Lando Norris

(14-11-2023, 04:48 PM)Westie Wrote:  1) Constant talk of Lando to Red Bull in the press yet again.  

2) We know Red Bull can't produce a second car that can challenge their first car.... driver you say... really?  Well if it is only the quality of driver,  why then is Red Bull management so poor at finding a decent second driver for that seat.

3) My theory is that the team can't maintain the same level of service to two drivers and naturally gravitate to one and then make everything about that one.  So for a second driver to have any success in that second car - they need to drive in Max's style to benefit from the "equal" treatment or application of technology.  I think the cars are perhaps the same on default settings but like a swiss army knife... if you try to open can with the blade it is far less effective that using the proper can opening accessory and if no one points this out to the second driver because he's not supported in the same way... then clearly the cars will be night and day... as they now are.

4) Whilst it might be fun to see Lando in a Red Bull - I suspect we may be disappointed in the result and it would lower people's opinion of him and thus devalue his currency in the pit lane thru no fault of his own because Red Bull as a team doesn't know how to support two drivers at the sharp end.

Hiya

1) I saw on PF1 that Lando said he would one day like to be in the same team as Max, I'd like it & I reckon he would give Max a run for his money, maybe not the first year but I'd wager he would annoy Max in the second, certainly be a much tougher challenge than Checo.

To his credit Lando also said he would love to see Lewis in the second car.  (never going to happen sadly)

2) See this is one of the reasons (of many) RB grind my gears, early this year when the car had understeer Checo could best Max, so RB then made their car pointy to suit Max, fair enough helping out their no1... but why didn't they set up one car for Checo & one for Max? why did Checo have to drive a car not suited to him, I'd guess the Helmut & Short spice would say the pointy car was the quicker, but was it? I think they could do two cars but...

With Checo, Danny, Yuki they will get away with doing this but imo if a high profile driver like Lando was in the other seat they would be held to account more.

As for the second driver they are protecting Max aren't they, all teams have done it over the time I've watched F1, when we have had two Alpha drivers in the team those were the best years, Mansell v Piquet, Senna v Prost. ect.

3) See I think they can, but dont/won't as I thought in 2, its very possible I'm wrong (I am often  Wink ) & you are right but being a sceptical old git I'm suspicous RB are not helping Checo in the way any other team would help their no 2.

4) Your not the first to say Lando should be wary of joining RB, if they favoured Max the way they have with Lando yes it would be disapointing for Lando & us fans but again would they be able to/get away with doing it with a big rising star like Lando in the sister car? I still think they can support two cars/drivers but just haven't since Max joined.  

(thats one reason Danny left + a massive Renault pay cheque)

I started this reply really confident & hopeful Lando would be in the sister car & be treated equally but the more I typed the less confident I got,
RB wouldn't be able to screw Lando in the same way they have Checo..... would they?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

Yes - they would simply say that their man was just better than Lando - and then send hollow platitudes Lando's way about him being a great driver and that they are very happy with him supporting their man.

Sorry Paps - I'd almost be inclined to agree with them as well if he joins Red Bull because he would be doing more of what he does today on the track with Max i.e. capitulate.

If he wants to be proper competition to Max he needs to do so as the number 1 in a team as that is what it will take. He won't do it from the number 2 seat at Red Bull Max Verstrappon Racing.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

(14-11-2023, 05:55 PM)Westie Wrote:  Yes - they would simply say that their man was just better than Lando - and then send hollow platitudes Lando's way about him being a great driver and that they are very happy with him supporting their man.

Sorry Paps - I'd almost be inclined to agree with them as well if he joins Red Bull because he would be doing more of what he does today on the track with Max i.e. capitulate. 

If he wants to be proper competition to Max he needs to do so as the number 1 in a team as that is what it will take.  He won't do it from the number 2 seat at Red Bull Max Verstrappon Racing.

I hope you're wrong.... but fear you may be right.  

No sorry needed mate - I'd also like to see Lando fight more, but Max's car is so far infront/better than Lando's its not easy for Lando is it, with equal cars I'm sure Lando would get his elbows out more, George does with Max, 
Lewis should have done it more in 2021, after the break testing he should have fought fire with fire.  

I'm fairly confident when he has a car to fight with Max on more equal terms the friendship will be forgotten & he will be much more agressive when fighting for wins & hopefully for championships. 

Yeah TBH I would rather McLaren would build him a car that could challenge Max on a more equal terms.

Also I'm really not convinced the Helmet or Short Spice would want to get Lando, they may say it in public but I'd bet in private they don't want Max to be challenged, they want a no2 & Lando is quality.

Still time will tell.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 5 users Like PapaofGags's post

McLaren are rumoured to have extended Lando Norris' contract beyond the 2025 season

Now confirmed...."multi year deal"

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Its confirmed he has signed an additional year until end of 2026 minimum (Sounds like there are some options in there for which side who knows). I am hoping McLaren can build on last year. Piastri and Norris in my book are the second best pair of drivers on the grid I still have Leclerc and Sainz ahead of them. Probably have Red Bull and Mercedes team drivers as a coin toss.

Still talk of Norris to Mercedes.... eventually (mainly I think these days from fans). I dont know why though. Mercedes suck and have a lot to prove I cannot believe Wolff got a contract extension with such poor performance it makes zero sense to me.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post