Raikkonen and Leclerc to swap seats

(11-09-2018, 12:18 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  LotusLover I'm with you on this. Watching Barrichello and especially Alonso pootle around in towards the back of the midfield just wasn't / isn't dignified.

Also agree with you in regards to Giovinazzi versus Fuoco. I still maintain that judging him on his spins in China when Wehrlein confirmed there was a mechanical issue with the car that weekend is harsh. He out qualified Ericsson comprehensively both weekends.

I know everyone has to move over eventually but the whole “Alonso retiring” debacle is truly baffling when he is still one of the best drivers on the grid for me, I sometimes feel we as fans have been robbed of seeing some exceptional racing, I mean Bottas over Fernando that is fundamentally, how should I put this?? BOLLOCKS. Same for Ricciardo although not in the same league as Fernando but still would of took him over Bottas or Leclerc in either car. Only my opinion mind, I really hope CLC is allowed to deliver
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

(11-09-2018, 11:45 AM)NeilP Wrote:  C) Keeping Raikkonen in the sport is good for the health of F1 he has a strong following. I do realise he is taking up space for a potentially young driver but he would also be a great mentor. I am hoping that is the end of Marcus Ericsson and may as I said above allow Antonio Fuoco or Antonio Giovinazzi to be a Sauber driver next season.
Tend to agree if Kimi wants to stay in F1 and has the motivation then i see no issue at all with him having a seat, hes earnd it, and it can only be good for Sauber, and us as spectators I think we will see how some of these young guns measure up to Kimi.
Personally i would have loved to see Antonio Giovinazzi in the Ferrari seat, I believe that he is truly a talented driver and we could do with an Italian driver on the grid (especially in a Ferrari). As mentioned in other posts he was really unlucky with the opportunities he was given, but we all saw a glimpse of what he is capable of and the work he has been doing for SF is outstanding. Lets hope we see him in the other Sauber seat, but unfortunately I dont think it will happen!
[+] 2 users Like F1 Fan's post

Agree with you F1 Fan over Giovinazzi, having an Italian on the grid would be good for the sport. I think he's been judged harshly. He's quick, and in junior formula has proved to be as brave as anyone I've seen in recent years. I hope the sport hasn't passed him by because that would be sad.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lecle...t/3179791/

Charles Leclerc will join Ferrari for the upcoming Pirelli tyre test that the Italian squad will carry out alongside Mercedes at the Paul Ricard circuit.

It will be the first time Leclerc drives this year's Ferrari and the first time he is at the wheel of the Italian car since having been announced as a race driver for the Maranello squad next year.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...e/3182440/

Kimi Raikkonen’s manager Steve Robertson has opened up on the Finn's decision to prolong his Formula 1 career by signing with Sauber after his Ferrari exit.

Raikkonen, who turns 39 next month, put pen to paper on a two-year deal with the team with which he made his F1 debut back in 2001.

Robertson says that Raikkonen's passion for F1 meant that he was not ready to stop or try another category just yet, even though he was left with no options at the front of the grid after losing his Ferrari drive.

“Kimi wants to drive F1 cars, he loves it,” says Robertson. “People are surprised because having driven for Ferrari for so many years most people expected him to retire, sit on his yacht, and enjoy the rest of his life.

“But he loves driving F1 cars, he gets a buzz from that. Kimi loves being on the edge. If he’s not doing this he wants to ride motocross, but this is the pinnacle for him.

“And once we knew that it wasn’t going to happen at Ferrari, he wanted to do a deal.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I have a love/hate relationship with Kimi but I totally respect his abilities and I am so happy for his army of fans he is staying in F1. It is good for the sport even more so than what some people are saying about him taking up a seat that a young driver could have.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(24-09-2018, 11:02 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I have a love/hate relationship with Kimi but I totally respect his abilities and I am so happy for his army of fans he is staying in F1.  It is good for the sport even more so than what some people are saying about him taking up a seat that a young driver could have.

I agree Neil, I am all for seeing up and coming drivers getting a shot in f1 but I would massively prefer to see Kimi remain in f1 over another Vandoorne (for example)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

Following Leclercs recent (tyre) test in a Ferrari, Kimi has now had a Sauber seat fitting according to motorsport....

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...n/3182659/

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(24-09-2018, 11:20 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(24-09-2018, 11:02 AM)NeilP Wrote:  I have a love/hate relationship with Kimi but I totally respect his abilities and I am so happy for his army of fans he is staying in F1.  It is good for the sport even more so than what some people are saying about him taking up a seat that a young driver could have.

I agree Neil, I am all for seeing up and coming drivers getting a shot in f1 but I would massively prefer to see Kimi remain in f1 over another Vandoorne (for example)

I’m going to disagree Forza, you know I’m a big Kimi fan but upon reflection he has had his time in F1 for me now, I understand Sauber get the experience but I would actually prefer to see SVD in that seat, I wouldn’t say the same from Stroll but I just feel SVD got into Mclaren at the worst time and they reallyfucked him!! Love Kimi but not interested in seeing him go around mid table
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(24-09-2018, 01:21 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I’m going to disagree Forza, you know I’m a big Kimi fan but upon reflection he has had his time in F1 for me now, I understand Sauber get the experience but I would actually prefer to see SVD in that seat, I wouldn’t say the same from Stroll but I just feel SVD got into Mclaren at the worst time and they reallyfucked him!! Love Kimi but not interested in seeing him go around mid table

Yeah LL I get what you are saying regarding Kimi....perhaps it is just my rosso tinted glasses Wink

Yep SVD couldnt have made his entrance to f1 at a worse time for Mcl and with a worse team-mate but I just havent seen anything of note from Stoffel (I didnt pick Strollalong as an example for obvious reasons lol)