2019 Azerbaijan GP

Honda confirm Baku upgrades
Honda have confirmed both Red Bull and Toro Rosso cars will run their 'Spec 2' power unit at the Azerbaijan GP.

Honda F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe said: "This weekend, we will introduce the Spec 2 version of our internal combustion engine across all four cars right from the start of the weekend.

"One of the reasons for bringing it to this race is that we found that Kvyat's PU problem in China was down to a quality control issue.

"The main benefits of Spec 2 are improved durability and life and better reliability. It also offers a slight improvement in performance."

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Well Marko did say 2019 was going to be a year of very rapid development for Honda, and that they were expecting to essentially "throw the season in the bin" to try and accelerate Honda's attempts to gain parity with Mercedes and Ferrari. I've heard tell that they're expecting Spec 3 at Silverstone, Spec 4 at Spa and Spec 5 at Russia in prep for the Japanese GP. If they do essentially throw 2019 in the bin and turn the season into one big test session it'd be a bold and brave move, but one that ultimately damages the quality of both the WCC and WDC championships because RBR are essentially taking themselves out of both in the hopes that doing so puts them in a very strong position for 2020 and going forward. We'll wait and see.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

I will be quite surprised if Max Verstappen is driving for Red Bull in 2021. I do not think he will react well to this season being one of development. If Jody is correct that means at least two lots of grid penalties which would probably become three by the end of the season.

I certainly expected more from Red Bull and Honda even at this early stage of the season. One step back, two steps forward is not always the right way to go. I hope for the sake of the sport they show a lot more improvement as the season progresses.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

I think Honda have clearly made the biggest step forward of all engine manufacturers. The main issue they have is that they do not have a party mode equivalent step that Mercedes and in particular Ferrari can make. In the races they're actually not too far off, their issues are around tyre Deg from what I've seen. I'd certainly say RBR are more competitive with Honda than they would be with Renault. I think long term this is actually the right decision for RBR-Honda, whether Max sees it that way, and whether he thinks it's the right thing for him is an entirely different kettle of fish.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

Alfa Romeo have confirmed both drivers will fit new control electronics (CE) for the #AzerbaijanGP. As Antonio Giovinazzi is already using the 3rd CE this season it results in a 10 place grid penalty.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

(25-04-2019, 09:23 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Alfa Romeo have confirmed both drivers will fit new control electronics (CE) for the #AzerbaijanGP. As Antonio Giovinazzi is already using the 3rd CE this season it results in a 10 place grid penalty.

That does not bode well for the other Ferrari based teams then.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Nope it doesn't Morini. All Ferrari powered cars are on at least their second control electronics... and to make matters worse they are essentially last years control electronics, so they are in that sense a step backwards for Ferrari. So I would expect at some point the Ferrari higher ups to decide to introduce their revised 2019 CE set up, which will result in both Ferrari drivers taking penalties somewhere, most likely somewhere where over taking is plausible / easy... but ruling out Monza. Spa or Silverstone for me seem the obvious bets, or maybe Austria.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Rumours Merc have brought a new diffuser and rear wing. Any one able to confirm, looked at the usual sites but can't find anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Merc wing

Mercedes has resurrected its serrated rear wing design for this weekend's Azerbaijan Grand Prix, bringing back an idea that it last raced with in 2016.
As the photograph shows, the rear-wing mainplane of the W10 appeared in the pitlane in Baku with tiny serrations on the trailing edge.

It is a concept that Mercedes first experimented with back in 2015 before developing it further for the following season - running it in pre-season testing that year (below) before regularly racing with a tweaked version.

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

So the rumours of Mercedes utterly relentless development pace continuing are true. I'd be impressed if I wasn't so annoyed with them being so bloody good. They do indeed have an entirely new rear wing and diffuser, and supposedly slightly reshaped sidepods and small turning veins on the floor of their car before the rear wheels and some new widgets in the sideboard area too. I have no idea how after all these years their staff are aböe to keep up this relentless pace, I really, really don't.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post