No1 No2 and team orders

I thought I would open a topic that has been discussed many times but put it here rather than clog individual race threads.

So my opinion for No1 and No2 drivers is basically it should not be allowed full stop, my reasons why:

It kills quite a lot of transfer activity, a team should feel comfortable in choosing two premium drivers who can not only pick up best possible points for their team but also so the fans get to see premium racing against another teams best drivers.
No driver should be allowed to dictate to its team conditions on which they will race including being given priority.

ALL drivers should have equal treatment throughout the season. If your no.1 then prove it by beating everyone including your teammate.

It would probably make the season a much more interesting spectacle.

Not sure how to manage this but collisions between teammates should be sorted internally but with transparency.

Team orders can imo detract from fair racing. 

The only order should be no collisions between teammates 

I know it’s not as simple but it drives me nuts when we have two drivers in a equal team not fighting it out.

All views welcome and observed in a fair subjective manner thanks all
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

In an ideal world I agree with you. However, once you get past a certain point in the season and it becomes obvious there is one driver in realistic conterntion then you can't blame the teams for maximising the chances of the driver who's fighting the championship. It is so tight this year it will be the difference between winning and losing.

I honestly beleive Mercedes gave Bottas and Hamilton equal treatment up until the point Hamilton had significantly gapped him. Ferrari, on the other hand, seem to back a lead driver from day 1.

I don't like it either, but I am realistic about it.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(02-09-2018, 04:38 PM)morini Wrote:  In an ideal world I agree with you. However, once you get past a certain point in the season and it becomes obvious there is one driver in realistic conterntion then you can't blame the teams for maximising the chances of the driver who's fighting the championship. It is so tight this year it will be the difference between winning and losing.

Personally I like that its a team sport & all that goes with it, some days your the dog, some days your the tree.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I understand your point but it kind of negates racing, and I only see that as a negative for fans overall, but yes it is difficult to manage, I know Senna Prost seasons in Mclaren were particularly fraught, but wasn’t it exciting! I feel when the drivers market is constricted for fear of upsetting a driver then that is harmful to the spectacle as a whole, look at Leclerc to Ferrari, he would probably play no.2 to Vettel but why should he? He earns his chance to race at the team and for championships, same with Ricciardo I would like to of seen him at Mercedes competing with Lewis but personally feel Mercedes relented as they were in contractual discussion with Lewis did he want the competition I don’t think so! I know it won’t happen but we lose lots of drivers plus with Toto on about the driver programme earlier, ALL drivers need to prove themselves year in year out against the best on offer. Writing this I know it’s a theoretical discussion situation, I find myself referring to F2 a lot these days but the thrill of seeing ALL drivers fighting it out is a better spectacle on the whole. Today was exciting in F1 but imagine we had the opportunity of seeing them all scrapping ah I am in dreamland haha

(02-09-2018, 04:43 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(02-09-2018, 04:38 PM)morini Wrote:  In an ideal world I agree with you. However, once you get past a certain point in the season and it becomes obvious there is one driver in realistic conterntion then you can't blame the teams for maximising the chances of the driver who's fighting the championship. It is so tight this year it will be the difference between winning and losing.

Personally I like that its a team sport & all that goes with it, some days your the dog, some days your the tree.

See for me Papa it is a team sport but only in that the team give their driver the best car they can! And only there, but yes i agree it makes the constructors championship harder to manage but hey that’s motorsport for you Smile

(02-09-2018, 04:43 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  

Nice analogy btw Smile
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

Its never really been made much of when Ferrari do it constantly it only seems to have reared its head now Hamiltons team are doing it could this be a large bowl of sour grapes?

It would of course be nice to see each driver race for himself and himself only but this has happened for donkeys years.

As regards Hamiltons two overtakes I understand Ferrari fans frustration but the independent observers all say racing incident with the majority of fault lying in Vettels hands. His overtake on Raikkonen was sublime and Raikkonen being the type of person he is had no axe to grind with it and behaved as all drivers should.

Verstappen on the other hand showed today he has not changed, that was a very poor piece of driving.

It was a great race today and Mercedes took full advantage of having two drivers upfront, you are deluding yourself if you dont think Ferrari would have done the same given the opportunity.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(02-09-2018, 05:09 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Its never really been made much of when Ferrari do it constantly it only seems to have reared its head now Hamiltons team are doing it could this be a large bowl of sour grapes?

It would of course be nice to see each driver race for himself and himself only but this has happened for donkeys years.

As regards Hamiltons two overtakes I understand Ferrari fans frustration but the independent observers all say racing incident with the majority of fault lying in Vettels hands. His overtake on Raikkonen was sublime and Raikkonen being the type of person he is had no axe to grind with it and behaved as all drivers should.

Verstappen on the other hand showed today he has not changed, that was a very poor piece of driving.

It was a great race today and Mercedes took full advantage of having two drivers upfront, you are deluding yourself if you dont think Ferrari would have done the same given the opportunity.

I think you are on the wrong thread Neil

(02-09-2018, 05:19 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I think you are on the wrong thread Neil

Well Neil did ask me where to get a flapjack lol.    Stoned

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(02-09-2018, 05:09 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Its never really been made much of when Ferrari do it constantly it only seems to have reared its head now Hamiltons team are doing it could this be a large bowl of sour grapes?

Its never really been made much of when Ferrari do it constantly it only seems to have reared its head now Hamiltons team are doing it could this be a large bowl of sour grapes?

See i take issue with this, when it was going on in MS era and it did that’s a fact, but many people were saying he only gets the wins because of this, so what is good for the goose is good for the gander, I agree it’s been going on for years but you seem to be missing the point mate, look at DR he should of been in either a Ferrari or Merc but because I believe neither Seb or Lewis fancy the opposition and have established their dominance within the team they would not have it, and there is my beef, we have a great racer having to go to Renault who are nowhere near competitive and we as motor racing fans lose out. To say it’s  been happening for donkeys years is not really a discussion, I was making the point it negates racing, I totally get what Morini is saying about not jeopardising titles burn its a shame because it narrows down who can race and who cannot. If Seb had not spun I know full well Kimi would of had to hand over and although I kind of understand I feel it is a major flaw in the sport to see the lack of ability in overtaking. Have a look a time opening thread to see my issues with the whole thing.

(02-09-2018, 05:31 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  
(02-09-2018, 05:19 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  I think you are on the wrong thread Neil

Well Neil did ask me where to get a flapjack lol.    Stoned

Must of been a big one haha

Agree that Ferrari wouldn't have done any different, so all i say is when either of them do it treat them equally, dont say its somehow bad when SF do it and good team work when Merc do it. I am not deluded, but I cant stand the fact that its somehow different and acceptable when and how Merc do it.

About the overtakes, no frustration at all with the one on Kimi, but the one on Vettel is a different matter, when you say independent observers you mean Sky and a Merc man, really. 

I am not saying it was anything over the top, but it could have ended up badly for LH, and i have no doubt whos fault it would have been then. All i want to see is some genuine impartiality, not to much to ask.
[+] 1 user Likes F1 Fan's post

Wrong thread guys lol go to Italian race you buggers to discuss race Smile
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post