Bottas' to get a new race engineer

Hearing that Tony Ross is off the Mercedes Formula E efforts, and that fits with a rumour I heard a while back that Mercedes were wanting to bring in Rob Smedly, at the time I thought it was nonsense, primarily because Tony Ross was in post and seemingly working well with Bottas, and Smedly was still at Williams. Soooo... will we see Semdly rock up to Mercedes?
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

So he will go from head of vehicle performance at Williams to a race engineer with Mercedes. That is a hell of drop in status is it not?

(29-11-2018, 02:39 PM)NeilP Wrote:  So he will go from head of vehicle performance at Williams to a race engineer with Mercedes. That is a hell of drop in status is it not?

My thoughts as well. Can't see it.

Smedly is going back to Ferrari I reckon

NeilP maybe, but once inside the likes of Mercedes he has way more options, and more importantly right now Mercedes arevway more prestigious than Williams....

I can actually see it to be honest with you. I can also see him heading to the likes of Force India or Renault in a similar role to the one he currently has at Williams. Just asking the question as to what people think, I initially dismissed the rumours, but we'll soon see I guess.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

He recently said on Sky TV that he did have some options on the table within F1 so it will be interesting to see where he pops up. I do not know if he is going to be required to go on any form of 'gardening' leave or not so maybe he will emerge next season. I do not know the Mercedes team very well Jody but I would not be surprised if they promoted from within to give Bottas his new guy. Shame really I like Tony Ross, always calm,cool and collected unless of course he gets your name wrong!!!! Smile

That said probably a really good guy to get into Mercedes Electrical racing team and it looks on paper at least a promotion of sorts.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post