Poll: Does Bottas deserve his Mercedes seat? - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
16.67%
16.67%
No
83.33%
83.33%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

Bottas, does he deserve his Mercedes seat?

After watching yet another abject display of ineptitude and downright mediocrity at Singapore I have to ask to ask the question... does Bottas deserve his Mercedes seat?

He was pretty much AWOL in Monza too, and he should have been able to pick Max off easily but he seemed to make a meal of it. He was nonexistent in Spa also. I think his only good races this year have probably been Bahrain where he bottled the move on Seb, and Baku, where yeah he was unlucky, but wasn't really in the race until the safety car. So what do you guys think?

Been saying it for as long as anyone will listen to me... no he does not, he is a good not great driver. Should have made a play for Danny Ricc, failing that it should have been Esteban Ocon
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I thought up until Hungary he'd just done enough and been a tad unlucky, but post Hungary I think he's blotted his copy book and gone missing. Right now given Mercedes junior driver Ocon doesn't have a drive for next season I'd be tempted to drop Bottas and bring Ocon in no matter what the cost. Bottas does not deserve his Mercedes seat for me, and it is rare for me to be so emphatic about something. I normally sit slightly on the fence, even if I'm leaning one way or the other. For me Bottas doesn't deserve a drive in a top team, unless he really is there as Lewis' wingman.

No.

I let the man himself do the convincing with his racing.
From the very first moment Mercedes signed him, I thought he was just lucky with that moment (all excellent drivers already signed to a team). Would it be this time (with all those good drivers coming up with no seats available), I just doubt if he would get the seat.
Then again, I don't know how Hamilton played his cards for his new contract. He is comfortable with a slow and friendly teammate.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(16-09-2018, 06:22 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  So what do you guys think?

Could you put a "Maybe" option in? The way I see, is Lewis has never been more comfortable in a team than he is now, and the last 2 years, have shown him (Lewis) take a big step forward, now he doesn't have an inter team battle - would I like a competitive driver against him - hell yes, but as a team, he's bringing in "enough" points, and the team as a whole is settled, backing Lewis.

Like you said in a previous post Jody, so many "grey" areas in F1.

But a quote I forgot to post in the race thread. Mark Webber: "105 points difference to his team mate . . . . that's a different championship"

Depends, on how you want Merc, and Lewis to perform as a team. If your a Lewis / Merc fan? yeah keep him. If you want to see Lewis pushed within the team. No - get rid of him, but I will vote, given my personal bias Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 4 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

lol, quite one sided so far.

When the Merc isn't working he deserves his seat, but when it is and they need to capitalise on max points he doesn't. It's a good job HAM doesn't need a teammate pushing him to get the best out of him.

Wonder if there is any regret seeping into Merc management: BOT signed for another year and not performing, while their young star OCO set to leave the grid....

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

I'm torn on this.

1. I think that he does possess ultimate pace, when he can unlock it
2. I really like the bloke (in much the same way as I like Kimi)
3. I think he's had a kick in the goolies with recent comments about "wingman".

On the flipside

1. Mercedes have some great options without a drive (Ocon / Russell)
2. I worry about Velterris mental strength. Yes he's taken a few kicks and has to play number two, but he has a contract for next year and needs to perform to his best ability. I don't think he is at the moment.

Tough one for me.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

(16-09-2018, 07:21 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Wonder if there is any regret seeping into Merc management: BOT signed for another year and not performing, while their young star OCO set to leave the grid....

Surely there has to be regret seeping in. How could there not be. I've defended Bottas, but he just isn't in the same formula as the top drivers. I take Fog's points about having a harmonious team with a clear No.2 driver, because that's clearly what Bottas is, not necessarily because of team orders, but because Lewis is just so much better than him, but at some point Mercedes need to realise they need to bring their young drivers through, and more importantly that Bottas just ins't good enough.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(16-09-2018, 07:22 PM)morini Wrote:  I'm torn on this.

On the flipside

2. I worry about Velterris mental strength. Yes he's taken a few kicks and has to play number two, but he has a contract for next year and needs to perform to his best ability. I don't think he is at the moment.

Tough one for me.

This ^^^

Hmmm, it really is a tough one for me also, feck it put in Ocon as soon as is possible.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(16-09-2018, 07:22 PM)morini Wrote:  I'm torn on this.

On the flipside

Tough one for me.

1. I disagree occasionally he has the pace but more often than not he does not.
2. I like him too, he is a likeable guy but that is life.
3. Well its about the truth of the situation and the reason he is that wingman is his own lack of performance so I dont really have an issue (I think Toto MAY have meant that one race but who truly knows)

On the Flip

1) Lets be realistic here Russell is nowhere near ready for a works team drive. Ocon, absolutely he should be in the seat for next season but alas he will not although the comment made yesterday about Ocon not being in a seat to START the year has me wondering what that is all about.
2) I think he is mentally tough Morini he just is not a top draw driver.

Reality is he will probably be there for next season unless Toto does a reverse deal with Williams and sends him back!!!!!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post