Helmut Marko optimistic about chance for Verstappen title win in 2019

Helmut Marko still very optimistic about chance for Verstappen to win the title in 2019. De Austrian is convinced RBR with Honda can take the next step.

Looking back on season 2018, Marko confirms (according to Motorsport Magazin) it has been a though year with many higlights but also many downsides. “Yes, that was the case. But the 2nd half of the season has been very positive considering the development of our chassis. On that matter we are pretty obvious one of the best. On both our side as on the side of Renault reliability has become better. And Verstappen has not done anything stupid (note JDF: in the German article Marko uses the word Blödsinn, which litterly means 'nonsense) since Paul Ricard.

Verstappen was involved in several incidents at the start of the season. The clash with Vettel in China for instance and the crash in Monaco. After the tough start, the Dutchman hit back with a series of very strong results, among them 2 victories.  “We have had an intensive conversation” Marko explains how Verstappens season came ‘back on track’. “The problem was he was putting too much pressure on himself” At the question if we now see a different Verstappen in comparison to early 2018, replies Marko: “He is still that very ambitious Max Verstappen. But he now sees he doesn’t have to beo n top in every free practice. He now drives with his mind more focussed on the race and next year, he will also have to consider the championship. It is not always necessary to be number one.  

‘Verstappen could have ended 2nd in the Championship’

When referred to Verstappens statement he would not have acted differently in Brazil if he would have been fighting for the title at that moment, Marko says: “That with Ocon is a story by itself. Their relation, or non-relation, from Formula 3 takes a part in this. In those days there have been multiple collisions between them. But all to all the build-up in a race weekend has become more steady and better”. To the question what would have been possible without the incidents on the start of the season, Marko answers: “Internal we made a calculation, so where we would have ended if both Verstappen and the team –because we also screw up a few times- would have made no mistakes. In that case Max would be 2ns in the Championship and RBR would be 2nd in the constructors title”

Next year RBR drops the Renault engine for a Honda engine. Marko expects the Japanse power unit to be good enough to go for the title. “In my vision, yes” Marko answeres when asked if in the 1st year with Honda the aim can be on the title. “It is difficult if you change from engine supplier, but there is so much potential at Honda. And as a team we have experience in winning titles, we know how it’s done. We also made some changes (in our methods) to avoid some of the defects we had this year. So, why shouldn’t we manage? If you take a look at the results of Verstappen and consider we might have a power unit with 40kW more power compared to what we had now and with a driver like Verstappen behind the wheel,  a world title is possible.

source: motorsport.com (Dutch)
original source: motorsport-magazin.com (German)

Translated from the Dutch version of motorsport.com by me (so, put the blame on me for errors translating Dutch -> English Big Grin )
[+] 4 users Like JDF_AW's post

(18-12-2018, 07:29 PM)JDF_AW Wrote:  Helmut Marko still very optimistic about chance for Verstappen to win the title in 2019. De Austrian is convinced RBR with Honda can take the next step.

consider we might have a power unit with 40kW more power compared to what we had now and with a driver like Verstappen behind the wheel,  a world title is possible.

Would really like to see Max fighting for the drivers title, don't think any of us would disagree the lads got a special talent, not so sure he can do it next year though (I have been wrong so many times!) I'm thinking the Red Bull chassis will be a championship winning one, (again) the Honda will no doubt be a lot better & will improve, its just that reliability wise I'm nervous for him in the first year with them, if I were a gambler I would put my money on year two, as a Brit Lewis fan & also fan of Max I cant wait to see them fighting next year, the futures bright, the futures orange.   Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post