How do Ferrari or RBR stop Mercedes?

Having lived & worked in Italy for a while (7 never ending months lol) I know exactly what you mean with the Italian media Jody, super critical bordering on fanatic.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(12-05-2019, 04:55 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  We go to Monaco and Canada for the next two races, one the slowest track on the circuit, the other one of the quickest, if Mercedes take another couple of 1 - 2's at these two tracks barring mechanical disasters or coming togethers I don't think we'll see anyone challenge them, because their car is that dominant.

You are right about the Merc being dominant - and all credit to them for it. I am more concerned with what their dominance is doing to racing . Who, apart from the fanbois, wants to watch Lewis (or anyone for that matter) drive around on his own at the front for 2 hours? Because after the first corner, that's more or less what happened yesterday and not for the first time. All the actual racing is happening in the mid-field, where the cars are more evenly matched. Interesting, but I would like to see some real racing at the front as well.
Do we want a 2-tier version of F1 with Merc way out front, followed by Ferrari and RB (in whatever order) and then the rest a long way behind? It seems to have been like this since the beginning of the hybrid era, with no sign of anything changing any time soon. In fact its completely depressing that in the 6th season of the hybrids, Merc are as dominant (perhaps more so) as they were in the first season. I know ppl will say that we always have had periods of one team dominating, but this feels different. At least in the past (even in the Schumacher and RB eras), other teams were part of the mix. I thought Ferrari and RB might be catching up, but no - we have some rule changes and they fall behind again.
Any of you with a practical answer to solving this - contact all the other teams asap Smile
[+] 1 user Likes DRicc's post

DRicc actually the Deltas during the Ferrari and RBR dominant eras were bigger than the deltas Merc enjoyed in 2014 and 2015, although 2016 was actually just as bad, 2017 and 2018 they were actually behind Ferrari on the deltas, but it was close. This year? Bahrain aside, well it's McLaren MP4 era domination, it's a bigger gap than Mercedes have actually enjoyed in the current hybrid era. However, it's not engine related this time, that Ferrari engine is just as good if not slightly better. The truth is the sport has tried limiting Mercedes domination through a number of rules changes and they've taken it in their stride. It's down to other teams to catch them. I don't like the domination either, but it's what we have, it's not ideal for the sport, but it's what we have. I'd like to see RBR and Ferrari challenge them and make cars that can compete, but that's on them.

(13-05-2019, 12:39 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  DRicc actually the Deltas during the Ferrari and RBR dominant eras were bigger than the deltas Merc enjoyed in 2014 and 2015, although 2016 was actually just as bad, 2017 and 2018 they were actually behind Ferrari on the deltas, but it was close. This year? Bahrain aside, well it's McLaren MP4 era domination, it's a bigger gap than Mercedes have actually enjoyed in the current hybrid era. However, it's not engine related this time, that Ferrari engine is just as good if not slightly better. The truth is the sport has tried limiting Mercedes domination through a number of rules changes and they've taken it in their stride. It's down to other teams to catch them. I don't like the domination either, but it's what we have, it's not ideal for the sport, but it's what we have. I'd like to see RBR and Ferrari challenge them and make cars that can compete, but that's on them.

I don't really follow the 'technical' or 'records' side of the sport - just what I actually see. However, I did look up the amount of wins that RB had during Vettel's 4 WDC years, compared to the amount of Merc wins for the first 4 years of the hybrid era. RB had just over half the available wins in those 4 years, whereas Merc had almost three quarters of the available wins in 4 'hybrid' years. And that's without looking at the number of 'one/two's' they had.

I remember the McLaren domination and it was pretty boring. Don't think it lasted quite as long as this tho - as I said, 6 years in and its beginning to look like the first year of Merc's domination again.

Schumy's Ferrari years were boring too, although other ppl did win. At least he was quite 'edgy' and you never knew what he was going to do on a race weekend: 'accidentally' bump into a rival on the track to stop them beating him, or threatening to punch another driver who he blamed for a crash. Not very politically correct, but entertaining nonetheless.

Merc are an extremely clever team, who build brilliant race cars. But its all a bit too clinical for me, almost robotic: even, dare I say it, a bit soulless. Where's the passion?
[+] 2 users Like DRicc's post

(13-05-2019, 07:21 PM)DRicc Wrote:  threatening to punch another driver who he blamed for a crash.

Not very politically correct, but entertaining nonetheless.

Those were the days!   Tongue Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(13-05-2019, 07:21 PM)DRicc Wrote:   But its all a bit too clinical for me, almost robotic: even, dare I say it, a bit soulless. Where's the passion?

You would almost think they where German...eh Morini?  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(12-05-2019, 07:54 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Good God, apparently the TV crew over at Sky Italy are already saying Ferrari should concentrate on their 2021 car and spend whatever it takes to sign Hamilton. I really hope we don't see teams writing off 2020 to "challenge" Mercedes in 2021. That'll cause huge problems for the sport. I think I'd like to see Ferrari and RBR develop their cars this year for a barnstorming 2020. I want to see Max in a car he can challenge with and Ferrari having a car they can compete with too. Right now I think Mercedes might be off in the sunset with the 2019 season already, but giving up on 2020 as well? That's just depressing.

Very good point. Like we, the fans, are also just sitting around and wait a couple of years and tens of races only to see that maybe, maybe teams start competing again.
But from a team and sportsmen perspective; who at Ferrari and Red Bull want to give up now and look at 2021? What are they going to do the next 1.5 year?

I agree that Mercedes is extremely good and this year they are so far ahead, they might be the most dominant team ever in F1. But there is no reason to give up and certainly not on 2020! If you do that, you have no place in this sport (or any sport for that matter).

Back to your basic question though, I have no clue what Red Bull or Ferrari can do to fight Mercedes right now. But then again, I'm just a regular fan with no knowledge of the technique. 
Lets keep in mind that if Mercedes can produce a car like this, Ferrari and Red Bull must be capable to figure it out as well.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Merc are an extremely clever team, who build brilliant race cars. But its all a bit too clinical for me, almost robotic: even, dare I say it, a bit soulless. Where's the passion?

Dricc. Even though I am a Mercedes and Hamilton fan I got to say I agree with you it is without passion and soul. I put a lot of that down to drivers who today are almost more computer savvy than driving savvy, and the cars that are metronomic in their behaviour. It does make me appreciate what I saw in my earlier years of F1 when there were practically no driver aids and the guys relied on their minds and bodies to drive.

Like many things that change as we age we at first like the progress but then as we age further we long for the good old days at least that is my excuse (58 YO).

The midfield is more exciting this year but the front runners no so much. I have to say though I am enjoying all the new young drivers who to me are all performing exceptionally well., apart from that Giovinazzi guy!!!

This next event just totally bores me to tears. Will I watch, Sigh, Yes I will, will I enjoy it, No I will not. I would like to take a Jeroboam of Moet and ram the bottle down Careys mouth. If you are going to drop ANY event Chase THIS IS THE ONE!!!!

(13-05-2019, 10:55 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Merc are an extremely clever team, who build brilliant race cars. But its all a bit too clinical for me, almost robotic: even, dare I say it, a bit soulless. Where's the passion?

Dricc. Even though I am a Mercedes and Hamilton fan I got to say I agree with you it is without passion and soul. I put a lot of that down to drivers who today are almost more computer savvy than driving savvy, and the cars that are metronomic in their behaviour. It does make me appreciate what I saw in my earlier years of F1 when there were practically no driver aids and the guys relied on their minds and bodies to drive.

Like many things that change as we age we at first like the progress but then as we age further we long for the good old days at least that is my excuse (58 YO).

The midfield is more exciting this year but the front runners no so much. I have to say though I am enjoying all the new young drivers who to me are all performing exceptionally well., apart from that Giovinazzi guy!!!

This next event just totally bores me to tears. Will I watch, Sigh, Yes I will, will I enjoy it, No I will not. I would like to take a Jeroboam of Moet and ram the bottle down Careys mouth. If you are going to drop ANY event Chase THIS IS THE ONE!!!!

Absolutely agree with you about the mid-field battles and the new guys. In fact why don't we just dump Merc, Ferrari and RB, then we would be left with much more exciting races! (thats a joke btw). 
I beat you on the age front: 63 this year and been watching F1 for more than 50 years, so seen lots of changes, not always for the better. Think Liberty might finish it for me tho, especially if they drop tracks like Barca and Silverstone in favour of street circuits in China and the US. In my opinion, F1 is a series that should run on racing tracks, not ordinary roads. That's what helps to make it special. If you want racing on street circuits there's always Formula E  Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like DRicc's post

Think Liberty might finish it for me tho, especially if they drop tracks like Barca and Silverstone in favour of street circuits in China and the US. In my opinion, F1 is a series that should run on racing tracks, not ordinary roads. That's what helps to make it special. If you want racing on street circuits there's always Formula E

I am in total agreement. I dont think these guys realize what F1 means to its fans and in all honesty there is no way the casual fan viewing would ever make up for true F1 fan many of whom are becoming very disillusioned with the direction Liberty are going with.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post