2019 Azerbaijan GP

(25-04-2019, 05:14 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So the rumours of Mercedes utterly relentless development pace continuing are true. I'd be impressed if I wasn't so annoyed with them being so bloody good. They do indeed have an entirely new rear wing and diffuser, and supposedly slightly reshaped sidepods and small turning veins on the floor of their car before the rear wheels and some new widgets in the sideboard area too. I have no idea how after all these years their staff are aböe to keep up this relentless pace, I really, really don't.

Yeah, pretty much what upgrades Ferrari has brought also, minus the serrated wing.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Yup, people are saying Merc have brought a really big update here, to be honest, I expected nothing less. Last season their development pace was brutal. However, in the build up we hear Ferrari this and Red Bull that and Mercedes wary of their opponents upgrades... What's this you ask? Says Toto, oh an entirely new fecking car, but we're really worried about Ferrari's new sponsorship logo on their rearwing endplate... I know it's their job to relieve pressure on their guys and to manage expectations, but they've snuck major updates to their car under the radar in Bahrain and China, and by the looks of things have brought a massive update here.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

[Image: Db4DJxyW0AAScZX.jpg]
[Image: Db9KFAeW0AAQEeX.jpg]

Really out of touch in the build up to this race. Looking forward to the practice/testing sessions tomorrow, with all these upgrades.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Thankfully the rain has been and gone, forcast gives sunny & 17-20 degrees all weekend.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Hesh, given how much has been bolted on to both the Merc and the Ferrari it'll be interesting to see what works and who's bits, widgets and flaps work best. Ferrari need a positive step forward.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Well, as Jody has pointed out Mercedes have a decent track record of in season developement. The best in terms of turning those upgrades into lap time IMO, as it seems they can recover from ideas which go in the wrong direction easier than the other teams. It was actually a combination of Ferrari taking a wrong avenue with their car plus their lead driver making far too many mistakes that made the 2018 contest shorter than it should have been. Ferrari probably took too many races to turn that around.

It's great that all the contending teams are bringing regular updates, lets see who can turn that into momentum. I will say though, that with the current regs balancing performance with reliability is key. I hope for the sake of an interesting team competition Ferrari aren't sacrificing reliability for performance.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

Sebastian Vettel will be running an old floor in FP1 while Charles Leclerc will trial the new spec for comparison.

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Yup, running side by sides mean Ferrari are not sure at all that their updates will work. This confirms it's a rush job. Their first planned update was supposedly coming in Barcelona. I hope it works,bi really, really do.

Ferrari's rear wings are HUGE.

Ferrari clearly pushing a lot into their program, this is a testing session for them.

What just happened to Russell's car!!!

He's hit a drain cover!!! Holy shit that was dangerous.

Street circuits, massively dangerous. It's why we moved away from them. Not good enough. These things need sorting. Totally ruined Ferrari's planned program.

Formula 1 under liberty media is a joke. Recovery trucks hitting bridges and man hole covers that weren't welded down. Sorry... Baku needs to be dropped after this.

FP1 gone and FP2 under threat as the track requires a full inspection, which normally takes 24 hours. What a complete joke.

So was Sebastian driving the recovery vehicle? Hehe Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Oh dear, this might actually mean cancelling F2's qualifying session. They only bolt these manhole covers down... Who thought that was a good idea?