2019 Monaco GP

I'm falling out of love with F1 too. It's not just because of Mercedes dominance either, we've had eras like it before, and yeah, sure, it doesn't help, but tyre saving, engine saving and all the other crap that surrounds the sport is just turning me off. I'm at the end of my tether with Liberty Media, I think the direction of travel is wrong, I think they're looking at the wrong things to change, and I'm not sure if the decisions are as wrong as I think they'll turn out to be, whether F1 will be salvageable...

And yes the Hindu Cow comment was meant as a compliment, I've been in a similar zen like state with McLaren for over a decade too. We have some of the fastest tracks in F1 coming up after Monaco in Montreal, Paul Riccard, Österreichring and Silverstone, my hope is that these four tracks at least bring Ferrari back into play... my fear is that if they don't the Silver Arrows will literally win every race this season. That is not a healthy place for F1 to be.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Yeah, its nothing to do with Mercs domination, they fully deserve the credit....leagues ahead in all departments.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Well of course I forgot its a 'rest day' at Monaco ( Is that just so the rich and famous can get pissed up and not miss anything... God I loathe this date on the F1 calendar).

I must confess even me and my Mercedes and Hamilton fanhood are disappointed with the season, I was expecting a real battle that has failed to materialize. Why did we get here are Mercedes THAT dominant? Ferrari screwed up their car I get that but also what has happened at Red Bull (By the way I am absolutely NOT writing off Verstappen yet this weekend).

I think we are all loosely speaking in agreement that F1 is not doing well under the stewardship of Liberty Media and to be honest with you I think F1 as we know it is dying and dying faster than we realize. Jody made the comment about how long Mercedes will remain in the sport and my personal opinion is if they do not like where we are going in the next 2/3 years they may well pull out. I have a gut feeling we are going to lose some of the iconic races over the next few years and that makes me madder than hell that this charade of a race exists. The rush to so many new street circuits does not suit F1 cars in my opinion.

We do go on and on about overtaking but as well as the cars themselves you also have to look at the circuits raced on. Monaco is tough to impossible (I am talking front runners here not the 'rest'). Albert Park, Singapore, Barcelona, Hungaroring are all difficult to overtake too. Its no coincidence most fan favourites Silverstone, Suzuka , Monza and Spa its possible to overtake.

Trying to find positives here and I think the biggest one that stands out to me so far here at Monaco was the performance of Alexander Albon. I have to be honest I thought he was a good driver in F2 but nothing else he has been a revelation to me so far this season. Good to see a decent mix of cars in the top ten but lets see what qualifying brings. What the heck is going on at Renault, so disappointed in them this year and sad for Ricciardo.

A final (for now) thought is Ricciardo becoming a wild card for Ferrari in 2021
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

Daddy Strollalong`s boat is too big to fit in the harbour..... just one of the problems the rich face on a daily basis..

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 6 users Like forzaferrari's post

Raikkonen: ‘Honestly, I don’t like Monaco at all’

Kimi Raikkonen has voiced his displeasure about the current layout of the Monte Carlo circuit, saying he does not “like Monaco at all”.

“It might be a nice place to watch, but honestly I don’t like Monaco at all,” said Raikkonen.

“It is no longer the track that I drove when I was here for the first time.

“The swimming pool corner was tighter, the first corner had a barrier, and the rest was changed as well.

“Before, the driver was able to make a difference here, but not anymore.

“Now, the fast car is always at the top.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

I find myself in 100% agreement with Kimi again. I just don't think Monaco can be saved as a race spectacle.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Unfortunately while there is Moet to be sipped and celebs to get selfies with I think it will remain on the calendar, Liberty want/love this kind of spectacle with pics in all the glossy mags worldwide, if that cost comes at the price of poor racing and upset f1 fans in their eyes so be it....these are the arseholes who only seem interested in reproducing "a superbowl atmosphere" every other weekend....the racing is just a by-product.

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(24-05-2019, 07:27 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  these are the arseholes who only seem interested in reproducing "a superbowl atmosphere" every other weekend....the racing is just a by-product.

You are so right. Initially I had reservations when Bernie sold out to an American media company. Now they have been running the show for a while and we can all see the direction LM are taking F1 it is clear they are worst possible choice. At complete odds with all the good bits of F1.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Well of course I forgot its a 'rest day' at Monaco ( Is that just so the rich and famous can get pissed up and not miss anything... God I loathe this date on the F1 calendar).

You can always watch Indy 500 instead this weekend Wink But I agree, I wouldn't miss this race if it were axed. Watching the drivers on it on saturday is something to behold though.

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I must confess even me and my Mercedes and Hamilton fanhood are disappointed with the season, I was expecting a real battle that has failed to materialize. Why did we get here are Mercedes THAT dominant?  Ferrari screwed up their car I get that but also what has happened at Red Bull (By the way I am absolutely NOT writing off Verstappen yet this weekend).

The other teams are not doing a good enough job. Simple as that. Can't realy blame Mercedes for the way it is this year. They have built a great, great car and a lot of the credit should go to JA, the other teams have not done as well. Red Bull can't really make the engine excuse this year, it isn't that far off. I think the reason they aren't clear team 2 this year is because of aero compromises they have needed to make to integrate the new PU. Whatever Horner and Marko may say I think swapping engine suppliers isn't plug and play, it takes a couple of years to iron out little problems.

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I think we are all loosely speaking in agreement that F1 is not doing well under the stewardship of Liberty Media and to be honest with you I think F1 as we know it is dying and dying faster than we realize. Jody made the comment about how long Mercedes will remain in the sport and my personal opinion is if they do not like where we are going in the next 2/3 years they may well pull out. I have a gut feeling we are going to lose some of the iconic races over the next few years and that makes me madder than hell that this charade of a race exists.  The rush to so many new street circuits does not suit F1 cars in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mercedes drop F1 and focus all its effort into FE. However much I hate it, electric cars are here to stay and the worlds governments are hell bent on making internal combustion engines a thing of the past. Ironically, getting rid of petrol cars won't be any better for the environment, it just moves the point of polution to the power stations. Electric cars may be zero emissions at the point of use, but they sure as hell are NOT zero emissions in entirety.

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  We do go on and on about overtaking but as well as the cars themselves you also have to look at the circuits raced on. Monaco is tough to impossible

To highlight your point Sky showed the 1992 Monaco race on Thursday night. I remember it very well, so watched it as it was on. Exciting to watch, what with unfortunate circumtsances putting our Nige second on the track in his williams behind Senna in his McLaren (with shot tyres). The delta was 5 seconds per lap and Nige was all over Senna's gearbox for quite a few laps at the end. Couldn't get past, but it was fun to watch.

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Trying to find positives here and I think the biggest one that stands out to me so far here at Monaco was the performance of Alexander Albon.

I really like the lad. He's proving worthy of a seat in F1 for sure.

(24-05-2019, 03:22 PM)NeilP Wrote:  A final (for now) thought is Ricciardo becoming a wild card for Ferrari in 2021

I don't see it myself. I think unless Renault ace the 2021 regulations Riccardo may have finished his career by leaving Red Bull.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I think I agree with everything you've said Morini. Unless the world accepts the need for nuclear energy or a return to washing clothes by hand we're all fucked.

As to Honda RBR, I think it's well known the the Honda engine wasn't just plug and play for RBR. I think in the race the Honda PU isn't far off of Mercedes and Ferrari, but it doesn't have the peak performance over one lap of the other two. Simple reality is the Mercedes is just a much better car.

As to Monaco, it has never been a good race really. It's not even a spectacle anymore, and will become less so if LM continue with these street circuits. I mean what will be unique about Monaco? Apart from it being crap? It'll stay on the calendar as a tradition, but even it's lure for celebs is being matched by other tracks now as they step up the glitz and glam, Paul Riccard attracted a load last year.

I'll watch qualifying, but I'm not entirely sure I'll watch the race tomorrow, depend on how nice the weather is here, and if a trip to the beach is in order.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post