No1 No2 and team orders

(04-09-2018, 10:39 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I know a lot of Hamilton fans don't rate Rosberg

I'm not one of them! (just wanted to clear that up in case these's any doubt)

I always thought Rosberg was quick. Not naturally, instinctively, rag the arse off a car quick but he was a damn hard worker and brought great car development skills. He outperformed Schumacher, for a start off. I won't lie and say I liked the guy, always thought he was a bit sneaky and untrustworthy but he sure had a knack of improving his performance throughout the weekend. Chipping away at it, studying telemetry and his teammates lines. A real grafter in fact. A lot of times he put his best laps together in quali 2 & 3 when it counted. Lacking in race craft though (in my opinion).

He won his 2016 championship through consistency. Nobody can say he didn't deserve it, but I still maintain he wasn't actually the best driver that year. 2016 has one of the least welcome records for the runer up - only driver to have won 10 races (should have been 11) and not walk away with the title.

Just goes to show, consictency and maximising potential on the days you don't win really pays dividends. Sometimes drivers have to think about the percentage game. This is an approach Sebastian has not really embraced this year (or last). I wonder if it will cost him?
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

My comment about "Hamilton fans" wasn't actually directed at anyone in particular, either on these forums or off them, it's just that during those 3 seasons you'd often hear Hamilton fans on various websites and forums denigrating the guy, and calling into question his ability. That's nuts. His junior record was exemplary, and I happen to think you're wrong Morini, the guy did have natural pace and speed. He showed it throughout his career. No question with you over his race craft though, he was clumsy, like a certain other German I likened him too. The point I was making is that the stats looked so good for Mercedes often because their two drivers were both top draw, just one more top than the other. I honestly do think Rosberg was at a similar level to Vettel, I genuinely rated the guy.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

(04-09-2018, 10:03 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  the guy did have natural pace and speed. He showed it throughout his career.

Well, he was the youngest F1 driver to set a fastest lap until Max took that off him in 2016. But I still think he was more of a "chip away at it" driver than a "jump it and wring the ollies out of it" driver. But fast either way, no arguments from me.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post