Bloody tyres

Jeez, this isnt a Ferrari v Mercedes thing guys...its a whole sport thing, dont make it into something it is not....Mercedes have also complained remember, Toto has said the working window is far too narrow & a "knife edge", & Lewis "I have nothing good to say about them"

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Wasn't trying to make it a Merc Vs Ferrari thing Forza, more that it is no surprise that when teams run these tyre tests for Pirelli they always seem to have an edge with the the tyres. It's honestly why I think the sport needs to pay for teams, all teams, to run tests, that way we don't get these silly advantages. Ferrari in 2017 had a big head start over everyone, why? They ran the tyre tests. It is probably as simple as that, McLaren also ran a lot of tests for the 2019 tyres, and surprise surprise they're doing a great job too.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

The FIA has sent a new Pirelli tyre target letter to all the Formula 1 teams, and is now awaiting feedback before its contents are frozen and it's signed off.
The letter covers both next year and 2021, the first season with the new 18-inch tyres that are a major part of the future rules package.

Following months of discussions all parties have agreed on three main targets of a wider working range, less overheating, and low degradation.

Details such as the specific numbers for the latter could yet be modified, depending on the feedback of the teams.

"They have the target letter now," said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.

"And we are happy to receive their comments as soon as possible to see if we can address some of the requests. The process is ongoing. And obviously in this target letter we also cover 2021, so there's double work on that.

"We worked a lot on the target letter, together with the FIA and F1, because it's not easy to measure the targets and define the targets. Sometimes people believe that it's just a matter of writing a number on a piece of paper, but it's not like that.

"You need to understand the numbers, you have to understand how to measure the targets, otherwise it's useless, and we are working hard on that. And we probably need to review the target letter in the future to adapt it to the conditions that we will experience with 18ins tyres and so on.

"The idea is to go on a low degradation tyre, more resistant to overheating, so drivers can push the tyres and so on.

"Then we have to define exactly what we mean with that. If we say that we have three compounds at each race with zero degradation, it's useless because everybody's just using the quickest. When we say low degradation tyres we have to put numbers on that."

Isola said that the parameters for 2020 and 2021 are related, but not identical, given the massive change in the dimensions and construction of the 18-inch tyres.

"Yes, some of the targets are very similar, some of the targets are more for 2021, to have something that is comparable when we move to the new size, to understand the level of performance, to understand there are some parameters that they want to consider in order to make the design of the car that is in line with the tyres that you are developing, otherwise you are disconnected, and it's not good," he said.

Asked when the teams have to reply, Isola said: "We don't have deadlines. What is important now is to freeze the targets for 2020, because we are running out of time. And then we have a bit more time for 2021.

"We will start track testing in September, but it's the first real test with the 18 inch tyre, so we need to understand where we are in terms of product, so we have a bit of time to define the targets for 2021.

"But considering that the plan is to freeze the regulation in October, we should also freeze the target letter in October."

As previously noted, Pirelli has only one more 2020 track test – with Mercedes at Paul Ricard in September – before it has to finalise next tyres for a group test in Abu Dhabi in December.

(motorsport.com)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Mercedes' Esteban Ocon will give Pirelli its final chance to test its 2020 prototype F1 tyres at Paul Ricard on Thursday – unless teams agree to allow an extra test to fitted into the schedule in early October.....
... if extra running is not agreed by the teams the likelihood is that Pirelli's 2020 tyres will end up being much closer to the current versions than had been anticipated, for example without the low degradation that the target letter currently requests.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirel...s/4538962/

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Ferrari, Mercedes & Red Bull are to carry out an additional 2020 tyre test in October @ Barcelona (2 days)

All Formula 1 drivers will be given two extra sets of Pirelli's 2020 tyres to test on the Friday of the US GP in Austin.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/teams...n/4549307/

2 days of 2021 18" tyre testing begins today at Paul Ricard

Carlos Sainz

(07-11-2019, 12:39 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  2 days of 2021 18" tyre testing begins today at Paul Ricard

Carlos Sainz

Don't like 'em. Never will.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(07-11-2019, 01:21 PM)morini Wrote:  
(07-11-2019, 12:39 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  2021 18" tyre

Don't like 'em. Never will.

I like to be different  Big Grin 

Love the bigger wheels, mind you I liked them in days gone by.  Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

(07-11-2019, 01:58 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  I like to be different  Big Grin 

I admit I am stuck in my ways. For me the high sidewall tyres have been a visual differentiator in F1 since I was a young kid. Change them and the cars just become FE / Indycar "blend into the background" bland cars.

No doubt I will get used to them in the same way people are used to the halo. That doesn't make either 18" wheels or halos any less ugly though.

Another heritage factor going down the toilet.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post