Graphics (again)

Missed some of the fun, the last couple of days, but did see Ian, wanted to drag me down to his level again, he has no shame  Smile

But, just wanted to ask, the old farts, and the gamers, I've been unsure of the new graphics from the start, and didn't want to comment on it too much.  But I've recently, watched quite a few "historic" races, as they call them, and the graphics, seemed to be, next to none.  I know it's a bit of an old one, but are you's guys complaining sure, that, you don't like the new graphics?  Or do you just not like change?

I actually liked what they did with the Halo graphic - it means we get the info, and don't have to look at the halo.

And too much info, on screen, distracts me from watching the actual racing sometimes.  My point is, is it crap? Or is it just different from what you are used to?

Not saying it's great, by any means, just can't think of when it was - so much better or worse Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 

(28-07-2018, 08:19 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  Missed some of the fun, the last couple of days, but did see Ian, wanted to drag me down to his level again, he has no shame  Smile

But, just wanted to ask, the old farts, and the gamers, I've been unsure of the new graphics from the start, and didn't want to comment on it too much.  But I've recently, watched quite a few "historic" races, as they call them, and the graphics, seemed to be, next to none.  I know it's a bit of an old one, but are you's guys complaining sure, that, you don't like the new graphics?  Or do you just not like change?

I actually liked what they did with the Halo graphic - it means we get the info, and don't have to look at the halo.

And too much info, on screen, distracts me from watching the actual racing sometimes.  My point is, is it crap? Or is it just different from what you are used to?

Not saying it's great, by any means, just can't think of when it was - so much better or worse Smile

Erm… I actually am not bothered by the graphics like you say it kind of distracts from the Halo, so with you there mate, just so I am on the right track are we on about the SSF1 graphics cos you mentioned games and I don't play much anymore, we could start a F1 league on the new game and kick Morinis ass for him to tell us its the "car" (that would be so ironic lol)
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

(27-07-2018, 09:30 PM)IanF69 Wrote:  Erm… I actually am not bothered by the graphics like you say it kind of distracts from the Halo, so with you there mate, just so I am on the right track are we on about the SSF1 graphics cos you mentioned games and I don't play much anymore, we could start a F1 league on the new game and kick Morinis ass for him to tell us its the "car" (that would be so ironic lol)

I was never a hardcore gamer, my only, notable exceptions, being, "rome" total war and "worms" - never, played online, myself, just some, stoner games with mates Smile

"I Say, I say . . . . The satisfaction you have in a few minutes when you become champion. It's enough to live forever 
[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

(28-07-2018, 08:35 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(27-07-2018, 09:30 PM)IanF69 Wrote:  Erm… I actually am not bothered by the graphics like you say it kind of distracts from the Halo, so with you there mate, just so I am on the right track are we on about the SSF1 graphics cos you mentioned games and I don't play much anymore, we could start a F1 league on the new game and kick Morinis ass for him to tell us its the "car" (that would be so ironic lol)

I was never a hardcore gamer, my only, notable exceptions, being, "rome" total war and "worms" - never, played online, myself, just some, stoner games with mates Smile

Ah Rome total war I wasted many many hours of my life on that one lol
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

One of my many "blog" on F1 Fan Voice, this was posted a few months ago. So no hatred for the Augmented Reality graphics mentioned.

F1’s Great Information Censorship.

Fans need better access to the wealth of information F1 has.
For a sport that has enough numbers to fill a small continent, fans are left starved of even the basics. In a world where accessibility is key to interest, F1, FOM and FIA are performing admirably in hiding information, with their unrivalled restriction in the sporting world. Coupled with the poorest presentation of the sport since the dawn of the digital age.

F1 branding and digital platforms presentation has been overhauled. This overhaul brought many flaws and no improvements, leading to it even harder to follow the sport in its basic form, let alone get a little bit more detailed information.

One could not be more disappointed when looking for results. The official website for practice sessions show classification only, we are lucky to get a bit more info for qualifying and race, but still very limited.

Information for F1 practice sessions, the best part of the weekend, needs to be seriously overhauled. Fans follow free practice to start speculation for the weekend by analysing all the info they can get their hands on. F1 official outlets supply’s then with nothing, in it’s current format.

Where is the wealth of information that this sport gushes? It feels like a fan has to go to the dark web to find even the slightest but more information from a session. A little more detail is found over on the FIA website, why? Even then it’s impossible to navigate to, and then you have to download a file to view the info. Such an awful service.

F1 needs to follow MotoGP website result section. There is a great deal of timing and session information, that is easy to find and access. Classification, lap analysis which shows every lap time INCLUDING sector times, for every lap completed in a session. All speed trap figures, all fastest lap sequences, tyre usage, even the weather for any session. All viewable within the site, no downloads necessary.

The Portal’s.

The official website has never been on point, yet it managed to regress. One of the worst font tyre in history has been used, one that is a struggle to read, that is too wide. It’s layout is slow, cumbersome and poor to navigate. While causing eyestrain with its overkill use of white (like all medias current trend, to ensure humans are blind in two years).

Leading onto the dire TV graphics. That have all the hallmarks of being untested, with no user group input. The presentation of the sport having a general trend of being vague, obtrusive and at times irrelevant or inaccurate, if it isn’t malfunctioning. It’s a portal into the sport and is critical.

• The font has infected all corners, due to its bad design, being too wide, is causing graphics to be ugly and obtrusive.
  • Massive amount of information missing from the timing tower, we were lucky to have times displayed. Especially during practice sessions, as those that watch these want a wealth of information. Times, tyres, run number, pit/track status.
  • Timing tower should never be off the screen.
  • As soon as a time is posted, there is no need to show full names with manufacture logo’s, it brings nothing informative or important to the show.
  • It’s hard to differentiate the on track name highlight and in pits name dullness. Needs a clear indicator a “P” or name/number in black or in red.
  • No tyre info. Tyre info with number of laps completed with said tyre set. Just like MotoGP have added this year.
  • Run number would also be nice, just like MotoGP.
  • Real time lap time at the bottom of the screen was very obnoxious, mainly due to the new font and box size. As well has displaying the sessions fastest lap in the same box, isn’t needed.
  • Actual sector times need to be on the real time timer, instead of just “S1 S2 S3” and the corresponding sector colour at the bottom.
  • More live timings needed at bottom of screen during practice sessions. It was always one at a time.
  • The qualifying “Driver in danger” was hilarious, So over dramatic. ’Muerica. I found it confusing though as it had a red line at the top of the “Driver in danger” so, to me, that meant the driver was in drop zone. that line needs to indicate the actual drop zone, like it used to, coupled with the red numbered positions.
  • Telemetry, needs an off board graphic like there used to have. Nice compact, none obtrusive, very informative circular graphic in the corner. The onbaord Halo is ok, but due to different camera angles on some cars it doesn’t work and is too obtrusive. See. IMG.2
  • Brake indicator for telemetry, there is no way drivers are 100% on the brakes every time they press the pedal. It needs to be dynamic like the throttle application display.
  • Tyre symbols are hideous, Why the gaps in the circle? Use the previous symbols, bold colour and form. Full colour for new tyres, grey out centres for used tyres.
  • “Driver in danger” box in confusing due to a simple redline. The redline should be at the bottom of the box. It indicates the cut off for the drop zone. Having it located above the box confuses the viewer.
  • See IMG.1 for a vastly improved timing tower. With all the important info, displayed and easy to read.
The Pre and Post Game. Intro too long, and uninspiring, both audibly and visually. Nothing iconic about the F1 theme tune at all, rid of it next year and it wouldn’t be missed. As F1 is about to be locked out behind paywalls. Use Fleetwood Mac – The Chain, that has been iconic for British audiences, and is truly perfect for the sport.

At least they didn’t play music during the race. Which was a very believable vicious rumour going around before the start of the season. Indy car do it and it’s awful.
If podium interviews weren’t awkward enough. Post session track interviews took it too another level, becoming impossible to watch. Drivers, haven’t even set foot on the ground and a mic is rammed into their face. It needs to change, delay the interviews for a couple of minutes, let the drivers de-rig and settle a little. Then they can engage fully for the benefit of the fans. Vettel has realised how awful they are and is successfully avoiding them.

What’s really funny is how these things are an issue. compared to MotoGP there are no complaints, I only have praise, because it’s getting better and better, both online and on TV. Clear, easy to read and fully understand, supplying fans with a feast of information. While the presentation is a joy to watch and has zero cringe level, compared to F1.
IMG.1
[Image: F1_TV_graphics.gif?1527692780]

IMG.2
[Image: F1_telemetry_off_board.jpg?1527693603]

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(28-07-2018, 08:19 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  I actually liked what they did with the Halo graphic -   My point is, is it crap? 

Halo graphic? Hmm the powers that be gave us the flip flop & then some muppet thought it would be a good idea to put graphics on it, you really couldn't make it up, < my view rant over.

Rome total war lol, so many flap jack hours playing that game, good stoners game.     Cool

Edit just read Hesh's post, makes much more sense than mine.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

Have some more.

MotoGP and Dorna seem to fully understand what fans want to know during every session of MotoGP. For those tech enthusiast a wealth of information displayed, without imposing, obstructing or distracting from the sport. Simple critical information always displayed for the general viewers of the sport. Plus, they keep delivering, every weekend the bring an update to their TV presentation which is just outstanding, real time, effort and user upstanding has gone into its design. The complete opposite of what the F1 presentation and graphics provide.

This weekend at the Dutch GP, MotoGP introduced their version of a HUD graphics for telemetry on an board shot. WOW did it deliver. Some may say “Yeah, but F1 did it first”, but what MotoGP delivered was is leagues ahead in both quality AND quantity.

It’s design was so much more slicker, neat, cleaner and more refined. With it, as usual with MotoGP offerings, was a wealth of info. It has everything on it: Speed, gear, RPM, lean angle, dynamic analogue % read out of BOTH brake and throttle, mini map, and it was all perfectly synced with camera.

F1 Halo graphics is no where near MotoGP screen graphic calibre.

After the BritishGP

Cheapening the Multi-Billion Sporting Show.
The interviews are just another thing adding to the very very long list of aspects making a joke of the show, that is all to do with presentation and publication of the sport. What are the 90’s CGI augmented reality all about, I vomit blood when ever its on screen. It amazing they are still pressing on with, they don’t add anything, no info, no style, nothing. This week we got a hideous “F1” logo on Club Corner with a badly imposed picture of the the leader, wow, thanks, so informative. We got a shaky, flickering, flickering! why on earth was it flickering? faulty render farm? showing what, what was it showing? it was so irrelevant I can’t even remember.

I mean are they even spending more than £50 on the graphics. It’s 2018, near perfect realism is easily achievable. If they improved the quality, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Though it would still make a mockery of the show, and how they think the “pinnacle of spot” the fastest cars on the planet need CGI and bad quality CGI in their show concludes Liberty MEDIA have no idea, and the way this sport will be presented in the future is only doomed.

Next up Germany, Ferrari and home favourite Vettel will really want to slam the “Hammer down” in Mercedes Fatherland. Heres hoping by the 11th round, there is a realisation by the presentation and publication teams, that so far it has all be substandard, and they themselves bring updates to quality, style and information quantity this sport drastically needs, especially in practice sessions.

I've put hundreds of thousands of hours into games for the past 25 years. Not until Star Wars Battlefront released in 2015, 2015!!!! had I had any bad word to say about HUD graphics, after playing this game the flood gates opened. DICE the publisher have only gotten worse since, it took massive campaigns on the forums and social media for them to change it in BF1 and that took nearly a year.

It's like the more advanced and easier graphics are to design and implement the worse the quality gets.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.

(28-07-2018, 08:54 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Rome total war lol, so many flap jack hours playing that game, good stoners game.     Cool

I was the king at - Rome total war, but "worms" was a close second, it's where I first had the team, "the Wild Bunch" haha - Tuco, and Josey Wales where my main warriors, lol Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Foghorn Leghorn's post

Some of the posts up there are a bit "wall of text" for me on a Saturday night! But on the question of on screen graphics, my intiial impressions this season were that last years TV graphics were a lot cleaner and easier to read (and actually looked more modern). This years don't look good to my eye, the fonts are too rounded and it all looks a bit sesame street.

The graphics in halo are OK. I'd rather see the graphics than the actual halo while on-board.

Was I the only one who couldn't get a UHD feend on sky today until I watched the recording later on?
[+] 1 user Likes morini's post

(28-07-2018, 09:10 PM)Foghorn Leghorn Wrote:  
(28-07-2018, 08:54 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Rome total war lol, so many flap jack hours playing that game, good stoners game.     Cool

I was the king at - Rome total war, but "worms" was a close second, it's where I first had the team, "the Wild Bunch" haha - Tuco, and Josey Wales where my main warriors, lol Smile

Mate my profile for any games on my phone is "Tuco Ramirez" great minds an all that, guess who I am seeing before they kick the bucket Ennio Morricone, should I dress in a poncho loool
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post