(18-12-2020, 10:52 PM)morini Wrote:  I've not really got much of an opinion on Perez. He took LH's mclaren seat when he left for Mercedes but they were on a downward spiral at that point (no LH to develop the car properly). Since then he has shown he can certainly manage tyres and coax a car to the flag, but I'm Not convinced of his racing credentials to be honest.

I like Checo. But, is he fast enough on absolute pace? I mean Max isn't exactly a qualifying god to start with. Three poles in six (I think) seasons?

I think it would be fair to say that he has shown himself to be better than the other candidates (All three other RBR drivers other than Max TBH, although Gasly has performed well at AlphaTauri) and in particular better than Albon. Hulkenburg would have been the other but he has never had a podium which i think would have affected the stats.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the car set up / design which suits Max is one which many other drivers seem to struggle with (Gasly and Albon being recent examples) so it will be interesting to see if that proves to be the case with Checo as well.
[+] 2 users Like PaddyB's post

The way I look at it, regardless of how we all rate Perez, he only has to better Albons results over the season for this to look like a good decision from RBR........and for sure I think Perez is capable of doing so.

Albons 2020 race finishing positions...

DNF
DNF

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Another shot at a top team for Perez (well 2013 McLaren was slipping a little) but anyway. He's more complete now, but as Paddy say's if a drivers style doesn't suit a car, neither will perform, and perhaps Perez is a little set in his ways after being at a team who's car characteristics are a stark contrast to what he is going into, for such a long time.

I guess we are all hoping that Lewis's comments ring true, and Perez joining RedBull will make their fight with Merc much more intense and interesting.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Very early in the season, but why not speculate; Perez is acting like Bottas while Ricciardo does not know how a Mclaren works.

The scenario of Red Bull trading Perez in for Ricciardo seems pretty interesting for next year.
Especially if Red Bull does not manage to provide Verstappen the championship winning car and Mercedes is looking for young drivers, new "Hamiltons".

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Well, how wrong was I with that last comment of mine about Perez in may?
The guy proved me wrong and I am glad he did since I always liked him.

Now he seems to know the car, knows the game to play and fits in perfectly in the team; isn't it a no-brainer for Red Bull to sign him for next year?

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 3 users Like Antilochos's post

(24-06-2021, 08:58 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  isn't it a no-brainer for Red Bull to sign him for next year?

Yes  Wink

He said judge me after 5 race's, then won the 6th, the lads doing exactly what Red Bull need him to do, none of the "young guns" could manage this, cant be much fun being Max's team mate, but more & more Checo is looking the part.    Cool

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Perez signs two-year extension to Red Bull F1 contract.

Perez appeared to misspeak at the podium ceremony, telling team boss Christian Horner "I signed too soon" and two days later the team has now confirmed Perez will stay on.

Rather than signing another one-year deal, Perez now gets a two-year deal that will see him partner Verstappen until the end of the 2024 season.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Has no option but to accept his wingman status. Happy for him on a personal level.
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

According to De Telegraaf, there is a clause in Perez’s deal that states if he falls 125 points or more behind team-mate Verstappen then Red Bull have the option of downgrading his multi-million dollar deal.

Perez’s current deal is reportedly around €7m with a bonus €3m but both of these values may be cut as Perez is exactly 125 points behind Verstappen heading into the summer break.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(05-08-2023, 05:24 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  According to De Telegraaf, there is a clause in Perez’s deal that states if he falls 125 points or more behind team-mate Verstappen then Red Bull have the option of downgrading his multi-million dollar deal.

^^^ Just correcting this.

Helmut Marko rubbishes Sergio Perez Red Bull pay cut talk.

With Perez now 125 points behind Verstappen in the standings, a report from De Telegraaf had claimed that this deficit now activates a clause in Perez’s contract which allows Red Bull to slash his multi-million dollar salary.

Marko though has made it clear that no such option exists.

“I don’t know where this is coming from again,” Marko told F1-Insider.com. “It’s completely made up out of thin air.

“The contracts are precisely regulated. There will be no salary cuts.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post