Renault hits back: Red Bull twists facts and manipultes data about Honda

Source: Motorsport.com (Dutch)
Original source: Motorsport-magazin.com (German)

According Renault F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul, RBR outlines the future with Honda way more positive than the reality is. The frenchman states his former partner twists the facts about enginesupplier Honda and that Renault is still ahead of the Japanese.

The once flourishing marriage between Renault and RBR has ended this year in a bitter divorce. RBR takes every opportunity to emphasize the switch to Honda is a big step forward, while the French also cheerfully take their role in throwing mud at eachother. The battle between these two has reached a new episode since Abiteboul told Motorsport-Magazin Renault is still better pointing the finger at Milton Keynes. “Honda is still 20 Kw behind us”.

Abiteboul continues by accusing RBR of manipulation. “I know what Red Bull is telling us all, but they are twisting the facts and manipulate the data. I do get their strategy, but is simply not based on facts. The real analysis shows, according to Abiteboul, the Renalut engine is still better. “They (Honda) didn’t develop much further. Last year the gap was 20 Kw and at this moment it still is.

Abiteboul reponds with his remarks to comments made by Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, who recently referred to Honda as a clear step in the right direction. The Austrian does not want to respond to the latest accusations of his French rival, except for a small counter attack. “This is not subject to discussion anymore. Next year we will see where we stand. Abiteboul should keep dreaming, but next season everything will become quite clear".
[+] 4 users Like JDF_AW's post

I respect the heck out of Red Bull and what they have achieved but it does not mean I have to like them.

I loathe them and wish every ill fortune on them possible. Verstappen is going to have to be World Champion at Ferrari.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(20-12-2018, 05:24 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I respect the heck out of Red Bull and what they have achieved but it does not mean I have to like them.

I loathe them and wish every ill fortune on them possible. Verstappen is going to have to be World Champion at Ferrari.

Haha I have sympathy with you Neil, Max & Daniel I have loads of time for & really respect, Red Bull or to be specific Horner & Marco not so much....... Fantastic team no doubt.

Would love to be a fly on the wall to see Cyril Abiteboul, Christian & Marco discussing the Renault engine in private, after eight pints...…  my money would be on Cyril to win the *discussion*   Shutup     Laughing

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

I have to say I think Abiteboul is being sparring with the entire truth as well. It was clear towards the end of the season that the overall Honda package was quicker. It just was. Maybe not by much, and maybe it isn't reliable yet either, but it had an overall power advantage. As for the ERS side of things, I've pointed out for quite some time now on the battery / electrical motor side of things Renault aren't half bad, it's their ICE and in particular MGU-H that suck, on both those scores we can probably argue Honda finished stronger in 2018. However, 2019 is another season altogether and we'll soon see what's what.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post