Fastest Laps

Ok another view.
Wouldn't points for qualifying & fastest laps just make a dominant car win the title even sooner?   Shutup Stop

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

(18-09-2018, 02:06 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Ok another view.
Wouldn't points for qualifying & fastest laps just make a dominant car win the title even sooner?   Shutup Stop

As with anything Papa there are intended consequences, unintended consequences and unknown consequences. As to points for qualifying and fastest laps making a dominant car win the title even sooner? Maybe, but who cares any way? If the car is dominant it's not likely to change a damn thing any way. What it does change for qualifying is the opportunity to really cause some hurt if you have a dominant weekend, or mitigate the pain if it doesn't all go to plan. Take Kimi in Monza, he'd have taken home 21 points to Lewis 26 under my points scoring system, a 5 point swing, which is probably a fairer representation of how they both performed over the weekend.

The points for fastest lap to me is also an exciting way to maybe encourage drivers / teams to push right until the end of a race to give us fans a bit more of a show as the fuel burns off. Take Seb towards the end of the race in Singapore, nowhere to go, nothing doing, litterally on the track on his own... but there's two points on offer if he gets fastest lap. So he can reduce his loss to Lewis to 8 points if he's willing to take the risk. Mercedes radio through to Lewis with two laps to go "Seb has just set the fastest lap" now Lewis has a choice, does he risk the win to try and increase the hurt to 12 points? Or does he accept the 8 points on offer? If neither wishes to go for it and both want to save their engines to fight another day then it gives the smaller teams the opportunity to do what Magnussed did and score some points.

Sure, there are things it'd change, but I think both ideas are worth giving a go, just to see how it affects the show.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

Good points & well presented, not that I expect anything different from you Jody, ok I'm converted lol. Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel

(18-09-2018, 02:33 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Good points & well presented, not that I expect anything different from you Jody, ok I'm converted lol.  Wink

Well I do try to at least think things through as well as I can before opening my mouth. It doesn't always prevent me from saying stupid things, but it does make it slightly less likely I sound like a complete moron!

Tongue
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post