Barton's Banter Midterm Report

The driver's

Lewis Hamilton 9 out of 10

It all started so well for Lewis in Australia, robbed of an easy win by a VSC he really didn't put a foot wrong. A gearbox change for Bahrain hampered him, but China was a proper blip in form, probably his only one. He wasn't quite back to his best in Baku, However, despite this he kept himself in touch and was there to pick up the pieces when other had bad luck, or threw it all away with stupid moves on cold breaks and cold tyres. Was superb in Spain, minimised the damage in both Monaco and Canada and was untouchable again in France. Austria brought his first DNF in a stupidly long time after a fuel pump issue first caused him to slow while comfortably leading and ultimately retire. That it was such a shock is a testament to the reliability he has enjoyed. Rapid back in Silverstone while being tagged into turn 3 should've ruined his chances of racing for the win, he managed to fight all the way back to second place. More mechanical issues in Germany on Saturday, but come Sunday he drove out of his skin, and in changeable conditions was lapping at times 2 to 3 seconds quicker than anyone else. In Hungary he should have been nowhere, but in the rain he was a cut above, I was there, I saw it, he is the rain master, and on Sunday he finished the job off in some style and with ease. He still has not reached his post 2017 summer break levels, but not far off.

Vettel 7.5 out of 10

He started sluggish in Australia, at the start of the season it looked like Kimi was going to be the title contender. Still he lucked into a win and it seemed to wake him up. He was fantastic in Bahrain and robbed in China. Baku everything was going well and like Lewis in Australia an unfortunate Safety Car sort of ruined things for him. However, it was his silly lunge on Bottas that did more damage. Nowhere in Spain, partly due to the car, but also due to being out of sorts, Kimi once again looked the quicker Ferrari driver. Frustrated in Monaco, but wisely playing percentages, brilliant in Canada, but silly again in France. Better in Austria and Silverstone and there to gobble up the points others let get away... then came Germany. Up until Hockenheim you could argue it had ebbed and flowed between Lewis and Seb, but a stupid error pushing too hard in the wet gifted Lewis a 25 point swing. Painful. In Hungary he looked bad in the wet, and even on fresh tyres when the rain was easing up he couldn't match Lewis' times... plural... goes into the summer break still in touch but with questions to answer. He definitely has the car, the reason he doesn't have the title lead is all him 

Räikkönen 6.5 out of 10 

Not the Kimi of old. There have been flashes of that Kimi in Australia, China, Austria and France. But it has been a frustrating time for Kimi. While Seb's car seems bulletproof, his has been beset by gremlins. At times he's seemed disinterested (Canada) at others openly frustrated at clearly being a number 2 (Germany). Rumours of a contract extension seem cruel, I think his time in F1 should come to an end, it's sad seeing Kimi reduced to Seb's wingman. Just put him out of his misery Ferrari 

Bottas 8 out of 10

The unluckiest man in the paddock. He let himself down in Australia pushing too hard in Qualifying, but since then has acquitted himself relatively well. He bottled a last lap move on Seb in Bahrain, was robbed cruelly in Baku and has seen many a golden opportunities to challenge for wins buggered or evaporate through no fault of his own... Hungary seemed to sum his season up. So much effort, skill and graft for little reward and still not quite good enough to match his team mate. With a tight title fight, and despite some hastey post race "clarification"... he's surely Hamilton's wingman now.

Ricciardo 7.5 out of 10

Supposedly still in with a shot of the title, but he's fifth in the Championship behind Mercedes and Ferrari's number 2 drivers and really with no hope on hell of winning the WDC. He's had lucky drives (China being a great example) and great gutsy performances worthy of a title contender (Monaco), but he's still being out qualified by his team mate, and despite all the overtakes he's had some lackluster weekends. However, it must be difficult to stay motivated when your car breaks down if you so much as look at it. 

Verstappen 7 out of 10

We might all have forgotten Verstappen's calamitous start to the season, given his performances from France onwards have generally been really good. But, going off track multiple times in Australia, spinning during the race was followed up by a clumsy move on Hamilton in Bahrain, an even clumsier move on Seb in China and multiple illegal and dangerous moves on his team mate in Baku that eventuay put both of them out of the race, although not fully to blame, he still should shoulder the lion's share. Then there was Monaco, a race Red Bull should have had one-two at. He stuck it in the wall. Still he's learned from it and is seemingly more composed now... however, like his team mate his car is a wreck.

Hulkenberg 8 out of 10

Best of the rest, he's had mechanical problems and one scruffy race in Baku, but Nico always seems ready to pick up the dropped points from others. There haven't been any stand out drives, but that's the way he is. He just does what he does with quiet efficiency. Never getting a drive for a Championship winning team though, but doing a solid job for Renault.

Magnussen 8 out of 10

Making Moanjean look obsolete, showing a great turn of pace, and apart from nearly sticking Gasly into the wall in Baku he's been much neater and tidier in his second season with Haas. Finally starting to look like he deserves to be in F1. Hope it continues in this way for him, mostly because if it does it might convince Haas to drop Moanjean.

Alonso 8.5 out of 10

He won Le Mans, and has managed to get his plank of a McLaren to 9th in the Championship, a car that is realistically only quicker currently than the God awful Williams. Given McLaren have seemingly given up on their 2018 car, it isn't a surprise to see at races like Germany Alonso literally going through the motions, and in Hungary seemingly uniterested. It's sad to see him in this state, and I personally think for his own sanity he needs to do something other than F1 next year. Still a great driver though.

Peréz 6 out of 10

It's slightly odd to see Peréz ahead of his team mate Ocon, even if it is only by 1 point. He is being comprehensively out qualified by his team mate this year, now he's got his feet under the table, and of the 9 races so far this year when both Force India's have finished, Ocon has beaten Peréz 7 times. Peréz did pick up a podium in Baku though, but has two fewer DNF's than his team mate. If the trend continues into the second half of the season he'll be in trouble. 

Sainz 6 out of 10

Being a bit left behind in Hulkenberg's shadow. Had a great qualifying in the wet at Hungary, but beyond that I don't remember him doing anything of note... and that's alarming. He is a talented young driver... who no longer gets mentioned in discussions about talented young drivers. He's at serious risk of sliding out of F1 and being consigned to the F1 scrap heap marked "not quite good enough".

Ocon 7.5 out of 10

He's out qualifying a well regarded Peréz comfortably, and out racing him too. Apart from a silly move in Baku (which ironically his team mate really benefitted from) he has driven very well again, but sadly has had way too many mechanical issues with his car, and was punted out of his home GP. Still, he's starting to look like the real deal.

Gasly 8 out of 10

The plucky little Frenchmen has impressed me. I didn't really rate him in the junior formula and failed to see what all the fuss was about. Obviously I had no idea what to look for! Was having a great weekend in Australia and sadly retired. A cracking drive in Bahrain netted him a well deserved fourth place. Another accomplished drive in Monaco got him a well deserved sixth, as did his drive in Hungary. His wet qualifying lap was something else. When his car hasn't exploded or Grosjean isn't taking him out he's either in the top 10 or knocking on the door. Impressive. Ricciardo should watch out.

Moanjean 5 out of 10

I've tried not being biased, I really really have, and I don't think I am being biased. He's currently driving the fourth best car on the grid. No question. So what is he doing down in 14th in the Championship? Well when he's not crashing into other drivers (11 collisions with other drivers this season) he invariably finds himself slipping backwards on race day, while his team mate excels. 4 DNFs 3 of which are his fault... he also has a knack for finding fellow Frenchmen on track. Not good enough, and he isn't half as good as he thinks he is.

Leclerc 8 out of 10

Schooling the awful, but seasoned Ericsson in the unfancied Sauber. He had a shakey start to his F1 career, but as the season has gone on he has just grown and grown as a driver. He deserves a move further up the grid. But to Haas or Ferrari? Or maybe stick at Sauber? Personally I say put him in at the deep end and see what he can do.

Vandorne 3 out of 10

Had his best race of the season in Hungary when he retired from 10th place. Sums up his season. Sure the McLaren is an utter dog... but he's not out qualified Alonso once, and he's rarely in the same ballpark. Looking lost and out of his depth sadly, and with the likes of De Vries and of course the very taly Norris waiting in the wings at McLaren, his days there seem numbered. Maybe Sauber will save him, but I'm not sure he's worth saving.

Ericsson 2 out of 10

How he is still in F1 is beyond me. He's only once beaten a team mate over a season in his 5 years in F1, that in 2014 while at Caterham when he beat Kobyashi, by virtue of a better reliability record. He was out qualified even then! Nasr beat him hands down in '15 and '16 out racing him and qualifying him, and Wehrlein beat him with two less races, hand me down parts and 4 more mechanical problems than him. He's utter shyte and needs to be gone. His stench fouls up the place.

Stroll 2 out of 10

Was out of his depth in his first season, but glimpses like Baku and qualifying in Monza fooled me into thinking there was promise. There isn't, and you can't polish a turd. Yeah sure, the Williams is an awful car, but truth is Lance is an awful driver in an awful car. None of us like pay drivers, we understand many are needed, but surely there are pay drivers out there with talent and cash!

Hartley 4 out of 10

I likely the lanky sod off the track, but on it he doesn't look like he belongs. Was great in WEC, but F1 seems a bit beyond him sadly. Too many crashes, too many silly mistakes, which would be fine if he was showing pace... but he isn't. Being shown up by Gasly. Won't be in F1 next season unless there's a miracle.

Sirotkin 5 out of 10

I think propping up the standings isn't quite a fair reflection of Sirotkin's efforts, or talent. He seems to be getting more out of the Williams than Stroll, and it's his first season in F1, and he has been dropped right in the deep end with an utterly pants car. I wouldn't begrudge him another season in F1... even though I have a sneaky suspicion he'll prove to not be good enough.

The Team's

Mercedes 8 out 10

Yeah, they're leading the constructors championship right now, and yeah, that'd equate to 5 years at the top of the sport if it ends that way, which would be impressive. However, the 2018 car has the hallmarks of stagnation, and strangely transition about it as they finally realise that perhaps their philosophy isn't the right one and have developed it throughout the season. There have also been poor pitwall decisions and oddly some unreliability issues, worst being the double DNF in Austria, a race they should have dominated. Still, if you can be a bit pants and still be on top you're doing something right, and they've still got a rapid car that gives their drivers the tools to fight. Some poor pitwall decisions this season though... very un-Mercedes like.

Ferrari 9 out of 10

I think they have the fastest car overall. Metrics say they've had the fastest car at 6 possibly 7 out of the 12 races this season and been second quickest in the other 5. While Mercedes have been quickest at 4 and Red Bull 1. Their reliability this year is much improved, true Kimi has had issues, but far fewer than Mercedes, and their pitwall calls have generally been much better this year than in 2017 where they made some howlers. Despite trailing in both championships I think they'll go into the summer break pretty pleased.

Red Bull 7.5 out of 10

That score generally speaking isn't the teams fault. Sure, Verstappen's antics early doors didn't exactly help with putting points on the board, but the biggest issue is that their engine is shyte and seemingly held together by string and sellotape. Fairly decent chassis though, although in Hungary it didn't look right. I think the rest of the season is going to be painful for them as Renault couldn't give a flying fuck about them. In limbo until they get those Honda power units... I just hope it works out for them.

Renault 7 out of 10

Best of the rest for now, and probably fifth or sixth quickest car overall. There are signs of steady improvement, but news Bob Bell is moving away from the day to day stuff and taking on an advisory role is a tad concerning. Still, there are clear signs of very steady improvement, and when they add new bits to their car they tend to work. It is though their drivers that deserve most of the credit for where they are, mainly Hulkenberg. If Moanjean wasn't a steaming pile of manure though Haas would probably be comfortably ahead of them by now.

Haas 8 out of 10

I thought their early form was a flash in the pan, and that as the development war went on they'd fall by the wayside. Like they have in their previous two seasons. They haven't. They're still the fourth quickest, and they are improving their car arguably at a quicker rate than the chasing pack. Yeah sure, there's a lot of Ferrari DNA in the car, but they still have to put it all together... Plus, if they had two F1 drivers instead of one they might actually be in with a shot of securing fourth.

Force India 6 out of 10

For a few seasons they've been comfortably fourth. They were always punching well above their weight,, and with budgets that place them right at the bottom of the sport. They've been run on a shoestring budget (the lowest in F1) for too long, and they've done well. This year it has been clear all is not well and their car has gone backwards. It's still essentially the 2017 car with a ho on top. Rumours are there was a 2018 car on the drawing board, but that they didn't have the  money to make it. Their saving grace has been Williams, McLaren and Toro Rosso have bigger problems right now with their cars. Hopefully somebody will save them, but it's a bit grim right now.

McLaren 3 out of 10

It was the engine what done it... right? No, it was the Boullier, Brown and utterly bobbins chassis and aero. For years they claimed it was Honda, and that their cars were awesome, last year it was the best Chassis on the grid according to Zak "I don't get F1" Brown. They were going to be dicing it out with Red Bull, getting podiums... they'd be getting the wooden spoon if it wasn't for a certain Spaniard. One of the biggest names in the sport are right now the second slowest team on the grid, and seemingly without direction. They need help. Such a great team brought low by a lack of leadership and hubris.

Toro Rosso 6 out of 10

The car isn't bad, and at some tracks like Bahrain and Hungary it has looked good... well... in Gasly's hands it's looked very good at times... not so much in Hartley's. Incorporating the Honda engine at short notice for such a small team was clearly a struggle for them, and the power and reliability of the Honda unit isn't great still, but they're slowly and quietly working on improving that together, and we are seeing improvement. This season has turned into one long R&D session for their parent team... losing James Key is a severe blow to them though.

Sauber 7 out of 10

It's amazing what a bit of Fiat cash and Ferrari technology (and staff) can do for a team. Much improved from the last few years, and seemingly keeping pace with the development wars. They might get even better in the second half of the season. Sauber moving in the right direction is good for the sport. If they didn't have to carry Ericsson they might be further up the table by now.

Williams 1 out of 10

Awful. Dire. Embarrassing. At least their car has four wheels... although if they're not careful those might come off soon too. Losing their title sponsors, and possibly more the finances look seriously grim. But... not as grim as the car! Who knows whether decent and talented drivers could have developed it, because their biggest mistake was hiring two talentless drivers with buckets of cash. Claire Williams must bear much of the responsibility for this omnishambles.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post

Lol, with that title I thought it was going to be about Banter members and performance report of the forums xD

Top stuff Jody!

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

Christ, you must have a lot of time on your hands! Don't have time to read all that (let alone argue with any of it). Will read again when I get home.

Well done for putting in the effort! Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Wow.. and I thought Brundle's ratings were dire what a complete load of.... LOL Just teasing Jody!!!!

Great article and from my point of view pretty accurate too.

This season has been a lot better than many scribes thought it would be especially in the midfield and the top two teams.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(02-08-2018, 10:55 AM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  Lol, with that title I thought it was going to be about Banter members and performance report of the forums xD

Top stuff Jody!

Lol that would get very messy!!!!
[+] 5 users Like LotusLover's post

The most irritating commentator in F1 has just put up his own version of a -> Mid Term Report

Interestingly, comments are not open on that article!
[+] 2 users Like morini's post

(06-08-2018, 10:14 AM)morini Wrote:  The most irritating commentator in F1 has just put up his own version of a -> Mid Term Report

Interestingly, comments are not open on that article!

What's Eddie Jordan doing writing for Sky!?

(Sorry Fog)

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 3 users Like Purple-banana's post

(06-08-2018, 11:26 AM)Purple-banana Wrote:  What's Eddie Jordan doing writing for Sky!?

(Sorry Fog)

Perhaps I should have said "joint equal most irritating F1 commentator".

Did anyone else heave at the way he worded Vettels report? Something along the lines of "nobody has more poles this year and as such he's bound to win it" (I'm paraphrasing). No, Mr Croft, nobody has more, but Hammy has as many. Muppet.

(06-08-2018, 03:15 PM)morini Wrote:  Did anyone else heave at the way he worded Vettels report? Something along the lines of "nobody has more poles this year and as such he's bound to win it" (I'm paraphrasing). No, Mr Croft, nobody has more, but Hammy has as many. Muppet.

I just wrote a thorough response to this and it vanished. Hmph.

No, I didn't read Crofty's report, and I mean no disrespect to Jody, but I haven't read his either. Ratings such as these are entirely subjective, can never paint the full picture and the law of averages almost guarantees they'll never match your own take on the season so far, or the particular race in question. Consequently the only possible outcome is disagreement at best, outright rage at worst. (Unless of course you are proactively canvassing for others' opinions.) I'll save myself the agro and associated increase in blood pressure by joining in the conversation but avoiding the parent article.

I have watched the races and followed the news, so I feel qualified enough to make my own judgement on who's done well, and who hasn't. And I doubt I'll offend anyone here by suggesting we are a stubborn bunch and aren't going to be swayed by a peer or discredited journo's own differing opinion.

Purple Banana (a.k.a John or JB  Smile )
"The flowers of victory belong in many vases." - Michael Schumacher
[+] 1 user Likes Purple-banana's post

(06-08-2018, 03:52 PM)Purple-banana Wrote:  I have watched the races and followed the news, so I feel qualified enough to make my own judgement on who's done well, and who hasn't. And I doubt I'll offend anyone here by suggesting we are a stubborn bunch and aren't going to be swayed by a peer or discredited journo's own differing opinion.

Interesting take on things. But for me part of the fun (and part of the reason for this place existing) is to disagree with you lot!

If you PM me specifics on what you did, when you did it I'm happy to investigate your response not getting posted properly.