New side of Lewis

(07-04-2019, 11:36 PM)DRicc Wrote:   But then I'm not particularly patriotic, so perhaps thats the reason.

Hiya D, its not the law you have to like him, I think/know even some of his fans go Doh! every now & again, I am *fiercely* patriotic but not at the expense  of obvious talent, I'm a fan of a certain Aussie its just that I will always favour the Brits (even over my favourites) when Lewis go's I will be gutted because he's so successful, though my allegiance will move to Lando & George whilst still cheering on the other talented guys,  I get that fans don't like serial winners, there have been times when I have been on the wrong end of someone winning I didn't like (that much) but like you I appreciated they had talent, who knows Daniel to Mercedes or Renault nailing it in  2021?    Winkblink

Watched BTCC at Brands, did you have a day out?   Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-04-2019, 11:36 PM)DRicc Wrote:  But then I'm not particularly patriotic, so perhaps thats the reason.

I guess the world would be pretty boring if everyone were the same? Where I was born / brought up / live supporting your country above all others is a big part of our national identity. It is ingrained into us from a very early age and never leaves you. Because of this I will always support a Welsh sportsman first and a British sportsman if there is no Welsh guy / girl in the running. The exception to this rule kicks in when the England rugby union side are playing, when this happens I will support *anyone* in preference to England.

None of the above means that I don't admire F1 drivers (and sportsmen/women) of different nationalities. There are plenty I have followed over the years. However, while there is an outstanding Brit at the top of his game and several promising Brit youngsters coming through in F1 then those guys are the ones I'll be cheering on.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(08-04-2019, 08:09 AM)morini Wrote:   The exception to this rule kicks in when the England rugby union side are playing, when this happens I will support *anyone* in preference to England.

^^^    Tongue  Big Grin Laughing Thumbsup

Edit, Quote Mama "exactly the same as you then" 

Having been born in Wales & parents moving to England when I was a toddler my Father made it very clear where my loyalties should lie.  Winkblink

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(08-04-2019, 12:58 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(07-04-2019, 11:36 PM)DRicc Wrote:   But then I'm not particularly patriotic, so perhaps thats the reason.

Hiya D, its not the law you have to like him, I think/know even some of his fans go Doh! every now & again, I am *fiercely* patriotic but not at the expense  of obvious talent, I'm a fan of a certain Aussie its just that I will always favour the Brits (even over my favourites) when Lewis go's I will be gutted because he's so successful, though my allegiance will move to Lando & George whilst still cheering on the other talented guys,  I get that fans don't like serial winners, there have been times when I have been on the wrong end of someone winning I didn't like (that much) but like you I appreciated they had talent, who knows Daniel to Mercedes or Renault nailing it in  2021?    Winkblink

Watched BTCC at Brands, did you have a day out?   Cool

Hi Papa,
Yes I know its not the law to be a Lewis fan, lol. And tbh Lando and George are already on my radar.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I don't see Daniel going to Merc. I think that seat is reserved for George, providing he makes a good show this season: difficult in a Williams I know.
Yes the day out at Brands was 'interesting.'  Arrived in thick fog, so sat in the car for nearly an hour, listening to the radio waiting for the track inspections (every 15 mins). But at least they got the Touring Car races out on time. Made the first one interesting too - was still a bit foggy and started drizzling so the track was greasy. Several of them went for wet tyres, which was a bad move. It was so damp and cold tho, that after the second race we went home - in time to watch the last race on TV. Next one we are going to is Thruxton in May so hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer. I'm too old to be sitting around in the cold, lol.

(08-04-2019, 08:09 AM)morini Wrote:  
(07-04-2019, 11:36 PM)DRicc Wrote:  But then I'm not particularly patriotic, so perhaps thats the reason.

I guess the world would be pretty boring if everyone were the same? Where I was born / brought up / live supporting your country above all others is a big part of our national identity. It is ingrained into us from a very early age and never leaves you. Because of this I will always support a Welsh sportsman first and a British sportsman if there is no Welsh guy / girl in the running. The exception to this rule kicks in when the England rugby union side are playing, when this happens I will support *anyone* in preference to England.

None of the above means that I don't admire F1 drivers (and sportsmen/women) of different nationalities. There are plenty I have followed over the years. However, while there is an outstanding Brit at the top of his game and several promising Brit youngsters coming through in F1 then those guys are the ones I'll be cheering on.
Ah well, if you're Welsh, that explains it, lol.
[+] 4 users Like DRicc's post

DRicc, there are a few of us on here of Welsh heritage.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(09-04-2019, 01:43 AM)DRicc Wrote:  Hi Papa,

It was so damp and cold tho, that after the second race we went home - in time to watch the last race on TV.

Next one we are going to is Thruxton in May so hopefully the weather will be a bit warmer. I'm too old to be sitting around in the cold, lol.

Hi D, yeah looked a bit chilly, thought the best race was the Ginetta jnr such a close finish. 

Gags is pestering us to go to Thruxton though at the moment BSB (we are Scott Redding fans) in August is looking more likely as like you we not keen on the cold weather either lol, will see how it go's.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Wow, its a Welsh takeover of F1 Banter.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(09-04-2019, 04:27 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Wow, its a Welsh takeover of F1 Banter.

Bit like the 6 Nations...….     Tongue   Big Grin   Laughing

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(09-04-2019, 04:27 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Wow, its a Welsh takeover of F1 Banter.

I was thinking of making it a mandatory requirement for getting an account  Smile

Wouldn’t want to be called a racist though! Besides, it would upset our Northern Irish / Italian, Scottish / Irish, English / American and Dutch contingent. Everyone is welcome here, even the Non Welsh  Tongue
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

There`s one thing I can say about Lewis, he never fails to make a cock of himself Wink

https://twitter.com/i/status/1124045634087071744

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post