Williams

(05-11-2018, 11:08 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Smedley said he has not decided on what he will do next . . .

Sounds like if he has no plans he was ousted, rather than his own decision, and while I remain optimistic for them, (though not a Williams fan), and try not to criticise too much, it is a family business, a rare thing in F1, that said, with some knowledge of this, I've often advised friends and others - "Never work with family", it's extremely rare that it pans out well.  The successful businesses, generally have family members who don't speak to each other.  And while Williams may still be a great company as a whole, with regards to F1 success, well, despite financial issues around fair distribution of wealth etc.  I think it's plain now that Clare, should be the one to go.  

I first thought this for sure after the "Williams" documentary, which was cringeworthy, and seemed to air the families dirty laundry, rather than a celebration of the team.  Would like to know more about Patrick Heads departure.  I think he saw the writing was on the wall.  But given how it is now, I see no way of getting Clare out, and she certainly doesn't seem like she's even remotely considering stepping down.

Pride, can be a terrible affliction, even if you think it's in the best interest, to keep the fathers legacy going.  Quite often the children who take over a parents business run it into the ground, and I think unfortunately, this is playing out before our eyes now

And while I also don't like the Sauber, Alfa deal, i.e., SF, B team, at least the name was kept, I hope the Sauber name stays in F1, even if not owned or controlled by Peter's family, at least the name remains, as a testament to what Peter Sauber created, much how I feel about Racing Point FI.  Yes the more well informed know it was Eddie Jordan, and EJ, said not long ago, that many of his original staff still work there, without the name above the door, many do not realise it.

Such a shame.  Fingers crossed for them though

Side note:  They "created" a role for him, after Massa's departure, one he hadn't done before, and instead of getting rid of this role, and giving him something he was more than capable of, as he'd shown at SF, with Massa, and at Williams themselves, they get rid of him?  

Stinks of poor, top down management IMO

And when that happens, it's the CEO, or top management which needs to go, not the staff,  Time to go Clare

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 4 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

The rumours are Smedley had opposed some of the senior managements team's decision over the past 2 seasons, and that he'd started to gather a little faction around him inside the team, and, well... we all know what happens to those who oppose Claire, they get the chop. Just don't think she's capable of running the team anymore. I so wanted her to succeed, but she can't take criticism, she can't listen to opposing views, she gets rid of them, I just don't think she understands leadership. A leaders job isn't to force obedience, but to listen and be fair to all views and choose what they think to be the best course of action.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/russe...d/3208774/

George Russell tried to land a 2018 Williams Formula 1 drive and made a PowerPoint presentation to aid his bid, the team's chief technical officer Paddy Lowe has revealed.

Russell has been confirmed at Williams for 2019 after impressing the team with his championship-leading Formula 2 campaign, Mercedes test outings and simulator work.

His off-track attitude has also made a significant early impression on the likes of Lowe and deputy team principal Claire Williams.

Lowe told Motorsport.com that Russell initially wanted to be considered for the 2018 drive that eventually went to Sergey Sirotkin.

“The thing about George is for a young guy he’s very confident," said Lowe.
“He takes the initiative to try and shape his future and I think that’s one of the reasons he’s got to where he has.
“As an example, last year he wanted to be in the running even to drive for 2018.
“I think it was a bit early. It’s good he’s done the year in F2, I think a year ago would have been too early for George to consider F1.

“He will be much stronger having done that year in F2, but he came to me a year ago with a PowerPoint presentation with why he was going to be our best driver.
“I’ve never received one of those before.”

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubic...9/4301134/

Kubica agrees 2019 Williams race deal.

Robert Kubica has agreed a deal to race for Williams in the 2019 Formula 1 season, Motorsport.com understands.

An announcement is expected early in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend.
Williams's decision to bring Kubica into its race team means he will make an incredible return to the F1 grid eight years after the rallying accident in Italy that left him with severe arm injuries and interrupted his racing career.

Motorsport.com learned earlier this month that Kubica had moved to the top of Williams's list for its remaining 2019 vacancy and was considering a firm offer from it to race again.

Kubica had originally appeared to be set for a 2018 Williams race seat.
He had first been in contention for a Renault drive after a series of summer tests, having begun to push harder for a shock F1 return following a previous motorsport comeback in rallying.

Kubica then moved into the frame at Williams when Renault elected not to proceed with him.
A 2018 Williams race deal appeared to be done, before a late change of plan meant Sergey Sirotkin was brought in alongside Lance Stroll instead and Kubica ended up in a test and reserve role.

That position has allowed Williams to get to know Kubica more and assess his contribution behind the scenes, across five days of testing and two GP Friday practice sessions.

Kubica has also attracted further sponsorship from his native Poland that he can bring to Williams.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(21-11-2018, 10:43 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Kubica agrees 2019 Williams race deal.

I know Im in the minority on this and awaiting all the usual negative remarks, whining and bitching, but I look forward to see RK back in the car every race weekend.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(21-11-2018, 11:17 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(21-11-2018, 10:43 AM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Kubica agrees 2019 Williams race deal.

I know Im in the minority on this and awaiting all the usual negative remarks, whining and bitching, but I look forward to see RK back in the car every race weekend.

Yeah I'm happy to be in the minority, very happy to see RK back, one of life's *what ifs*     

Young George said he wanted a good yard stick as a team mate, well he's got one in Robert.     Winkblink

(Still feel for Ocon though)

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

This is a good comeback story, hitting fans right in the nostalgia balls, but I'm in the "worried" party. Purely based on onboard shots seen from my sofa created some unease at his level of movement and control in the cockpit. I'm not not saying he's not quick anymore, only Williams and Renault know that (was it Renault he originally tested with? some other team anyway). It is a great story for handicapped/handiable, which ever PC culture is dictating we use now. I do wish him and Williams all the best. Here's hoping Williams isnt such a dog to drive next year, I'd probably be less worried if he slotted into the planted top teams, lol.

Is Ocon to be the reserve driver? or are they keeping Sirotkin? Either way, I think we'll see the reserve driver replace Robert on a few occasions in 2019.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 2 users Like Monster Hesh's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/georg...e/4301455/ (Video 12m 2s)

New Williams Formula 1 signing George Russell has explained some of the details that he put in the Microsoft PowerPoint presentation he made in a bid to impress the team.

Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe revealed earlier this month that Formula 2 points leader Russell had pushed to land a race seat with the team a year ago, which included making a presentation about what he could offer if he was signed.

Speaking in an exclusive interview filmed at Motorsport.com’s UK offices, Russell explained that his motivation was to approach his pitch for a drive “from a different angle” to get Williams’s attention.

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

(21-11-2018, 12:28 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  This is a good comeback story, . . . was it Renault he originally tested with? . . . handicapped, which ever PC culture is dictating we use now.

. . . Either way, I think we'll see the reserve driver replace Robert on a few occasions in 2019.

"PC culture" for a PC generation. I'd have been more worried if these car were the physical beasts of old, to handle, pun intended.

Yep it was Renault, he got the first test, but again, there were complex deals, going on with Renault and RBR at the time, not that I know of any inside deals, but, there was the Sainz swap, who has now ended up at, McLaren / Renault. Make of that what you will, while Merc driver Ocon, remains without a seat. Think Merc have shot themselves in the foot a bit, on this.

Can Williams make a step forward? Yes, IMO, rather than just having rookies.

And I disagree Hesh, knowing Robert as I do, (just talked to him last night) LOL Smile

I can't see him, signing for a season, with the slightest doubt, that he wasn't capable of competing in every race. If that were the case, it would be a very sad reflection, on Williams.

But to be honest, after all the speculation, I was floored by this news, Awesome comeback Robert, to the "pinnacle" of Motorsport.

As I've said before, even a crap F1 team, is an awesome place to be. More power to you Robert Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 3 users Like Foghorn Leghorn's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sirot...e/4301702/

Williams' poor level led to Sirotkin exit, backer SMP claims.

Outgoing Williams Formula 1 driver Sergey Sirotkin's backer SMP Racing has claimed it took the decision to split with the Grove-based team, citing poor performance and development rate as the reason.

Sirotkin, who made his grand prix debut with Williams this year, was confirmed to be leaving the team when it announced Robert Kubica as teammate to the previously-unveiled George Russell on Thursday.

“We took the decision not to continue participating in the Formula 1 world championship in the joint project with the Williams Martini Racing team,” said SMP Racing chief Boris Rotenberg in a statement.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubic...t/4301654/

Williams announces Kubica as race driver for 2019.

Robert Kubica's Formula 1 race return with the Williams for the 2019 season has been confirmed.

As reported by Motorsport.com,

Kubica, who says he now drives "70%" left-handed, has not raced a single-seater since the last of his 76 grand prix starts.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post