General Driver Discussion

(22-10-2018, 01:21 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(22-10-2018, 12:59 PM)morini Wrote:  
(22-10-2018, 12:02 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Sure you do, but I would much prefer them trading punches next season so we can have clarity of who is better out of all of em, bring it now not later please

Well, this thread is entitled "Red Bull choose Honda", so isn't realy the thread for debating whether a driver who has won very little is better than a driver who is about to make (yet more) significant history. Pointless debate either way!

I made a promise not to move or delete posts, but this thread could certainly benefit from a clean up.

Yep move away, i only put in as its MV related, advise to where it can go in future please
You might create a topic for this if you like...

(23-10-2018, 09:49 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  
(22-10-2018, 01:21 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(22-10-2018, 12:59 PM)morini Wrote:  
(22-10-2018, 12:02 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  Sure you do, but I would much prefer them trading punches next season so we can have clarity of who is better out of all of em, bring it now not later please

Well, this thread is entitled "Red Bull choose Honda", so isn't realy the thread for debating whether a driver who has won very little is better than a driver who is about to make (yet more) significant history. Pointless debate either way!

I made a promise not to move or delete posts, but this thread could certainly benefit from a clean up.

Yep move away, i only put in as its MV related, advise to where it can go in future please
You might create a topic for this if you like...

Shall we?
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

So I didn’t read Morinis post properly above, and then when I did it got me thinking?

So Lewis lost his first teal battle with young Max in Austin last Sunday! Doubtless to say there will be many more scraps to come from these two in years to come (we hope!!)

I didn’t notice the jibe of Lewis being better than Max so I decided to see who has won what at the age Max is now.

Obviously Max got noticed or should I say was putting in exceptional performances at such a young age that he was bought into F1 was it 17?

Wins first F1Gp at 18!! Youngest ever.

Anyway for those of us who can see past one driver this boy is looking very very like a WDC he has outright speed, talent and now is beginning to develop the maturity to hold off a soon to be 5 time champion in a superior car!

I for one am really excited for 2019 to see if this lad can keep on beating Lewis on track and whether RBR can give him a car that can truly challenge the dominance of Mercedes I haven’t even mentioned Gasly what can he provide in terms of speed and race craft,

tie this in with the unknown quantity of CLC in a competitive Ferrari and a 4 time champion who has clearly lost his Mojo and hopefully will try to disprove his critics that he isn’t as good as we thought! , it has all the potential to be a “ding dong” of a season!!

Potential challenges to Mercedes/Lewis dominance for me is:

Max Verstappen
Seb Vettel
Charles Le Clerc

That’s not many really is it!!!

I suggest you wait until Hamilton has hung up his skid lid and the young lads have some similar achievements on the board before counting any chickens. Nobody said Max isn't a fantastic talent, I like watching him drive for a start (more than I could ever say about Vettel). But I'll say it again, it remains to be seen if he will match Hamilton’s achievements, it will be fun watching.

I find it highly amusing how you are comparing a zero times WDC with a (soon to be) 5 times WDC as a means to begrudge Hamilton’s legacy. Almost like you are trying to soften the blow of seeing someone you clearly dislike intensely continuing to be incredibly successful. Very sad really.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(26-10-2018, 10:45 AM)morini Wrote:  I suggest you wait until Hamilton has hung up his skid lid and the young lads have some similar achievements on the board before counting any chickens. Nobody said Max isn't a fantastic talent, I like watching him drive for a start (more than I could ever say about Vettel). But I'll say it again, it remains to be seen if he will match Hamilton’s achievements, it will be fun watching.

I find it highly amusing how you are comparing a zero times WDC with a (soon to be) 5 times WDC as a means to begrudge Hamilton’s legacy. Almost like you are trying to soften the blow of seeing someone you clearly dislike intensely continuing to be incredibly successful. Very sad really.

Look, i don't begrudge Lewis his 5th i said as much back in Singapore (look in thread), he has (will) win and nobody can take that away, i understand you enjoy seeing him win week in week out and that is your prerogative. I do not enjoy seeing him dominate therefore i look for rays of light that MAY shine for the future, and Max is definitely one of them rays, he is younger than both Vettel and Hamilton so why can't neutrals look upon him as the next "BIG" thing? All i said was he beat him in a duel in US Gp which he did? Is that a pretext for the future if given a competitive car.

On a side note aside from this, and i will be honest, i notice your very quick to like comments that hold Lewis in a positive light (even from me!) but when it goes in a negative you get a touch "arsey" do you see why i occasionally label you as "FB". I will always hold my hands up and say i can be a wind up but, its Banter you just need to lighten up a little! you grumpy ol sod Smile
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

Good summary by Palmer on why Hamilton is simply better than his contemporaries (i.e. Vettel). Lotus, if you haven't already read it then maybe you should?

https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org...2F46031254

I'm fully aware I irritate those who can't stand the man as a personslity (in case anyone is  in any doubt I don't much care who I irritate), but everything Palmer says there is factual. I could have written it myself.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

I actually agree with much of what Palmer had to say in that article. If Ferrari are as competitive next year as they were this year and Mercedes don't find a significant step forward then it'll take a monumental effort from Hamilton to maintain the level he has to win another WDC. Plus if Honda really do make the step forward that everyone seems to think they will, then Max and maybe Gasly get thrown into the mix. Hamilton will face challenges from Vettel, Leclerc and Verstappen for sure, and maybe even Gasly. I'm hoping that's how it pans out, because I really want to see Lewis pushed by a lot of drivers and see how he handles it all. Next year might shape up to be a classic, but with major rule changes coming for 2021, I feel it's now or never in 2019 for the other teams, because if Merc win again in 2019 I fear the others will shift their focus to 2021 to try a steal a march on the German behemoth.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(31-10-2018, 08:04 AM)morini Wrote:  everything Palmer says there is factual. I could have written it myself.

Yeah read it & agreed with it myself, I still think the difference over the last two years has been the drivers, the cars have been so close with superiority changing from race to race in some cases, last two years have been the best in ages.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

I had a read Morini and yes it’s factual but not sure what I am to derive from this? We all know he is exemplary but in some aspects I think it’s a tad inflated by Jolyeyns opinion from my perspective.

In terms of dedication and commitment no way would I question this of any multiple world champion. The wet races yeah great but were they anymore spectacular than the Schumacher Spanish Gp or Spa where personally I thought he was inspirational in the wet and I don’t believe that has ever been emulated to this day, I thought MV in Brazil was close due to the overtakes and lines taken.

I don’t disputing he is up there but personally I don’t hold him in as high esteem as MS or Alonso even though he has won more titles than Fernando. I think he will surpass MS wins but it’s all ia bit distorted in a way due to races per year in comparison to MS but in terms of titles if equals or surpasses MS I would have no issue conceding he is the most successful how could I??

I’m with Jody I want to see him up against a more level playing field in 2019, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind MV can compete and beat Lewis in a competitive car If Seb can do it in terms of races then Max will do it also but more consistently in my humble opinion!

But is Lewis great?? Hell yeah no doubt

I need to add I also think Lewis is more than capable of holding his own against them for the record which is why it would be a interesting season
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/formula1...spartanntp

Lewis Hamilton predicts ‘awesome’ Max Verstappen will be a true rival for the Formula 1 title next season.

"Max is driving really well this year. He's such an awesome, young talent. I'm looking forward to many races with him.

Hamilton, who took victory in Sao Paulo, has been impressed with Verstappen this year and expects the 21-year-old and his Red Bull team to provide serious competition in 2019.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post