SVD ditched - Norris in

NeilP after my time at Brown University I too was roped into being a Patriots fan. Even got dragged to a few games at Foxboro Stadium, which should give you a hint as to when I saw them!!! Not American Football's biggest fan, but I can get why going to the game / stadium is a thing. Although most of the "game day" experience seemed to involve drinking overly gasy metallic tasting beer and badly BBQ'ed hotdogs and burgers in parking lots. Do not get Basketball or Baseball, but my inner Swede approves of Ice Hockey.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/2456...pe-brigade

Quite truthful in parts and interesting, in my head I fear the same for Lando I really do!
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

Well, that is the brutal side of the sport you either have it or you dont and if you dont you better learn fast or you are history. SVD in truth has shown little or nothing even allowing for the fact he is driving a poor car. Good drivers show up regardless of what they drive, he has failed miserably. Does that mean he is done in F1, maybe, maybe not.

As regards Lando Norris, he is getting his opportunity he needs to show something with a couple of seasons and he better not screw up his first season too much either. It was obvious Leclerc was special. I have not seen from Norris what l saw from Leclerc and I was not really watching when SVD was in F2 so I have to reserve some judgement. To my untrained eye Russell looks a better driver right now. Verstappen is a one off, there has never been anything like him before. As much as I want to kick him in the ass at times he is amazing.

Its great to have another British driver on the grid, I am behind him all the way.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Hmmm agree to a point but the difference between Mclaren and Sauber are vast, Sauber is a better car and it’s shown and you can only do so much in a sh1t car, like it or not that is testament to the greats like FA. I strongly doubt any rookie will show a quality in that current Mclaren, let’s see what happens in 2019. I hope he proves me wrong
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

Hi, I can see what you both mean, though I think you can show quality in a crap/poor car, Lauda made the BRM look better than it was, Senna made the Toleman look good, Hill made the Arrows look like a winning car & then Alonso made Minardi very happy with his amazing drives, now I'm not saying Lando is as good as these guys (I'm hoping so) but I do believe he has a real chance of showing his talents even in car that's not the best, really hoping he can shine.   Winkblink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(08-09-2018, 11:22 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi, I can see what you both mean, though I think you can show quality in a crap/poor car, Lauda made the BRM look better than it was, Senna made the Toleman look good, Hill made the Arrows look like a winning car & then Alonso made Minardi very happy with his amazing drives, now I'm not saying Lando is as good as these guys (I'm hoping so) but I do believe he has a real chance of showing his talents even in car that's not the best, really hoping he can shine.   Winkblink

I hope so too I really do

(08-09-2018, 11:44 AM)LotusLover Wrote:  
(08-09-2018, 11:22 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi, I can see what you both mean, though I think you can show quality in a crap/poor car, Lauda made the BRM look better than it was, Senna made the Toleman look good, Hill made the Arrows look like a winning car & then Alonso made Minardi very happy with his amazing drives, now I'm not saying Lando is as good as these guys (I'm hoping so) but I do believe he has a real chance of showing his talents even in car that's not the best, really hoping he can shine.   Winkblink

I hope so too I really do

Maybe with Sainz as partner it’s a better chance, with Alonso not so sure
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

Exactly my point Papa, you dont have to win races or get a podium just look good driving whatever you are driving. SVD has looked anything but good for the most part in that McLaren.

Leclerc just looked a class above everyone in F2, you knew he would deliver in F1 how far he goes we shall see. Personally I think he could well be up there with Verstappen in the future.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(08-09-2018, 11:44 AM)LotusLover Wrote:  Maybe with Sainz as partner it’s a better chance, with Alonso not so sure
SVD has looked anything but good for the most part in that Mc Laren.
[/quote] Neil

Thing is I want to feel for SVD being up against a monster Like Fernando, thing is, "if" he was destined for greatness he would have at least matched/got close to him, who knows how Lando would have done against him, still "if" he can annoy Carlos (with his pace) the top teams would look at him no doubt.

Agree with you both really, + one more Brit on the grid definite bonus for me, hoping George is next, though I have no idea where, be sad if he wins F2 & had no seat.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Leclerc was a step above in an F2 class full of averages and long term drop outs. That's not denigrating the lad, but it is true. He still beat what was put in front of him though, and you're right, he looked class. The same is true of Verstappen, the grid he was up against hadn't exactly produced much in the way of talent, but it was clear he was a step above, certainly on single lap pace. However, he still hasn't dropped his little League sit in the middle of the road and swerve tactics.

The group of drivers the likes of Vettel, Hulkenberg, Hamilton, Rosberg, Massa and Grosjean had to come through was a seriously tough group of drivers. But worse for them was the sorts of drivers already on the grid were also damn good, so forcing their way into the grid was stupidly tough. It's why I have a lot of time for that generation of drivers (Moanjean aside, although I admit grudgingly he's quick over a lap).

The generation just at below them never really produced much. Stofel Vandorne and Kevin Mad Dog Magnussen. The current crop coming through look good. The youngster in GP3 look really good, I'm seeing a lot of potential there, and quite frankly over the next couple of seasons if you're not performing you're probably being replaced by a baby faced assassin... unless your daddy buys you an F1 team.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post