Russell to drive for Williams

As it says on the tin:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...ula-1-2019

Article says Sirotkin and Kubica are the front runners for the second seat at Williams... which has me really worried about Ocon's future. I just do not think Kubica is the right choice for Williams, he's actually shown he's not up to the task of driving an F1 car I think from what I've seen from his outings for an entire season, or race length. Sirotkin? Well he's done better than Stroll I think (which says more about Stroll than it does Sirotkin) but I guess Williams will stick with the young Russian.

We're not going to be seeing Ocon on next years grid. That's very saddening.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(12-10-2018, 10:46 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  As it says on the tin:

Article says Sirotkin and Kubica are the front runners for the second seat at Williams... which has me really worried about Ocon's future. I just do not think Kubica is the right choice for Williams, he's actually shown he's not up to the task of driving an F1 car I think from what I've seen from his outings for an entire season, or race length. Sirotkin? Well he's done better than Stroll I think (which says more about Stroll than it does Sirotkin) but I guess Williams will stick with the young Russian.

Harsh for Ocon as he hasn’t done anything wrong, although I do wonder if Mercedes let him go he could of signed up to RBR and got in the TR?? Whether that would of been good long term I do not know but he would of been in F1 next season I reckon

(12-10-2018, 11:20 AM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(12-10-2018, 10:46 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  As it says on the tin:

Harsh for Ocon as he hasn’t done anything wrong, although I do wonder if Mercedes let him go he could of signed up to RBR and got in the TR?? Whether that would of been good long term I do not know but he would of been in F1 next season I reckon

Forgot to add great for GR he deserves a seat for his sterling efforts in F2 this season
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

Well pleased, three Brits on the grid, happy Papa lol.     Cool    Big Grin

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Well the seats that are currently left open include:

Force India x2 (although expect Perez to be retained and Stroll to get his Christmas present from daddy)
Toro Rosso x1 (still talk Hartley might keep his drive, or Wehrlein will get his seat, the reason Mercedes released Wehrlein is so he'd have a shot at the TR seat)
Williams x1 (Supposedly a toss up between Sirotkin and Kubica)

So There is little chance for Ocon from what I can see. I expect Ocon to be named Mercedes reserve team driver at this rate, and probably given a fair few outings in FP1 next season, and then announced as a Mercedes driver for 2020. That's just my gut instincts. Still, it'll be sad that arguably the best Frenchmen on the current F1 grid won't have a drive.

Looking long term I think given the lack of seats drivers like Raikkonen, Grosjean, Magnussen, Perez, Bottas and Hulkenberg are going to come under increasing pressure to perform considering the wealth of young talent in F1. I personally don't see a place on the grid for the likes of Kubica, it would have made a great story, but it's just not going to happen, the guys injury was too severe and he's not recovered to anywhere near enough to participate in an F1 season in my opinion.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/russe...e/3193731/

George Russell has revealed he called Williams chief technical officer Paddy Lowe before this year’s German Grand Prix to request a meeting with the team over a Formula 1 drive.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Its great to have two young British drivers to support next season but who would thought in the worst teams on the grid. Still its an opportunity for them to showcase themselves for a better drive down the road (excuse the pun)!

As for Ocon he is really a victim of circumstances. I think he will replace Bottas at Mercedes in 2020 unless Bottas has an excellent year in 2019 which is possible but unlikely in my eyes. I think his only true hope is a Mercedes partial takeover of Williams and I do not think we are going to see that (I would interested to know if Mercedes are paying Williams anything for the Russell seat - not that we may ever know).

I do not think Hartley will keep his place in Toro Rosso next year his body language tells me his time is up. No disgrace he is obviously a very good driver suited to a different type of racing than F1 presents.

There are always things to be excited about in F1 its not just about who wins, sadly many fans cannot look beyond that fact.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

Good to see this managed to happen, but like Neil says, both British youngsters in (based on current season) the back of the grid teams. Fingers crossed, the cars turn around for next season, both teams have the capacity. They'll both have to comfortably beat their teammates and prove the hype to be real.

I still can't shake the Palmer vibe I get with Russel, no idea what it is.....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(12-10-2018, 05:01 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Good to see this managed to happen, but like Neil says, both British youngsters in (based on current season) the back of the grid teams. Fingers crossed, the cars turn around for next season, both teams have the capacity. They'll both have to comfortably beat their teammates and prove the hype to be real.

I hear you Hesh, but i think he put in a better performance than Palmer, and to be fair the Brits coming through are having to go through into lower end drives who was the last Brit to do that?? Jenson me thinks its not easy I really hope Mclaren and Williams can pull through these hard times we need Brit teams coming to the forefront not these Germans or Italians or Austrian ballbags Smile

PS Just being slightly biased as a Brit there no offence are friends across the waters!!
[+] 4 users Like LotusLover's post

Russell is a solid driver, very rapid, he's had a far better junior career than Palmer, he certainly doesn't remind me of Palmer in terms of skill. He's also quite near and incisive in wheel to wheel combat too. He might yet prove a flop, but I wouldn't compare him to Palmer.

(12-10-2018, 06:10 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(12-10-2018, 05:01 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Good to see this managed to happen, but like Neil says, both British youngsters in (based on current season) the back of the grid teams. Fingers crossed, the cars turn around for next season, both teams have the capacity. They'll both have to comfortably beat their teammates and prove the hype to be real.

I hear you Hesh, but i think he put in a better performance than Palmer, and to be fair the Brits coming through are having to go through into lower end drives who was the last Brit to do that?? Jenson me thinks its not easy I really hope Mclaren and Williams can pull through these hard times we need Brit teams coming to the forefront not these Germans or Italians or Austrian ballbags Smile

PS Just being slightly biased as a Brit there no offence are friends across the waters!!

What about those French Ballbags Smile
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post