Sad News as Niki Lauda Passes

Sad day for the F1 Family as Niki Lauda has passed away.

He will always be remembered for his amazing comeback after severe burns in an accident.

Rest in Peace Niki you will be a big loss to many

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48345660

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

RIP Niki, the sport has lost a true great, a hero, a man worthy of the term LEGEND.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

Funnily enough, we were only wishing him well yesterday. Tuesday is my travel to site day so I heard about his passing on the 6:00 news. A true Legend of F1. Very sad, my thoughts with his family and close friends

RIP Niki, the F1 paddock will not be the same without you.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Everybody will miss Niki, we are fan's of the racer & more importantly the man, intelligent, straight talking, brave, multiple WDC & most importantly a nice bloke.

Not many are made the way Niki was, respect.

We will miss you.

R.I.P. Niki

Wolff pays homage to "irreplaceable hero" Lauda

Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff has paid tribute to the late Niki Lauda, saying the Austrian was "irreplaceable" and a "hero".

Wolff said with Lauda's passing, Mercedes had lost a "guiding light"

"First of all, on behalf of the team and all at Mercedes, I wish to send our deepest condolences to Birgit, Niki's children, his family and close friends," said Wolff in a statement sent by Mercedes.

"Niki will always remain one of the greatest legends of our sport - he combined heroism, humanity and honesty inside and outside the cockpit.

"His passing leaves a void in Formula 1. We haven't just lost a hero who staged the most remarkable comeback ever seen, but also a man who brought precious clarity and candour to modern Formula 1. He will be greatly missed as our voice of common sense.

"Our Mercedes team has also lost a guiding light. As a teammate over the past six and a half years, Niki was always brutally honest - and utterly loyal.

"It was a privilege to count him among our team and moving to witness just how much it meant to him to be part of the team's success. Whenever he walked the floor in Brackley and Brixworth, or delivered one of his famous motivational speeches, he brought an energy that nobody else could replicate.

"Niki, you are quite simple irreplaceable, there will never be another like you. It was our honour to call you our Chairman - and my privilege to call you my friend."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Sky F1 channel have altered todays listings to remember Niki Lauda.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Some very touching tributes to the great man online today. Not least the post Lewis Hamilton released on Instagram. I don't use instagram myself, but I see it has just been put up on the Sky website.

Me, i will miss his straight up style when interviewed by media.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Another mourning race weekend....
Will be truly missed.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 4 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/artic...r0wEz.html

But, equally, none better illustrates his zany sense of humour and refusal to take himself too seriously, than his response when informed that a book of every driver's race statistics ironically did not actually record him as starting the 1976 German GP because the first start, in which he had crashed, did not count as it was officially replaced by a second.

“So what happened to my ear?” he enquired amid laughter.

Forty years later, he ‘discovered’ the answer. He and his close friend Karl-Heinz Zimmermann, formerly Bernie Ecclestone’s personal chef, went to Nurburgring and visited the Bergwerk corner.

“You’re Niki Lauda!” a nearby fan exclaimed.

“I know.”

“But what are you doing here?”

“I’m looking for my ear…”

At which point Lauda ducked down and picked something up and placed it near his head. It was a pig’s ear that Zimmermann had just dropped there…

One of my favourite`s

On opening his eyes and seeing the priest who had not long before administered the last rights Niki in his usual no bullshit manner said  " fuck off, i`m not dead yet"

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post