Bloody tyres

Alexander Wurz doesnt think much of the 18" wheels nor the added weight either

https://www.f1-fansite.com/f1-news/gpda-...ch-wheels/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(07-11-2019, 05:05 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  nor the added weight either

Heard Lewis & Sebastian saying they listened to us "a bit" but both complained about the weight of the new cars.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(07-11-2019, 05:22 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Heard Lewis & Sebastian saying they listened to us "a bit" but both complained about the weight of the new cars.

I "listen" to Mrs F once in a while also, doesnt mean I take it on board  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(07-11-2019, 05:27 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I "listen" to Mrs F once in a while also, doesnt mean I take it on board  Tongue

Haha now who's "obviously out of arms reach/ firing range"  lol Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-11-2019, 05:53 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:              Haha now who's "obviously out of arms reach/ firing range"  lol   Laughing

touché  Wink

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

The 2021 rules I don't think will be the solution they think they'll be. As someone who is a designer I think they solved the wrong problem. The issue could be problematised in two ways:

1) the cars create a wake which makes them hard to follow.

2) the cars can't follower closely in a wake.

You might think the two statements are the same, and technically they are, however the first views the wake as the problem, whereas the second views the car as the problem. The FIA clearly viewed the wake as the issue. I'd argue it's the cars not being able to drive in the wake, the solution shouldn't have been about reducing the wake, and thus speed of the cars, but should have been about putting technology on the cars to make the impact of the wake less.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(08-11-2019, 11:43 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I'd argue it's the cars not being able to drive in the wake

Fair point, and I agree. But with today’s aero performance the only way around it is to stop the cars sliding around in dirty air. They aren't going to easily achieve that with external tweaks to front and rear wings (IMO).

<rewind 25+ years>
Why don't we glue the cars to the track with ground effect skirts?
</rewind 25+ years>

Great idea, but with the current hybrid PU capability that will mean potentially insane cornering speeds and I can't see the FIA being happy about that.

No "one size fits all" answer to this, but I think reducing the wake disturbance is the generally safer approach (as opposed to increasing downforce).

I think for me it's not necessarily just about increasing the down force, but maybe changing where the downforce comes from. I'm not sure 2021 will have resolved the issues. In fact we only have to look to Indycar to see it most probably won't.

I profess to know very little about aerodynamics but it strikes me that whatever you do you cannot make wake turbulence disappear no matter what you do to the cars. Even if you manage to reduce it will it be enough to make overtaking more doable. Personally I highly doubt it.

Formula 1 teams may be asked to vote on whether to abandon Pirelli's 2020 tyres after they are tested in Abu Dhabi next month.

If seven out of 10 teams are still unhappy with the new spec tyres, Pirelli could be obliged to stick with its proven 2019 products for next season (motorsport.com)....."proven?"....am I missing something, cause every single team had been complaining in the opening 6 - 8 races in fact some teams STILL cant the damn things into the narrow operating window....yet this is the pinnacle of motorsport  Angry

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post