

4) I am calling BS on you Vettel you did deliberately closed the door. I will point out what has been said before.

5)If Vettel did not wee all over his pants this would not even be a topic for discussion.

6) Even if we disagree can some of you come back at me with some explanations here. I seriously dont want to get (and I will not) into an argument I just want to understand the mindset no penalty should have been called because to me and in my eyes its an open and closed case.

EDIT: I have rewatched and listened (very closely) and Vettel said Hamilton should have stayed on the inside not as I thought he said that if he (Vettel) had stayed inside Hamilton would have got past him. My mistake. It does not change anything in my eyes but I felt I would point my error out in the interest of being fair.  Quite how he expected Hamilton to go on the inside I have no idea. Hamilton stayed on the racing line.

Hello mate, as I said in my post black & white the rules were broken.  Smile

1) This > "because everyone wants close racing."

ABC >  "Quite how you stop drivers leaving the track to maintain position is another question I'll admit, maybe ban all rules & have a free for all lol" [Image: tongue.png] 

2) Agreed.

3) You have addressed this with your Edit I think. 

4) Of course Sebastian deliberately closed the door, any racing driver would, Lewis has said "I would have done the same thing as Sebastian had I had gone off" 

5) One of my pet hates is drivers whinging on the radio, love Guenther Steiner dealing with whinging on the radio! Sebastian is a WC at whinging, thing is so is Lewis, most recent example Monaco but both have records of it, so Sebastian is not alone, lets face it most drivers are capable of behaving like children aren't they?

6) We aren't going to get into an argument, we are both dealing with stressful stuff & lets face it disagreeing about this is so unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

I said in my post "black & white the rules were broken."  Agreeing with you.

I also said "So with this set of rules the decision was correct, do I like this rule? NO"

I don't want stewards being so strict, I want drivers to sort it out on the track, or the car park lol Tongue

Ok joking aside > "Okay people I was really hoping for those of you who did not think it was a penalty to come up with reasons why not" 

"because everyone wants close racing." 

I have said the rules were broken, my wish is that the drivers sort it out for themselves, If there is a beef fine, it makes for more drama, sort it out on the track, less going to the stewards like naughty kids, man up! (ok maybe not pc) but I think you all can see what I'm getting at.

Finally this was said partly in jest as I have no idea how to Police this > Quite how you stop drivers leaving the track to maintain position is another question I'll admit, maybe ban all rules & have a free for all lol [Image: tongue.png] 

We all have different views, some see the rules as black & white, some would like to see relaxing of the rules, I don't care If I'm right or wrong with my views, I'll not tell any one my view is the only way or get into an argument about it, the rules were broken BUT I don't like it, just wish I had a better idea how to sort it out as I doubt they will listen to me about the stewards! it left a bad taste in my mouth, Lewis said similar after the race.

Maybe if the brought gravel traps back we wouldn't have this problem, we wouldn't be having this conversation if Sebastian hadn't made a mistake but that's another topic.

My view, less stewards more racing.  Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Thanks for your input Papa.

I genuinely want to understand the other side of the story, was not looking for a fight never will where opinions are concerned everyone is equally entitled to one.

Hope all is as well as can be with you, massive respect!
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Brundles take on the incident. Obviously the guy has forgotten more than I will ever know but agin proves my point there is no valid reason for NOT calling a penalty.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24096/...ontroversy

I would just like to repeat this is absolutely NOT about me being a Hamilton fan it really is about following the rules. Too many double standards in this world across all areas of life and frankly it pisses me off.

Okay people I have probably spoken out too much about this incident this is my last post I promise and I apologise
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(11-06-2019, 05:25 PM)NeilP Wrote:  1) Too many double standards in this world across all areas of life and frankly it pisses me off.

2) Okay people I have probably spoken out too much about this incident this is my last post I promise and I apologise

1) With you there Neil, every day in the papers & news, it does my nut as well. 

2) No need for apology we just chatting, swapping views, all's good.

Positive vibes mate  Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Rumours are that Vettel planted his foot on the accelerator when he was on the grass, which the stewards interpreted as the dangerous thing as he essentially chose to lose control of his car in an attempt to get back on the track in front of Hamilton. If that's the case then Seb knows what he did was wrong. You don't light up your rears when you're on grass if you want to maintain control of an F1 car on the grass. Ferrari apparently are appealing, but I think there is zero chance of the decision been over turned.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

As I understand it, unless anyone knows differently, Ferrari lodged an "intention to appeal". They have until today to actually appeal.

It would be a stupid move if they do. Time to suck it up and move on.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Morini as I understand it a number of Italian media sources are saying that the appeal will be going in today.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post