McLaren Hire a Dutch salesman as Sim driver

so do we think we're getting to the stage where a gamer / sim driver will make it into F1?

I'm not convinced

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

One/some of the iRacing guys made it into Nascar. So I don’t see why it couldn’t happen. Some folk (not me!) are just naturally talented but never had a go in a kart or the opportunity to do so.

I don’t think anyone will ever go straight into F1. But certainly could go straight into a lower category and rise through the ranks. Heck there might even be guys/gals doing it already??

... and with the (ridiculous) limitations on testing, teams aren’t going to take a punt on letting a spotty teenaged gamer have a go! Lol

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

Depends on the person I think.
Don't know about the one Purple-banana talks about, but the kid that just got the job at McLaren, used to be a good kart driver (not sure, but thought he even won a championship) and left the sport because of a lack of funding.
Like Purple-banana says, some people just have that natural talent, but with only video games you will not make it into F1 itself. At least that's what I think.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Antilochos is spot on. He was actually a very handy karter if you look into him. There was a chap who won the GT Sport Academy thing a few years back who also couldn’t afford to do karting, and he went into one of the touring car series and actually did well... however... there isn’t the physicality involved in sims... yet! They might be massively accurate at recreating the real world physics etc. Within the simulation, but they can’t yet recreate the g-forces or other physical aspects (even with force feedback), so going straight into a leading class series like F1? No way. Never happen.

(22-11-2017, 08:58 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Antilochos is spot on. He was actually a very handy karter if you look into him. There was a chap who won the GT Sport Academy thing a few years back who also couldn’t afford to do karting, and he went into one of the touring car series and actually did well... however... there isn’t the physicality involved in sims... yet! They might be massively accurate at recreating the real world physics etc. Within the simulation, but they can’t yet recreate the g-forces or other physical aspects (even with force feedback), so going straight into a leading class series like F1? No way. Never happen.

yeah, I never meant straight in, just could they make it?    but was thinking with the personal trainers for example that the likes of McLaren could provide given they obviously have enough faith to employ him, are we getting there yet, and it does look more likely, but again another reason to bring back testing as JB (Banana) has said

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

There are loads of sim racers invited to run cars after they won I-racing series or similar. Some of these guys don't have a drivers licence at all, but still do well, and are pretty quick. Guys who won the Gran Turismo/ Nissan GT-R academy challenge have driven GT-R's in 24h races etc. Older news:
GT Academy has turned video gamers to racing drivers over a period of months, and NISMO Athletes have competed at international car racing competitions since 2009.

At the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Lucas Ordoñez finished second in the LM P2 category in 2011 and in 2013 finished third alongside Jann Mardenborough (2011 European winner). In 2014, Wolfgang Reip recorded the first ever all electric lap of the Le Mans circuit, driving in the Nissan ZEOD RC.

In the Blancpain Endurance Series, Jordan Tresson was winner of the GT4 class in 2011. In 2013, the Pro-Am cup was won by Lucas Ordoñez, while the Pro-Am team cup was won by Nissan GT Academy Team RJN, which included Jann Mardenborough, Wolfgang Reip (2012 European winner), Mark Shulzhitskiy (2012 Russia winner), Peter Pyzera (2012 Germany winner) and Steve Doherty (2012 USA winner). In 2015 Reip was part of the team that won the Pro Cup.

GT Academy Winners have also competed in the Dubai 24 Hours, FIA GT Series, FIA World Endurance Championship, British GT Championship, FIA Formula 3 European Championships, British Formula Three Championship, TRS Single-Seater Series, IMSA Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge, SCCA Solo National Championship and the United SportsCar Championship. In 2012, Lucas Ordoñez competed at the Petit Le Mans in the Nissan DeltaWing race car, and in 2014 began racing in the Super GT Series, class GT300, with NDDP Racing . In the same year, Jann Mardenborough began racing in the GP3 Series with Arden International, and at Motorland Aragon raced for the first time in a Formula Renault 3.5 test. In September 2014, Nissan announced that former US GT Academy Winners and finalists would be considered for Nissan's new LM P1 Le Mans 24 Hours and FIA World Endurance Championship Team.

On 8 February 2015, GT Academy graduates Wolfgang Reip (2012) and Florian Strauss (2013) teamed with Super GT driver Katsumasa Chiyo to win the 2015 Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour at the famous Mount Panorama Circuit in Australia driving a Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 for the NISMO Athlete Global Team[3][4]
[+] 3 users Like ReneSpeksnijder's post