What is your view on three car teams?

(16-09-2018, 11:19 AM)Barry Malawi Wrote:  Three cars sounds like a great idea but I don't think its a practical one unfortunately, unless other changes are made. 

This is pretty much where I am with the idea, in principle, and on the face of things is sounds brilliant doesn't it? A simple and easy way to get more cars onto the grid, make everyone race 3 cars! Simples!!! However, as you say when you start getting into the practicalities of it for F1 it starts to fall apart.

1) Your first point made me laugh, as I'd just watched the qualifying highlights from both Italy and Singapore, and the whinging about traffic on the circuit, so this is a point well made, and I agree, but it's surely not a deal breaker though? I mean we've had other formats of qualifying before and 30 cars before, so it is doable. Although like Morini said elswhere on here, I happen to really, really like this format of qualifying and think it's one of the best formats the sport has had, so changing it wouldn't be agreeable to me.

2) I think this is the one that worries me. In the era of Ascari / Fangio when teams sometimes ran 3 or 4 cars, sometimes more you are absolutely right the tactics got dirty and in the case of Fangio the other cares were literally spares for him after he'd trashed his first car! That's the reason why I personally think from that era we should looke to Ascari, as he didn't do that as much and more often than not finished the race in the car he'd started with. So yeah, it'd increase team tactics / dirty tricks and the sport needs less, not more of that. Sound point.

3) More cars = more accidents seems logical. Certainly more first corner / first lap incidents. I don't think there's any doubt of that in my mind. It would also mean more back markers for the leaders to come through though... soooo... swings and roundabouts. I can see it could be a negative, but again, not a deal breaker for me.

4) This point you raised is the real deal breaker for me. You read that Williams, Force India and Haas have actually financially struggled this season at points to get two cars onto the grid. Prior to the injection of Fiat cash so too did Sauber, I heard that in October last year from somebody if Ferrari didn't step in then Sauber were going to the wall. We very nearly had Force India go to the wall this year. So this is the biggest negative for me. Could Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault easily afford 3 car teams? Yeah, sure, not an issue for them. The rest though? It could kill them.

5) Chaos in the pits isn't really a sound argument against it either, but what is, is the fact that some circuits could actually only accomodate 13 teams right now at a pinch, so that's 26 cars. Monaco I think if I'm right can only JUST accommodate the space the teams currently require. So more than danger or chaos in the pits, it could be a logistics thing. So a fair thing to point out, and something I hadn't considered prior to you pointing it out.

So in summary, great points. For me it's points 2 and 4 that are the most important and point 5 means it's not just the teams needing more dosh, it would actually require some serious building and reworking of many of the current tracks we visit, including classics such as Monza, Spa and Suzuka. So yeah, I'm with you, sounds alright in fantasy land, but when dealing with reality it's just not plausible or feasible.

Also, welcome to the forum if I've not already welcomed you. Great contribution that really made me think.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

(16-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Also, welcome to the forum if I've not already welcomed you. Great contribution that really made me think.

Thanks, its nice to be here!

On my 5th point, I hadn't considered the rebuilding that would be necessary.  Three cars would mean wider garages I suppose... and I've just realised it would mean employing a third pit crew to look after the extra car.  The extra wages are peanuts I suppose in the general scheme of things though.

With all the smart people in F1 I'm sure the third car thing would be possible and I doubt very much if they would go ahead if it made the sport less safe than it already is.  There will be a lot of ideas floating around I expect - if the whole idea isn't quickly dismissed.

If you think nobody cares about you, try skipping a mortgage payment.
[+] 2 users Like Barry Malawi's post

You're right Barry, it can't be instantly dismissed, and I think your post proves that none of us have all the knowledge really required to be able to perfectly predict the full implications a move to 3 car teams would have. It's why I love getting my head together with others who love this sport. You're also right that if there is the will for 3 car teams, given the brains within F1, if they get their collective intellects together then there must surely be a way. I think it's the will thing. Personally I'd love to get more cars onto the grid, we all would, but I'd prefer to see new teams rather than extra cars in the current teams, but that's just me. I can certainly see the other side of the argument.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

So what was the reason the Volkswagen group said no can anyone remind me?? I would quite like to see Toyota come back in they were pretty strong at times, they are heavily involved in hybrid are they not?

(17-09-2018, 03:44 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  So what was the reason the Volkswagen group said no can anyone remind me?? . . . .

VW had bigger concerns at the time of interest. Emissions scandal scuppered it, dunno about Toyota

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever