Red Bull Engine Failures

Much has been made about the failure of the engines in the Red Bull this season and to a degree Renault have taken a lot of the blame for the issues. That said I think I have heard that Danny Ricciardos failure in COTA was electrical. Max Verstappen has just stopped in practice for the same (I think) reason. If it is an electrical issue is that because of something Red Bull are doing or is it all down to the Renault engine because I do not see it happening to the Renault works team.

Would appreciate some knowledge here.

Think they have said it was a hydraulic failure on Max`s car

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

So Verstappen with two engine failures, Monza and Mugello.
I read an article were Verstappen was very open about his frustration with Honda. Very unusual. That surprises me that he was so critical in public. He said he has had it with Honda. Last race a problem and the same still this race, what is in his eyes (and I agree) unacceptable. The fact that he warned before start that the same thing was wrong as in Monza and the Honda people just "fixed" a software problem, he is not willing to accept that kind of actions.

What do we think? Trouble in paradise at Red Bull Honda?
Or is it just the emotion of a driver after two races were he had great changes and he missed them because of a engine failure?
Getting Alonso flashbacks...

(14-09-2020, 07:54 AM)Antilochos Wrote:  So Verstappen with two engine failures, Monza and Mugello.

What do we think? Trouble in paradise at Red Bull Honda?
Or is it just the emotion of a driver after two races were he had great changes and he missed them because of a engine failure?
Getting Alonso flashbacks...

Well, he's had three DNF's out of nine races and there is no way you can contest for a WDC losing that many points. He is bound to be frustrated by that, his chances for this year are long gone. I have no idea what the actual problem he had was but he is lucky in one way because it looks like it doesn't involve full engine changes and therefore grid penalties later. He is still in a fight with Bottas for second place, though he's a full race win behind now (and over three race wins off the leader).

There is no point in Max being openly critical of Honda, better to do that behind closed doors. Doing that publicly will only limit his options further into his career. Honda don't want to work with Alonso anymore because he was so publicly vocal about the problems back at McLaren. Max should not burn bridges like Alonso did.

Whatever the issue is Honda need to sort it out. Strange that Horner and Marko aren't saying much as those two cretins are normally very loud in the media.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

Strange that Max has had three retirements yet with the same engine:

Albon (same team) Zero
Kyvat One (Suspension failure)
Gasly Two (one of which was a crash not an engine failure the other a Gearbox failure)
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(14-09-2020, 10:45 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Strange that Max has had three retirements yet with the same engine:

I read an article yesterday with a few readers giving the opinion that it is because Red Bull run Max's units harder in order to keep up with the lead team. I can't find the article now (it was clickbait anyway) and I don't agree with that theory either. The problems he seems to be encountering are software related rather than hardware. It's not like he's had anything swapped out so I'd just put it down to bad luck myself.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

I think that theory (running the engine harder) could be true or it could be the driver is not using the unit as it is designed to be used or to its strengths. My lack of knowledge only permits me to speculate from the viewpoint of the uneducated!

If it is software kind of strange his team mate has not had the same issues.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

To me the theory that a driver can run a F1 engine harder that the engine can handle is silly. Than the engine is not good enough (or the driver really doesn't know how to drive and that would be so obvious in the data the team gets, the driver would not even pass the first test to get a seat in F1).
Like Morini says, good change it is some software problem. I thought I heard or read somewhere that it might be a sensor issue.

The one of two things for me that stands out is Verstappen being public with this critique.
The second thing is that they don't seem to manage solving this. It really is unacceptable for a topteam like Red Bull not fixing this. Even more when it concerns their top driver, the only one that can challenge Mercedes. They should be able to fix it after one time, maybe two. Three is just unacceptable.

I think there is a problem at Red Bull.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

Marko was open in the press that the engine problem with Verstappen is a serious worry for them loosing Verstappen (personally I don't know were he can go other than Mercedes and Hamilton together with Verstappen is not going to happen). Said also that he thinks Honda changing engineers could cause the problem, what is a stupid excuse if you ask me.
Like I said, there is trouble in paradise at the Red Bull garage.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post