Fastest Laps

So who is King of the fastest race laps?

This season, after 15 races, Bottas has 4, Riccardo has 4, Hamilton and Verstappen have two each and Raikonnen, Vettel and Magnussen one each.

So at the end of the season, who do we think will come out on top?

One surprise for me is the supposed speed of the Ferrari has only resulted in two fastest laps.  Another surprise was yesterday, when Magnussen's lap just pipped that of Alonso, of all people!  How Alonso dragged that bag of bolts to a fastest lap is nothing short of miraculous to me (and was barely mentioned by the commentators).

I know fastest laps don't count for much but because cars aren't always trying to go as fast as possible - but at some stage in the race all cars have to push on a bit, either to catch up or to make a break.

If you think nobody cares about you, try skipping a mortgage payment.
[+] 2 users Like Barry Malawi's post

I saw fernandos but not KMags, saying that with all this management crap, you have to wonder whether the others could put one in if necessary

pretty sure Fernando has 1 this season which stands - he was pissed off, near the end of a race, at the lack of performance, and came into the pits to put fresh boots on the closing laps purely to do it - can't remember which race though Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(17-09-2018, 01:44 PM)Barry Malawi Wrote:  I know fastest laps don't count for much but because cars aren't always trying to go as fast as possible - but at some stage in the race all cars have to push on a bit, either to catch up or to make a break.

Usually affected by circumstance in current format. Any driver who pits late (even in a mid running car) can easily bag a fastest lap with new tyres on low fuel. I've never taken that much notice. If they gave some points for it then teams would build it into their strategies to give their drivers a chance of fastest lap. No points, no incentive. Particularly with all teams trying to eek out their engine components to give them some life at end of season.

Fog, I hate to break it to you, but I remember the fastest lap coming up, and then on the penultimate lap I think it was Räikkönen Who pipped him.

Not sure fastest lap means what it once did with the top drivers often going into engine / tyre saving mode. As LotusLover said, Lewis was tyre saving so much towards the end of the race yesterday his tyres started growing more rubber!!!

It just speaks to what is wrong with the current set up, that drivers aren't pushing to the limits right to the chequered flag. Go back to 5 engines and gearboxes every 3 races and let them push a bit more. We'd get better racing, and more importantly, for this thread anyway, fastest laps would actually mean something.

(17-09-2018, 09:12 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Fog, I hate to break it to you, but I remember the fastest lap coming up, and then on the penultimate lap I think it was Räikkönen Who pipped him.

Not at all Jody, as I always say . . . . happy to be corrected, just thought he got one this year - which race was that where Kimi took it away?

Edit:  That was a good point by Morini, and something I've heard before and in principal am in favour of - give points for fastest lap, Makes sense to me Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(17-09-2018, 08:35 PM)morini Wrote:  
(17-09-2018, 01:44 PM)Barry Malawi Wrote:  I know fastest laps don't count for much but because cars aren't always trying to go as fast as possible - but at some stage in the race all cars have to push on a bit, either to catch up or to make a break.

Usually affected by circumstance in current format. Any driver who pits late (even in a mid running car) can easily bag a fastest lap with new tyres on low fuel. I've never taken that much notice. If they gave some points for it then teams would build it into their strategies to give their drivers a chance of fastest lap. No points, no incentive. Particularly with all teams trying to eek out their engine components to give them some life at end of season.

Well I have a reason to take note of the fastest laps because I play the PFRL F1 racing game and you get extra points if you can estimate what the fastest lap will be for each race.  An extra point in the real life racing would add some spice maybe, especially if its an 'every point counts' type of season.

I also remember Alonso setting a fastest lap near the end of another race this season but can't remember which one it was.  My feeling is that it was during the first third of the season.

He may of set a fastest lap but it got taken before race was finished I think it was Spain

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can't remember the race Fog, that's the problem. Not sure it was Spain I was thinking of, but it could be.

As for the idea of giving out points for other things? You know my thoughts, I have said many times before, give 3 points for pole, 2 points for second on the grid and one for third. I also think fastest lap should get 1 or 2 points.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

Spain does sound about right to me, in which case it was Ricciardo who pipped him.  Raikkonen only got fastest lap in Austria which was later.

I quite like the points for pole/2nd/3rd idea too.