2019 Canadian GP

Nicholas Latifi – Williams’ reserve driver – will get his first practice outing with the team in Friday’s opening session.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I think Williams are lining Latifi up to replace Kubica, he's not performing, it's clear, and his feedback so far on the car seems utterly mystified. He's been out of the sport far too long I think and his injury has obviously restricted him as well. Time to hang his F1 gloves up forever I think.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(04-06-2019, 12:28 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think Williams are lining Latifi up to replace Kubica,

You might well be right Jody, Robert doesn't seem to be able to match George, no chance for Ocon?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Tyre temperature will be a ‘challenge’ in Canada.

Balancing tyre temperatures will be a “challenge” for the Formula 1 drivers this weekend when they race at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, that’s according to Pirelli.

The Canadian track is a high-speed street circuit that makes use of public roads.

It is all about traction and braking with its long straights and heavy braking areas.

As such Pirelli motorsport boss Mario Isola says getting heat into the tyres will be one of the biggest challenges facing the drivers this weekend.

“Broadly speaking, our nomination for Canada is about the same as last year, when the hypersoft also made its second appearance of the year after Monaco,” said Isola.

“The main difference is that the hardest compound available this weekend is a bit harder than last year, and there is no equivalent of the supersoft in the 2019 range, so the choices are more spread out.

“While we have the same nomination as Monaco, a few of the teams have compared Montreal more with Baku – where we made a harder selection – because of the higher speeds, longer straights, and the challenge of balancing tyre temperatures across the front and rear of the car.

“Montreal is also a race that contains plenty of variety, in terms of strategy, on-track action and weather.

“The teams always go into it not knowing quite what to expect, so it’s especially important to accumulate as much tyre data as possible in order to be able to make an informed reaction to changing circumstances.”

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Someone should tell Mario the tyres have been more than just a "challenge" at every race so far.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Agreed Forza, when every team is saying it's nigh on impossible to keep them in the operating wondow, you know it's the tyres not the car. Every team this season has had at least two track where they just couldn't get the tyres working.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

There's a Mark Hughes article up on Sky

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...-strengths

I know the guy is quite well respected and I think this article is mostly believable, but sometimes I feel he talks nonsense. 

It is probably true Ferrari have a more slippery car this year but I have a hunch their superior straight line speed has been as a result of simply turning the volume knob up higher than Mercedes have been prepared to. Also, in his analysis of Baku and the 0.2 difference back to Vettel he has omitted the fact that Hamilton lost a significant chunk of time through the first couple corners.

Anyway, Saturday will tell us if he's right or not.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

There have been tweaks made to the circuit with the layout around the hairpin altered to try and encourage more overtaking.

In addition, a DRS zone has been moved from the pit straight to between Turns 9 and 10 meaning the rear wing can now be opened on three consecutive straights.

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Anyone going to be watching P1 in 45 minutes?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(07-06-2019, 02:13 PM)morini Wrote:  Anyone going to be watching P1 in 45 minutes?

Yup  Cool