How do you like me now?

Well, I got to say I was very uncomplimentary of the halo when it was introduced, having seen totally open cockpits all my time following F1 I thought what an abomination.

Supporters of its introduction made the comments about safety and how in time it would blend into the car and it would not be as noticeable as it was at first and while I was grudgingly okay with the safety aspect of it I thought no way on the visual effects.

Well, as with many things for yours truly I was wrong. Maybe not for all people but for me it has blended into the car. I am looking forward to the video that will be available (I think next season) of the race track from the halo should be an amazing perspective. However more importantly the safety aspect, having seen photographs of Charles Leclerc's Sauber after Sundays race that was for me at least the final nail in the coffin so to speak of any dislike. I love it.

I apologise (not) for the enticing title of the thread from which no doubt had you all lining up to express your views on me, no it was something way more important than that.

Sorry Forza, maybe next time Smile
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

For me also the Halo has indeed blended in and not as much of an eye sore as I once thought....(I would imagine its the same for most of us...we adapt pretty quickly) only when we see the driver risking his low hanging body parts getting in and out of the car does it remind us just how ugly it looks, but as we witnessed on Sunday it is doing its intended job pretty well.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say I am a "fan" of the Halo, but once it was announced I quickly got on board. Sure it's ugly as sin (although I even surprised myself with how quickly it has become 'normal' for my eyes). But - and I said this at the time it was announced - once it had been invented, it could never be un-invented and as soon as a driver was injured without it, there would be an uproar and a pile of law suits taller than Mrs Ecclestone.

If social media were as prevalent back then as it is now, we'd have been having the same conversations about full-face helmets, seat-belts, CF tub constructions etc... It just goes to show that the safety of the sport is always evolving, and whether our snap opinions at the time are pro- or anti- it's unanimously for the better.

I am pleased the whole sport (incl. the majority of the fan base) have accepted the halo so quickly, and equally I am pleased that it has a) been tested and b) passed with flying colours on a number of occasions this season (Specifically - papaya in Belgium!)

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 4 users Like Purple-banana's post

(28-08-2018, 11:52 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:   a pile of law suits taller than Mrs Ecclestone.

Lol, I misread this and thought "taller than MR Ecclestone?? f*cking nora that wouldnt be too many"  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

This is a first, pretty much agree with every word Purple posted, think I need a smoke now Haha.      Laughing

This is Martin Brundle's view from SKY.

I have not been a fan of the halo because I don't like what it stands for in the gladiatorial nature of being an F1 driver, what might be next, and how it looks. I remain concerned that it could still deflect cars and parts towards the driver in some circumstances, and affect driver egress in a big shunt.

I've twice worn an F1 car on my head flying in from behind courtesy of Patrick Tambay at Monaco in 1986, and Jos Verstappen at Interlagos in 1994, and so I have some first-hand experience of this. Looking at the footage and stills I'm not convinced that the Halo saved Charles Leclerc's life but it sure as hell didn't do any harm, and may have saved serious injury if the angles were slightly different. Pre-halo the rollover bar and cockpit sides have done a pretty good job too in these circumstances.

Just as when we lost Jules Bianchi I would have been as distraught as anybody if we lost Charles, so I guess I'm going to have to change my mind on the halo.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

(28-08-2018, 02:07 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  This is a first, pretty much agree with every word Purple posted, think I need a smoke now Haha.      Laughing
I know, reasonable Ferrari fans who would have thought they truly existed Papa. I thought they were in the same Genus as Unicorns.
I must be coming down with something too because I cannot disagree with Purple either, time for a check up methinks!
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

(28-08-2018, 05:23 PM)NeilP Wrote:  
(28-08-2018, 02:07 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  This is a first, pretty much agree with every word Purple posted, think I need a smoke now Haha.      Laughing
I know, reasonable Ferrari fans who would have thought they truly existed Papa. I thought they were in the same Genus as Unicorns.
I must be coming down with something too because I cannot disagree with Purple either, time for a check up methinks!

You do know that you get white, red and silver unicorns don't you Winkblink
[+] 3 users Like F1 Fan's post

(28-08-2018, 05:23 PM)NeilP Wrote:  I know, reasonable Ferrari fans who would have thought they truly existed Papa. 

Harsh but fair  Tongue

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Good piece of video from Leclercs 360 camera!

https://twitter.com/F1/status/1034015162...sip-column
[+] 4 users Like F1 Fan's post

Still think that thing, the halo, looks like a tumor on a F1 car. Also makes F1 looks like a sport for sissies. Atletes on bikes must be masters of the universe compared to F1 drivers.
Yes, the halo of Leclerc was clearly hit and damaged last race, but was it damaged just because it was there? And I mean, way out there, way up there sticking out waiting to hit anything that dares to come near the car? Would the driver be hurt if the halo was not there?

I stay with my first stand; F1 is open cockpit sport and the risk of a driver being hurt via the open cockpit has shown to be very slim over the years. The risk adds something exciting to the sport and the be honest, those "sissy" drivers all choose fot the sport with no hale, they choose for that little risk as it is.

So, I'm still in the anti-halo camp.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post