(18-06-2023, 06:10 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I get your point Papa but what is the difference between making a pigs ear of your car or making a bad tyre choice at least it opens up options.

My F1 knowledge as I frequently say is limited 

Make a set of tyres with a wider range of performance. Make one that will go the whole race, make one that will be allow teams to run flat out for a suitable distance and finally make one half way between the two. Just 3 tyre types for ALL tracks not god knows how many different compounds. It would be cheaper, it would introduce options for teams to try, it would open the door for more overtaking. Obviously Wet and Inters would remain.

You can change the car mate, you would be stuck with the tyres.      Shutup

Obviously so is mine, its just my opinion, you might have noticed..... I'm often wrong    Tongue

See this I could agree with, like the idea to use all three tyre's (SMH) in each race, it would open up the strategy options,
think its a good idea.      Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Yeah I think that if the race is dry and they bring 3 tyre options to a track they should be made to run all 3 tyre options.

Now having said that, I don't really know if that would improve the racing at all - it would mean that teams that are kind to their tyres are no longer penalised perhaps and it panders to those who want a spec series. What I'd like to avoid is one stop races... they are slow and boring and usually if one team selects that route... they all do.

So there you go, I'd like to be able to stop talking about tyres but on the other hand what other tools would teams have to win and introduce variability. If we prescribed that all tyres should be used... then I'd want to see the pits closed when there's a safety car because nothing is more unfair that someone having worked hard to build up a lead - only to have it taken away cos the safety car plays into the team chasing rather than the team who earned it... 2021 anyone?
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post

"If we prescribed that all tyres should be used... then I'd want to see the pits closed when there's a safety car because nothing is more unfair that someone having worked hard to build up a lead - only to have it taken away cos the safety car plays into the team chasing rather than the team who earned it... 2021 anyone?"

Putting aside my fanhood and to avoid repeating myself for the millionth time about 2021 I totally agree with that. The pits should absolutely be closed during VSC and Safety Cars. I could also make a case for not allowing any changes to a car during a Red Flag session. In all of those cases you were running on track as you wanted prior to the change of circumstances why should any race interruption change that.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

So a couple of years ago I'd have disagreed about the reset under the red flag given that a couple of years ago a red flag was not a common occurrence. Also our man has benefited from the red flag in recent times... but also lost out so there has been some balance.

Given that these days a Red Flag seems to appear when there's a visor tear off floating out on track I'm more inclined to agree... no changes allowed under the Red Flag until the Stewards start to behave themselves.
[+] 4 users Like Westie's post