Legends of F1

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/legen...l/4324985/

Lauda released from hospital.

Niki Lauda has been released from hospital in Vienna, after being admitted earlier this year following a flu-like infection.

The three-time World Champion, who is a non-executive chairman of Mercedes, had been taken ill while on a family holiday in Ibiza over the Christmas period.

He was admitted to the AKH hospital in Vienna, where he had undergone a lung transplant last summer, so he could be observed closely to ensure there were no further complications.

With his condition having improved, Walter Klepetko, head of the thoracic department at AKH, confirmed to Austrian news agency APA that Lauda had been given the all clear to leave hospital.

Klepetko emphasised that at no point did the flu infection pose a risk to Lauda’s life, and said that artificial respiration had not been necessary either. Lauda's admission to intensive care was necessary only to ensure that his weakened immune system could be monitored more closely.

Lauda missed the final races of the 2018 season as he recovered from his lung operation, and it is unclear yet if he will be able to join Mercedes for the 2019 season opener in Australia on March 17.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

The great Gilles Villeneuve...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1086274671132106754

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli

(18-01-2019, 05:14 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  The great Gilles Villeneuve...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1086274671132106754

Brilliant!

No vision.
No grip.
No surrender.
No problem.

&  Still seriously on it Haha, that guy was so very special
, as you say Forza "The great Gilles Villeneuve"

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Alfa Romeo: Schumacher an option for in-season F1 tests.

He’s long been tipped for the top, but it’s emerged Mick Schumacher could make his Formula 1 test debut as early as Bahrain. The 19-year-old German, son of seven-time F1 champion Michael, is a member of the Ferrari Driver Academy and the reigning European F3 champion. This season he’ll step up to Formula 2 with Prema, making him an ideal candidate to participate in one of F1 young driver tests.

There are two in-season tests per year, with the two-day sessions taking place on the Tuesday and Wednesday in Bahrain and Spain after their respective Grands Prix.

The rules state teams must run young drivers – classed as someone who has competed in two or fewer Grands Prix - during two of the four days.

Alfa Romeo are discussing their options, in tandem with close partners Ferrari, for the tests.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

The career of Michael Schumacher is to be celebrated at the Goodwood Festival of Speed on July 4-7.

The overall theme of this year's event is "Speed Kings – Motorsport's Record Breakers," and Schumacher has been chosen to celebrate both his 50th birthday in January and to mark the 25th anniversary of his first world championship, earned with Benetton in 1994.

Goodwood says that "his famous cars, family, friends, teammates and former rivals" will be present for the event.
Schumacher's former title rivals Mika Hakkinen and Damon Hill will be among those taking part, with the latter expected to drive one of the seven-time world champion's cars.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to Sir Frank Williams who celebrates his 77th Birthday today....& here`s hoping his Birthday present from Claire is her resignation letter  Tongue 

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

25 years ago today we lost Roland Ratzenberger during qualifying @ Imola, tomorrow also marks the death of one of the biggest names in our sport Ayrton Senna  #RIP

[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

Seems like yesterday. RIP Roland and Ayrton.

F1 will never be completely safe, but that weekend in 94 has gone a long way to making it a lot safer.

https://m.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/the-...r-20190430
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

R.I.P Ayrton & Roland.

Much was always made of Senna’s occasional references to his religious beliefs, and a perceived aura of spirituality certainly marked him out from the general run of grand prix drivers. No one would have expected James Hunt or Nigel Mansell to say something like “If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear.”

Senna gave the impression that although he had definitely been put on earth to race, he was also involved in a search for a higher purpose.

But he was neither martyr nor saint. Within his sport he was a man motivated by personal ambition, with a weapons-grade sense of entitlement that made him capable, for example, of taking revenge on Alain Prost by running the Frenchman off the road at Suzuka in 1990 with a cold-blooded and potentially lethal ruthlessness.

Importing the tactics of the kart track to Formula One, he changed the rules of engagement in a sport whose drivers, although always ferociously competitive, had generally treated each other with chivalry.

Away from the track, on the other hand, Senna tried to do good. He gave millions to charity, and a family-run foundation continues his work of educating poor children in Brazil.

All of which goes to show that not much in life, even the character of a racing driver, is as straightforward as we might wish it to be.

Memory's not a strong point but I think Morini said:

"There was something special about the man, he had an aura inside & outside of the car"

I agree with every word, special indeed.

Remembering Senna on Sky Sports.

Sky Sports F1 is re-airing four special Senna features, first shown in 2014, which will run on the channel from Wednesday in tribute to the Brazilian great:

Senna: Journalists Special.

F1 legend Murray Walker plus leading journalists Maurice Hamilton and David Tremayne join Simon Lazenby to look back over the Brazilian's legendary career.
Wednesday: 11am, 2.45pm
Thursday: 10.10pm
Friday: 8pm

Prost on Senna.

Alain Prost, Senna's most famous rival and former team-mate, speaks candidly about his relationship with the Brazilian.
Wednesday: 12pm, 5.30pm
Thursday: 11.10pm

The Last Team-Mate.

Damon Hill and David Brabham, Senna and Ratzenberger's respective team-mates for 1994, return to Imola to relive F1's fateful weekend.
Wednesday: 12.30pm, 3.45pm, 10pm
Thursday: 8pm

Ted's Senna Notebook.

A Notebook special from the McLaren Technology Centre, as Ted Kravitz wanders around all six of Senna's McLaren cars from 1988 to 1993 - including his three title-winning challengers.
Wednesday: 1.30pm, 8pm, 11.30pm
Thursday: 6.35pm, 9.30pm