2019 Canadian GP

The quicker we move on from that snooze fest the better. Great drive from Lewis to nurse his car home, but it was bloody boring to watch.

Next up Canada, and if Binotto is right about the issues they have with their car they'll be closer to Merc and probably ahead of the Red Bull, but honestly... I can't see past a Mercedes win. Perhaps the red cars can get in amongst them though.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Surely the C3 will be the race tyre here, although there's not much in terms of "wear" for tyres to worry about, apart from some heavy breaking zones, Montreals surface is very abrasive, and that can cause problems. I guess the reason they've gone the three softest compounds is to try and mix up the strategy and maybe force a two stop race. So having said all that I'm surprised Hamilton and the two Ferrari drivers take only one set each of the C3's. I guess Mercedes will do there usual split running in FP2 to try and work out which tyres are best for Sunday. Seems mental, but even so early on in this season this race feels very important:

1) Can Bottas hit back against Lewis
2) Will Ferrari be competitive
3) Will Honda bring yet another updated engine?
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

The tyre selections normally gravitate towards parity by the end of the practice sessions, so I doubt there'll be an advantage to be gained amongst the front running teams. I hope there are more pitstops as we could do with a proper race. Not been a classic season in terms of racing, so far.

This is a Ham speciality circuit, but he was surprisingly very off his best last year. I hope Ferrari hit back. They don't deserve the amount of flak they are getting. It is a good car, but it must be demoralising seeing the silver team faster and mostly mistake free.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Last year Lewis' PU1 was on it's 7th race and he didn't have the higher engine modes available to him. Bonnington did a pitwall on it, his whole weekend was hampered because they couldn't bring the second engines to the car until France. Bottas' engine had lower wear apparently and in quali at least he had full party mode. I don't think Mercedes will want to take their first engine to an 7th race again. Sure they'll want to swap it back in for Hungary because why bother right? But asking the first engine to do Bahrain, Baku, China and Canada as well as Australia, Spain and Monaco isn't wise.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Every race it seems we are told Ferrari will be on point, now we are being told they will be great on this power circuit .

I AM NOT buying it. I think Mercedes will 'power' to another victory barring unforeseen circumstances, both their drivers have good/great records in Canada. In my opinion a closer fight will be Ferrari's fight with Red Bull, I fancy Verstappen to get a good result here maybe even a podium.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(01-06-2019, 03:18 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Every race it seems we are told Ferrari will be on point, now we are being told they will be great on this power circuit .

I AM NOT buying it. I think Mercedes will 'power' to another victory barring unforeseen circumstances, both their drivers have good/great records in Canada. In my opinion a closer fight will be Ferrari's fight with Red Bull, I fancy Verstappen to get a good result here maybe even a podium.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 
Hamilton
Bottas
Verstappen
Maybe Verstappen will battle Leclerc and Vettel, but that is about it. Mercedes will be dominant, again.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

The truth is NeilP I don't think Ferrari will be competitive in Canada, they should be competitive here if they're going to be competitive anywhere, if they're not they'll be in for one hell of a season. Realistically they should be competitive in the next four races at least, Montreal, Paul Riccard, Austria and Silverstone should suit them a bit more, but the underlying issues with their car need to be sorted otherwise they'll just lose buckets of time in the slow speed corners and medium corners.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff on Canada: "We (have been) very strong in the corners but lost time on the straights. This will make Canada a huge challenge for us as the track could favour our opponents"...........Yeah right Toto, we believe you, honestly Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

If I didn't know he was just bluffing I'd suggest Toto was clinically insane. I think they probably will lose out on the long straights in Canada, but the slow and medium corners they will utterly boss, they'll moster S2, and probably go exceedingly well in S1. It's mainly S3 where they'll "struggle", well, relative to Ferrari. I do think the red cars should be more competitive here, but given Merc are expecting to bring a new PU to Canada, and that it's supposed to bring a nice bhp bump we'll see. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised to see another Merc one two.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post