Lance Stroll has said he understands Esteban Ocon’s impending exit from Force India is “unfair”, but he still believes he is deserving of replacing him.

Ocon revealed at the Belgian Grand Prix that he does not have a seat at Force India next season as it is has been “bought” by the Stroll family.
This prompted both Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel to defend the Frenchman, while rumours circulated that Ocon could in fact be dislodged before the current season is finished.

After Lance’s father, Lawrence, completed his takeover of Force India, it is a matter of when, not if, Lance makes the move from Williams.
But, while he understands the harsh reality that exists in Formula 1, Stroll thinks he deserves more credit and that his driving ability, not his money, should be taken into account, too.
“I’m not arguing that point, but my results and what I’ve done in the past should have been acknowledged a little bit more,” Stroll told The Telegraph in an exclusive interview.
“It’s very harsh. Sometimes a footballer has more ability, potentially, than another.
“It just happens to be that one gets thrown in a shi**y club, and another with less ability gets a great pay cheque at a better club.
“I’m not disagreeing that the system isn’t entirely fair all the time.
“But I deserve more than just mention of the money that’s behind me. And it’s not entirely my father.
“Aside from him, I bring in partnerships with JCB, Canada Life, Bombardier. So, I think there’s a separation between my father and I, to a certain extent.”
Stroll is well aware that the imminent move will not sit well with others and does understand how the situation looks from Ocon’s perspective.

“Potentially, my father buying this team can make it a much better team, much more competitive. It’s not, in my eyes, a big negative,” he added.
“From Esteban’s point of view, it’s triggered towards me, because my father’s involved in Force India. Drivers from certain backgrounds will have their view on how things should be. Drivers with financial backing will think otherwise.
“If he takes me to Force India, that’s his choice, and I understand that for Esteban, that might not be great or fair.

“But I think that I deserve to be recognised more for the results I’ve achieved. I wanted to get that off my chest.”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Lance Stroll is deluded. That is all. I'm hearing the only reason Ocon wasn't replaced at FI in Monza is because the FIA and LM are twisting their arm. I personally think if Lance Stroll goes into FI and displaces Ocon the team will lose sponsors because of the negativity. It's funny he mentioned Bombardier and Canada Life, two companies his father has held shares in, and been on the board of directors. It's his daddies money that got him into F1, and it's his daddies money keeping him there. Really, really going off of him very rapidly.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

If he thinks he is more deserving than Ocon currently he is kidding himself! Money talks in his case that is all
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

(06-09-2018, 08:39 PM)LotusLover Wrote:  If he thinks he is more deserving than Ocon currently he is kidding himself! Money talks in his case that is all

Well the rumours I've heard is that Williams were going to drop him because his daddies money wasn't enough compensation... so his dad tried pimping him around the paddock and no one was interested. So, he bought Force India. This really isn't a good look for F1. Can you imagine a rich kid playing for Real Madrid because his dad bought the team? Because (not) sorry Lance that's the analogy in your metaphor. It's just mental.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...r/3174886/

Losing Esteban Ocon from Formula 1 in 2019 would be a "complete shame for Formula 1", believes DTM boss Gerhard Berger.

Ocon's options to remain on the F1 grid are limited, especially while he retains his ties to Mercedes, with its other customer team Williams a possible destination but courting other drivers to suit its financial needs.

That has led Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff to admit he would consider releasing Ocon if it was the best option for his future.
Renault, McLaren and Red Bull have all openly stated that Ocon's long-term link to Mercedes is a turn-off, even though the youngster is so highly-rated.

If former DTM driver Ocon was a free agent, he would immediately become more appealing to Red Bull, especially as its junior team Toro Rosso has two unconfirmed seats.
Fellow Mercedes protege Pascal Wehrlein lost his F1 seat at the end of 2017 and a lack of options forced a return to the DTM, with Ocon potentially in a similar situation to his former teammate.
"No, I would not like to have Ocon because it means he would not be in Formula 1 and I think it would be a complete shame for Formula 1 to lose such a talent," Berger told Motorsport.com.

"It should be the other way around [with DTM drivers going to F1]. We would like to position our drivers in F1 because they are good enough."
Following the latest moves in the drivers market - with Kimi Raikkonen and Charles Leclerc swapping places for 2019 - Esteban Ocon took to Twitter to say he was not giving up on his F1 future.

"I have to think everyone for all the kind messages and support I receive every day," Ocon tweeted.
"We have been in tough situations before and we've always overcome those, there was no easy way throughout my career as you know.
"I can promise you that it's not at this moment [that] I will give up. Motivation is high and my old time rivals are in top cars and this makes me hungrier than ever.
"I dream F1, I train F1, I eat F1, I play F1, I think F1. I'm born to race and my only goal is to be champion and [it] will always be."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Maybe Toto Wolffs idea of a third team for some teams is not that bad of an idea. Its crazy we are probably going to lose Ocon.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

(11-09-2018, 06:33 PM)NeilP Wrote:  Maybe Toto Wolffs idea of a third team for some teams is not that bad of an idea. Its crazy we are probably going to lose Ocon.

Nature of the sport unfortunately, been said a zillion times it’s all about timing
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ocon-...s/3175826/

Force India driver Esteban Ocon says he's "really disappointed" that his strong results haven't been enough to ensure his place on the Formula 1 grid for 2019.

Mercedes-backed Ocon has been impressive in his second full season in F1, and looked set to move to the works Renault team for next year.

But Daniel Ricciardo's decision to leave Red Bull for Renault threw Ocon's plans into disarray, as his current team is set to replace him with Lance Stroll following its takeover while alternative opportunities look unlikely to materialise.

"I am not frustrated, I am really disappointed. That is more the word," said Ocon of his current situation,

"I am not upset against anyone or anything. But I have worked really hard to get here, I keep working really hard to perform those last two years.
"This year I have progressed compared to last year and it is 11-3 in qualifying against [teammate] Sergio [Perez]. I am fighting hard to do the best I can every race and arriving here, not knowing what I will do next year is hard to swallow obviously."
Ocon admitted his chances of remaining on the grid are diminishing.

"There are still hopes, but less and less as you know," he said. "That is what I am disappointed [about] at the moment - to see that it is not only results that come in play.
"It has to be other things, and that is what I am disappointed about – to be in that situation, because it is hard to believe that I was in a great position two months ago and things have come that way now."
Asked whether joining Mercedes customer Williams could be an option, he said: "There are still talks probably with them or wherever I could go, but they are less and less also."

Ocon said his benefactors at Mercedes were "pushing hard" to secure his F1 future, but said that "it seems harder than it should be".

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

I have to say losing Wehrlein from the grid felt like a really bad move, in previous eras of F1 there'd be no way we'd have lost him. Giovinazzi not being able to find a drive shows the parlous state of the sport... but... genuinely losing a driver of Ocon's undeniable ability would be an absolute disaster. In my mind he's up there with the other young hotshots like Leclerc and Verstappen. Losing him will Rob us of a real talent. However, I have to say Mercedes are also partly to blame, Ferrari have given Leclerc his chance why haven't Mercedes given Ocon his? He's good enough. However, I can't believe Haas or Williams aren't interested. I can understand why daddy Stroll doesn't want him at FI making Lance look like a loser, but surely someone else sees his worth?
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(13-09-2018, 12:44 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I have to say losing Wehrlein from the grid felt like a really bad move, in previous eras of F1 there'd be no way we'd have lost him. Giovinazzi not being able to find a drive shows the parlous state of the sport... but... genuinely losing a driver of Ocon's undeniable ability would be an absolute disaster. In my mind he's up there with the other young hotshots like Leclerc and Verstappen. Losing him will Rob us of a real talent. However, I have to say Mercedes are also partly to blame, Ferrari have given Leclerc his chance why haven't Mercedes given Ocon his? He's good enough. However, I can't believe Haas or Williams aren't interested. I can understand why daddy Stroll doesn't want him at FI making Lance look like a loser, but surely someone else sees his worth?

I even would drop Bottas for Ocon. Would love to see a three way battle for championship in future with Verstappen, Leclerc and Ocon in respectively Red Bull, Ferrari and Mercedes.

As a Mercedes protegé, he is limited to Mercedes, Force India and Williams. 
Since Mercedes will not let Bottas go and there is just a very slim change daddy Stroll wants Ocon as baby Stroll's teammate, I can't understand why Ocon is not yet set for the Williams team. Where else can he go and who better can Williams get?
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post