Poll: What would you prefer to see? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lewis winning a WDC with Ferrari
60.00%
60.00%
Mercedes winning a WDC with a new driver
40.00%
40.00%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Someone just posed me an interesting question on Facebook...

Just been asked a really interesting question by somebody on Facebook, after I queried whether the Lewis and Merc domination is good for F1. So what would you prefer to see?

Me personally? Lewis winning at Ferrari, because at least then we'd know where he stood in the sport no questions asked. Although breaking up the Lewis / Mercedes partnership is not looking likely any time soon.

I've always thought it would be good if, a driver wins two WDC with one team, they are obligated to change team. A bit rickdiculus I know, but it has the possibility to keep things fresh. Repetition should not be associated with on track action and results.

As for the question, I'm not fussed, be good to see both. I just want unpredictability, and good show, basically 2012.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

I think on current evidence we're unlikely to have a classic 2012 type season on our hands with 4 teams all capable of seriously challenging at the front of the grid. If you were to ask me out of the two options which is more likely right now? I'd say Someone else winning in a Mercedes in the most likely of the two, if Lewis decides to move on from there... but why would he right now. Sure, Ferrari seem to have the motor, but they can't put a car together right now. I'd hoped we'd have the Ferrari car from 2018 and the Ferrari team from 2012 this year. However, we've got the worst of both worlds. A Ferrari team that implodes, and a car that's made of fail. Binotto is not having a great time of it, and honestly, I do not think Arrivabene would have made the call Leclerc today, I think he'd have told them to race. Ferrari need to get on top of their car, and their strategy calls, because right now it's looking a mess. I think they have produced the engine to challenge, but they seem a long way off doing so with that car. It's got issues carrying speed in corners, in as much as it just can't. It has a front end that just doesn't want to behave at speed in turn in to corners, and an unstable rear end trying to apply speed on the way out. On the straights it's a bullet, but if you can't corner in F1 you're in trouble.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(14-04-2019, 09:58 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Just been asked a really interesting question by somebody on Facebook, after I queried whether the Lewis and Merc domination is good for F1. So what would you prefer to see?

Me personally? Lewis winning at Ferrari, because at least then we'd know where he stood in the sport no questions asked. Although breaking up the Lewis / Mercedes partnership is not looking likely any time soon.

I've said before I'd love to see Lewis win a WDC for Ferrari, but nothing to do with knowing where he stood in the sport. He's done enough in my opinion to stand right up there with the best even if he retired tomorrow. He's already won WDC's with more than one team (and there aren't many who have done that). Imagine if he wins the next two with Merc then switches to Ferrari and wins an 8th in red. That would be something.

Wink
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(14-04-2019, 01:24 PM)morini Wrote:  
(14-04-2019, 09:58 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Just been asked a really interesting question by somebody on Facebook, after I queried whether the Lewis and Merc domination is good for F1. So what would you prefer to see?

I've said before I'd love to see Lewis win a WDC for Ferrari, but nothing to do with knowing where he stood in the sport. He's done enough in my opinion to stand right up there with the best even if he retired tomorrow. He's already won WDC's with more than one team (and there aren't many who have done that). Imagine if he wins the next two with Merc then switches to Ferrari and wins an 8th in red. That would be something.

Wink

If he did that Morini there'd be no arguing he was the best the sport has seen. It's one of the reasons I'd like to see him win in red, I do think he's arguably the best right now, but if he sticks at Mercedes and just keeps raking the WDC's in then there will be a question mark for many as to whether it was him or the car. Win at Ferrari and I think anyone saying otherwise could be fairly accused of sour grapes. My actual preference though? Is for a new WDC in a different team. I've had enough of being impressed with Mercedes, I'll be brutally honest with you.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Simple answer for me, no its not good for the sport. As a Mercedes and Hamilton fan its awesome.

What I would like to see is closer competition all the way through the field. It would be awesome to see 3/4 teams in with a genuine chance of winning every race. I would also like to see more teams and hence cars on the grid too. I alluded to this in a post earlier this week what has happened to all the talk of more engine suppliers and teams joining F1 its gone very quiet.

I think Liberty has a done okay job so far but I fear too much change ahead and I worry about it becoming more of a show than a race format. I especially dislike their apparent desire to bring more street circuits to the schedule.

As regards Hamilton place in the sport I think he and Schumacher belong in the same sentence take your pick based on what you like or dislike about one or the other. There is no doubt in my mind that had Hamilton been driving a Ferrari last two years he would have won anyway.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Mercedes dominance is not good for F1 of course. Everybody loves tight competition. Hard to blame Mercedes for that by the way.

Although F1 is about the technical top, I do think they should make it a bit more easier ánd cheaper for teams to build a good engine. I think there lays the blame for that dominant performance of Mercedes (and Ferrari in a sense).

About Hamilton. Yes, it would be better for his legacy if he changed teams. He does have my respect and I rate him very highly, but he is driving in the fastest car with the best team. It would bring him to the level of Schumacher if he switched to Ferrari and win the title there, build that team up again (I think they are a bit lost at Ferrari, Vettel didn't do much good on building a team like Schumacher did).
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

(14-04-2019, 01:51 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  My actual preference though? Is for a new WDC in a different team. I've had enough of being impressed with Mercedes, I'll be brutally honest with you.

Well I've posted on here before, I really want Mercedes to win the double again this year (and i think they will) because it would cement a team record in the history books. Six consecutive doubles, no team is more deserving IMO. Nobody, not even Ferrari have achieved that. Regarding the other strand of this conversation, I think if Lewis Hamilton was driving the Ferrari in 2017, 2018 and this year he would still be WDC in each of those years.

I'd like to see him drive for Ferrari before he finishes to follow Mansell another Brit who went there. But, it isn't about proving Hamilton to be the best of his era as I already think he's done that and then some. I'll put a marker out there and say if he wins this year and next he will retire at the end of his Mercedes contract.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I didn't vote on the poll by the way. Neither of the options for me, I want to see Hamiton get to 7 titles before he moves anywhere.

I voted for him to move to Ferrari, said it many times, like Morini I followed Nigel there, remember when he won his first race? wouldn't be easy though with the best of the new crop in top cars, Max at Mercedes & team mate to Charles, exciting thought though, I know its not universally popular lol. Wink

After thought, with Charles proving himself would Ferrari want to upset the apple cart? two alfa's in the team?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post