Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nationality cq patriotism
I am just wondering who is who in our little group here. Not that it makes a difference, but it might help to put things into perspective.

With F1, teams and drivers represent countries. I could not care less, but it seems that this does have a influence on people how they look at the sport and everything that concerns it (and there is nothing wrong with it if it does - again I don't mind).

So my question is; what nationality does everyone have here and how does it effect you regarding F1?

To kick it of, I am Dutch. I don't think much about nationality and think patriotism is a silly thing, even a handicap for enjoying a good sport. 
This is me as a person, but looking at where I live it might make sense. I live in the southern part of The Netherlands (very close were the Verstappens live, Montfort NL and Maaseik B) and we live in a narrow part with Germany on one side and Belgium on the other. Down here we speak a dialect, enjoy a more burgundian lifestyle and think people up north are more up tight. My fellow countrymen like to say we in the south are bad German speaking Belgiums.... Maybe that has something to do with it, the way I feel, but maybe it does not.
Enfin. I just like to see drivers and teams fight, no matter their nationality. Fight a hard battle, sweat and tears, maybe some blood here and there. That is what I want. Gladiators without a home, without any other cause to fight then to win. And yes, I am making to much of a drama out of it...
Oh, I am not sensitive about this stuff, so don't hold back coming at me.

PS. Mercedes is German, Morini...
[-] The following 3 users Like Antilochos's post:
  • DRicc, PapaofGags, forzaferrari
(09-06-2019, 10:53 PM)Antilochos Wrote: So my question is; what nationality does everyone have here and how does it effect you regarding F1?

I'm Welsh first, British second.

Welsh people tend to support their nation in everything, but particularly rugby union. It's part of the culture and growing up in Wales supporting your nation quickly becomes "normal". Wales don't have any Formula 1 drivers so I will give my support to any British team(s) and driver(s) because I am also British (that's what my passport says anyway) Big Grin. That does not mean I do not respect talented drivers from other nations, I do. But while there are British drivers on the grid I will always support them. I understand that some people don't "get this", but I make no apologies for the way I am Wink

Actually, the Dutch folk seem to be this way inclined as well given how much orange there is on show when Holland play football.

(09-06-2019, 10:53 PM)Antilochos Wrote: PS. Mercedes is German, Morini...

Yes, I know Mercedes the car manufacturer is certainly German and that makes their AMG F1 arm German too, technically speaking. However, they are based in the UK in Brackley and Brixworth and F1 as a sport has always been awash with UK talent. Yes they are German, but the F1 team has a very British core and heritage. That's where I am coming from when I say (tongue in cheek) "Mercedes AMG F1 are British".   Tongueout
[-] The following 3 users Like morini's post:
  • PapaofGags, Antilochos, forzaferrari
(10-06-2019, 08:02 AM)morini Wrote:
(09-06-2019, 10:53 PM)Antilochos Wrote: So my question is; what nationality does everyone have here and how does it effect you regarding F1?

I'm Welsh first, British second.

Welsh people tend to support their nation in everything, but particularly rugby union. It's part of the culture and growing up in Wales supporting your nation quickly becomes "normal". Wales don't have any Formula 1 drivers so I will give my support to any British team(s) and driver(s) because I am also British (that's what my passport says anyway) Big Grin. That does not mean I do not respect talented drivers from other nations, I do. But while there are British drivers on the grid I will always support them. I understand that some people don't "get this", but I make no apologies for the way I am Wink

^^^ This word for word.    Big Grin 

I'm fiercely patriotic, Welsh/Brits first, always in every sport.

I'm not one eyed, of course I recognise talent & follow sportsmen/women of any Nationality, as we are talking about F1, there are many drivers from other nations that I have followed, in my eyes Senna is the best I have ever seen, over the years I have followed/recognised the talent in many drivers including, Villeneuve, Lauda, Prost, Alonso & Schumacher to name a few of the top of my head. 

My Avatar should show I'm a big Max Fan, Daniel, Kimi & Nico also.

Brits have been spoilt with Lewis being so successful & when he retires I will be Following George & Lando first as they are Brits, whilst enjoying/recognising the talent of the other top drivers.

Quote Anti > "My fellow countrymen like to say we in the south are bad German speaking Belgiums."

Mate this is tame, the shit we Celts get off our English cousins.... Rolleyes 

That's partly why we like to smash them on the rugby field!  Laughing
"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like PapaofGags's post:
  • morini, Antilochos, forzaferrari
Hey Anti, playing catch up here, I hold British, Irish & Spanish passports...although see myself as Northern Irish, can be very patriotic in some regards...ie boxing & motorcycle racing, but generally when it comes to sports I like who I like regardless of what part of the globe they hail from....makes no difference to me. As I have said many times I am not a big fan of any one driver, first and foremost I am a f1 fan and secondly a Ferrari fan ( if you hadnt noticed lol)........if pushed to pick a favourite current driver it would have to be Kimi, closely followed by Max or CLC.

Back to the "patriotic" thing, imo there is nowt wrong with being patriotic.....but.....take Eddie Irvine for example (or John Watson)....why would I support a driver who I think is a complete dickhead just because he happened to be born in the same country as me?
"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[-] The following 2 users Like forzaferrari's post:
  • PapaofGags, Foghorn Leghorn
(12-06-2019, 10:20 AM)forzaferrari Wrote: CLC.

why would I support a driver who I think is a complete dickhead just because he happened to be born in the same county as me?

Bugger I was posting in a hurry & forgot about Charles, defo like this lad.   Cool 

Hehe, now I'm reading between the lines mate.     Tongue    Laughing
"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Cool
[-] The following 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post:
  • forzaferrari
Nice replays guys.
Without judgement thought, I still don't get patriotism. I mean, some people I don't know and probably will never know won in a sport they compete in (and getting rich doing it). It effects my life in no way. I don't get any money or something. Those guys won, not me. Do they represent me? No, I never asked them or choose them. I never choose team. And what is a nationality? Only passport. If I would support all Dutch sportsmen (and women ofcourse!), would I need to change that if I immigrated to Germany? If not, why? Geniticly I might have more in common with some Germans than with Dutch people, culturaly I might be more Belgium, politicaly I would be North Korean (just making a point...). Would makes you support a team, in some cases even violently?
British. When it comes to annual sports, I go with the British mantra of supporting the underdog(s), no matter who they are or where they are from. I really dont have allegiances to any one sports person and team. Only really in MotoGP did I fully back a rider, Dani Pedrosa.

I only get patriotic at quadrennial events, Mainly in in the Olympics, but even then, I end up cheering for anyone and everyone. I think I end up cheering for participants from the home nation more.
Seriously looking forward to Tokyo 2020, because you just know if a Japanese participant wins, the crowd are going to loose their minds, and hearing those cheers are what makes the event so great. It's why London 2012 was one the best sporting events I've ever witnessed, because it was the UK winning and our crowd going crazy, loved it.

In sports I just don't enjoy repeat winners, the more they win, the less I want to see it. Except "The Rocket" Ronnie O'Sullivan, I do enjoy watching him repeatedly win, purely because (arguably) he is the best at their respective sports. However, even then, I'm usually rooting for his opponent, because of the underdog mantra.
I'm English, as such, I crave disappointment. That's why I support McLaren.
[-] The following 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post:
  • PapaofGags, forzaferrari
(15-06-2019, 10:08 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote: British. When it comes to annual sports, I go with the British mantra of supporting the underdog(s), no matter who they are or where they are from. I really dont have allegiances to any one sports person and team. Only really in MotoGP did I fully back a rider, Dani Pedrosa.

I only get patriotic at quadrennial events, Mainly in in the Olympics, but even then, I end up cheering for anyone and everyone. I think I end up cheering for participants from the home nation more.
Seriously looking forward to Tokyo 2020, because you just know if a Japanese participant wins, the crowd are going to loose their minds, and hearing those cheers are what makes the event so great. It's why London 2012 was one the best sporting events I've ever witnessed, because it was the UK winning and our crowd going crazy, loved it.

In sports I just don't enjoy repeat winners, the more they win, the less I want to see it. Except "The Rocket" Ronnie O'Sullivan, I do enjoy watching him repeatedly win, purely because (arguably) he is the best at their respective sports. However, even then, I'm usually rooting for his opponent, because of the underdog mantra.

I'm a massive Ronnie fan as well. I like him on and off the table, a bloke who's not afraid to speak his own mind whoever he might upset. That said, if he's in a match against Mark Williams I will be shouting for Mark! I'm of a completely different mindset to you with respect to continued success, I like to see it as I think it is very special when sportsmen / women match and then beat long established records. Set a new target for the next generation to match and beat. 

In events where I am a genuine neutral then I will support the underdog and I agree that is a very British trait.

I'd be very happy to see Wales win every rugby union match from now until the day I die Wink It ain't going to happen, but I can dream as much as the next dude.
[-] The following 3 users Like morini's post:
  • forzaferrari, PapaofGags, Monster Hesh
"Nationalism" - hmm - interesting for me. I've expanded on this myself in the past. Sorry if I missed some of your finer points.

1) A Person
2) A Stoner
3) Ahhh, fond of a drink
4) What did you say say?
5) I'll cut you
6) Irish
7) see points 1 through 6, hahaha Smile

other people have more pride than me though Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pla9NKFRb84
"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[-] The following 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post:
  • forzaferrari, PapaofGags, Monster Hesh
Hey Fog, nice to hear from you again, you been in hibernation?
"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[-] The following 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post:
  • PapaofGags