Alonso to leave f1

Fernando Alonso set to sign with Renault F1 team from 2021 season.  (Full story Autosport)

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso is set to make a sensational return to Renault, with a two-year deal expected to be announced as early as Wednesday.

Alonso raced for Renault in 2003-06, winning the F1 world championship in the last two seasons, before returning to the team in 2008-09.
While much has changed at Renault over the past decade there are still many people at Enstone who know him well from his previous stints with the team, including veteran sporting director Alan Permane.

He will also be reunited with current Renault technical director Pat Fry, with whom he worked with at both McLaren and Ferrari.
With Daniel Ricciardo leaving Renault at the end of the season to join McLaren, following Carlos Sainz Jr's move to Ferrari to replace Sebastian Vettel, Renault had been assessing its options to partner Esteban Ocon for 2021.

Last week team boss Cyril Abiteboul confirmed that Renault had been talking to "big names", although he declined to elaborate on the prospects for Alonso.

"We need a quick driver, and we need a driver that can understand and buy into Renault's project," he said.

Morini's gonna be Soo pleased....  Wink

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(07-07-2020, 05:13 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Fernando Alonso set to sign with Renault F1 team from 2021 season.

FFS Paps! Morini`s heart rate is only getting back to normal today after Sat/Sundays escapades and you go and drop this news on him  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(07-07-2020, 05:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(07-07-2020, 05:13 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Fernando Alonso set to sign with Renault F1 team from 2021 season.

FFS Paps! Morini`s heart rate is only getting back to normal today after Sat/Sundays escapades and you go and drop this news on him  Tongue

Haha, Just imagine if he had signed for Horner & Red Bull...……   Bomb       Laughing

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(07-07-2020, 05:13 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Fernando Alonso set to sign with Renault F1 team from 2021 season.  (Full story Autosport)

Two-time Formula 1 world champion Fernando Alonso is set to make a sensational return to Renault, with a two-year deal expected to be announced as early as Wednesday.

Morini's gonna be Soo pleased....  Wink

(07-07-2020, 05:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  FFS Paps! Morini`s heart rate is only getting back to normal today after Sat/Sundays escapades and you go and drop this news on him  Tongue

Yeah, this flashed up on my phone from BBC sport website I was out walking earlier. Doesn't particularly surprise me, though I'd certainly prefer to see that seat go to a younger more deserving driver. If he's happy schlepping around in the midfield then good for him, but what happened to his made up "grand Slam" that nobody cares about? Basically showing the world that F1 is still the pinnacle of world motorsport and his Grand Slam means nothing.

How many drivers have had a break from F1 then come back and gone on to be successful? Erm..., I can't think of any. Glass half full, at least we've had a few years without having to listen to him whinge. Nothing last forever.
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(07-07-2020, 08:26 PM)morini Wrote:   but what happened to his made up "grand Slam" that nobody cares about? 

He`s still going for it this year (if covid doesnt put a stop to Indy).....can post up a pic of his new car & colour scheme if you like?  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(07-07-2020, 09:36 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  He`s still going for it this year (if covid doesnt put a stop to Indy).....can post up a pic of his new car & colour scheme if you like?  Tongue

Sure, I don't mind you wasting pixels Big Grin

[edit]
Perhaps this "news" should go it a "Alonso returns to F1" thread? Then we can re-open this one when he leaves again Laughing
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(07-07-2020, 11:34 PM)morini Wrote:  
(07-07-2020, 09:36 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  can post up a pic of his new car & colour scheme if you like?  Tongue
Perhaps this "news" should go it a "Alonso returns to F1" thread? Then we can re-open this one when he leaves again Laughing

Haha.....   made me laugh lads    Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Anyone hearing/reading rumours of an announcement coming Thursday (tomorrow)......apparently bigger than the Alonso news?....could be a load of old tosh tbf.

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(08-07-2020, 10:59 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Anyone hearing/reading rumours of an announcement coming Thursday (tomorrow)......apparently bigger than the Alonso news?....could be a load of old tosh tbf.

Do you mean Otmars bit on Aston Martin not ruling out Vettel? Tht is the only thing which came up on my news feed this morning. Apart from that I ain't heard nuffink!
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(08-07-2020, 11:16 AM)morini Wrote:  Do you mean Otmars bit on Aston Martin not ruling out Vettel? Tht is the only thing which came up on my news feed this morning. Apart from that I ain't heard nuffink!

Ive no idea what it is, yeah I read all the Aston stuff, most of these rumours are coming out of German outlets or should say people associated with them.....not long to wait and find out if its all bs.

So its official now

[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post