Carlos Sainz

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz...89/?nrt=54

Former McLaren Formula 1 driver Jenson Button says that new signing Carlos Sainz will need to be patient and shouldn't expect a swift turnaround in the team's fortunes.

Button, who claimed the team's most recent grand prix win in the 2012 season finale in Brazil, left the championship two years ago, in the middle of McLaren's ultimately ill-fated stint with engine supplier Honda.

McLaren has switched to using Renault engines from 2018 onwards, but its first campaign with the French manufacturer's power units has also been a disappointment – as it sits only seventh in the constructors' standings.
The team will not retain two-time champion Fernando Alonso in its line-up for next year, but has signed Sainz in his place – the latter forced to find alternative employment after his current team Renault pulled off a surprise move for Daniel Ricciardo.

"It's good - but is it stepping up, you know?" Button said when asked of Sainz's McLaren switch.
"He was racing for the works Renault team, who are performing very well this year. He's moving to McLaren, whether it's the right move I don't know.

"I think he obviously didn't have the option to race at Renault this year with Daniel moving there, so I guess it's the right decision."
Button warned that Sainz has to realise the scope of the challenge he will face at McLaren as the Woking-based team will need time to return to its former glory.
"I don't think the pace of the car is going to turn around for next year, it's going to be difficult, 'cause they've dropped a long way back," Button said.
"It is a big team, it is a team that has won multiple world championships, so they will find a way back.
"But it's going to take a little bit of time, I think.

"He [Sainz] needs to understand, I guess, that it's going to take a few years of working hard and making himself feel present and making his opinion count, and hopefully moving the car forward."
Button also said that Sainz will have big shoes to fill in replacing his two-time world champion compatriot.
"Obviously Fernando's retired, and he knows what he's doing, and he's getting the best out of the car pretty much every weekend.
"So it's always going to be a hard act to follow. But they wouldn't have chosen him [Sainz] if they didn't think he was worthy."

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 4 users Like PapaofGags's post

I think Button in his comment is right in almost everything. I only have my doubts about "It is a big team, it is a team that has won multiple world championships, so they will find a way back".
Yes it is a big team, but do they still have the quality of the days when they won those championships? Do they still have the people that made the difference?

Poor Saintz. Good driver, but it seems he keeps ending up with even better teammates. Maybe now he can beat Vandoorne, think they are evenly matched (Saintz might be a bit better at moments, Vandoorne seems to 'lost his mojo').
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sainz...t/4301628/

Carlos Sainz is to drive a McLaren Formula 1 car for the first time at next week’s Abu Dhabi Pirelli tyre test.

The Spaniard has been released by Renault to get his first experience of the MCL33 on Wednesday, while his 2019 teammate Lando Norris will drive on Tuesday.

Other drivers who will sample the cars of their future teams for the first time include George Russell (Williams) and Lance Stroll (Racing Point Force India).

Kimi Raikkonen is expected to be allowed to drive for Sauber, although it has yet to be confirmed. However, Red Bull has made it clear that Daniel Ricciardo will not be allowed to drive for Renault.

In less contentious moves, Charles Leclerc will drive for Ferrari, Robert Kubica will share the Williams with Russell, and Pierre Gasly will become an official Red Bull driver for the first time.

The test is the final opportunity for Pirelli to sign off on its 2019 spec tyres, with all teams having the chance to try them. Teams are not allowed to try new car parts at the test.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Marko: No regrets over Sainz exit as he's "no Verstappen"  (Motorsport)  Helmut being Helmut....  Rolleyes

Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko says he has no regrets about letting Carlos Sainz part ways with the energy drink giant, as he does not rate Sainz as highly as Max Verstappen.

Asked whether he'd regretted that Sainz was allowed to leave, Marko told Motorsport.com: "No. Sainz was comforted with one Max Verstappen [at Toro Rosso], and later we had to choose which one of the two to promote [to the main team in 2016].

"And when you get right down to it - Carlos is quick, we would not have signed him otherwise, but he is no Verstappen.
"We helped Carlos with his career and we didn't have to let him go. But we allowed the move to Renault and then to McLaren.

"We have a good relationship, but at that moment there was a Verstappen there, and there's a [performance] difference between the two"

It is known that Sainz and Verstappen did not enjoy the most harmonious relationship during their time as teammates at Toro Rosso, which may have contributed to him being overlooked in favour of Gasly for the 2019 season.

Marko had also been previously critical of the role Sainz's father, World Rally and Dakar champion Carlos Sainz, had played in his son becoming unsettled at Toro Rosso back in 2017.

But asked whether the factor Sainz's 'political' father had played a part in the decision to release him, Marko said: "I wouldn't say he has a political father, rather one of those motorsport fathers who doesn't look at it objectively - which is understandable - and just always does what he thinks is best for his son.

"But it's not an isolated case, and by far not the worst."

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Actually considering the source that is almost complimentary of Sainz!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

‘Sainz will have no problem being No.2’     Shutup    Dodgy

Carlos Sainz was willing to accept what Sebastian Vettel would not, being number two at Ferrari, says Bernie Ecclestone.

Although the 89-year-old acknowledges that Sainz is a talented driver, he feels the Spaniard will be “number two” and happy with that role.

“Sainz suddenly grows up to be a very competitive driver,” the former F1 chief told Bild, “He is also very talented.

“He would be easy for the team to handle.

“At Ferrari he will be number two but he would have no problem being number two at Ferrari.”

Not convinced Carlos will see it this way lol  Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(16-05-2020, 12:29 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  ‘Sainz will have no problem being No.2’     Shutup    Dodgy

Carlos Sainz was willing to accept what Sebastian Vettel would not, being number two at Ferrari, says Bernie Ecclestone.

Although the 89-year-old acknowledges that Sainz is a talented driver, he feels the Spaniard will be “number two” and happy with that role.

“Sainz suddenly grows up to be a very competitive driver,” the former F1 chief told Bild, “He is also very talented.

“He would be easy for the team to handle.

“At Ferrari he will be number two but he would have no problem being number two at Ferrari.”

Not convinced Carlos will see it this way lol  Rolleyes

Yeah that is a interesting aspect of this new deal. I don't see Saintz as the type of number two driver (and I am not sure if Leclerc is so much faster than Saintz), but on the other hand I don't see Ferrari as the type of team that lets their drivers race each other. Ferrari always has a number one and number two driver. And Ecclestone still knows a lot about the sport and what is happening. So maybe it is true, maybe Saintz is willing a number two role just to get a seat in a red car. We will see.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

Carlos Sainz believes Formula 1 lacks a fear factor and has called for the return of gravel and grass run-offs.

Despite acknowledging safety must always be F1's primary concern, McLaren driver Sainz lamented the swathes of asphalt run-off that have replaced gravel and grass equivalents over the past two decades.

“The feeling of risk and risk-reward is not good enough in these modern circuits," said the McLaren driver.

"Even though safety is primary, I still think there is a compromise to be found with tarmac run-off areas."

Good on you Carlos, think this (track limits) might be one of the few things we all agree on.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(30-08-2020, 01:09 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Carlos Sainz believes Formula 1 lacks a fear factor and has called for the return of gravel and grass run-offs.

Despite acknowledging safety must always be F1's primary concern, McLaren driver Sainz lamented the swathes of asphalt run-off that have replaced gravel and grass equivalents over the past two decades.

“The feeling of risk and risk-reward is not good enough in these modern circuits," said the McLaren driver.

"Even though safety is primary, I still think there is a compromise to be found with tarmac run-off areas."

Good on you Carlos, think this (track limits) might be one of the few things we all agree on.

He is right, or at least I agree.

Talking about Saintz; by now, how much is he regretting signing that Ferrari contract? Ricciardo must feel he dodged a bullet...
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

(30-08-2020, 01:18 PM)Antilochos Wrote:  Talking about Saintz; by now, how much is he regretting signing that Ferrari contract? Ricciardo must feel he dodged a bullet...

Every driver wants to get in a Ferrari though. They might be poor this year and next but from 2022 I would expect them to be competitive again. Whether they are competitive enough remains to be seen.
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post