To cheat, or not to cheat?

Per F1 Tech Regulations:

A maximum of 4MJ per lap can be transferred from the ES to the MGU-K (and then in turn to the drivetrain).

A maximum of 2MJ per lap can be transferred from the MGU-K to the ES.

So what you are saying is that they can draw that amount for longer periods of time?

I am very confused!
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Here you go Jody...

It's a puzzle that is currently haunting everyone in Formula One. Not only Ferrari's direct competitors Mercedes and Red Bull. Everyone would like to know why Ferrari has been winning so much time on certain straights since the GP Austria.

In Hockenheim it was over all straights added 4 tenths on Mercedes and 8 tenths on Red Bull. This is a class difference. Nico Hülkenberg was amazed: "They take me on the straight from the Mercedes Arena to driveway Motodrom one tenth. That's only 300 meters. "
We got a GPS comparison of the ten fastest practice laps at Hockenheim. The proves what Ferrari's opponents tell only behind closed doors. The miraculous speed increase is by no means recognizable on all straights. And where it is the case, not even the entire straight line, but only in a certain area.
The phenomenon also occurs mainly in qualifying, after the start or re-starts and in other crucial stages of the race. This pattern has already been observed at the Red Bull Ring and Silverstone. And there is no explanation for this until today. Only guesswork.
he best example is the full throttle section between Turn 2 and Turn 6 in Hockenheim.These are the Parabolika bow to the hairpin. The passage is 1,100 meters long. It ranges from kilometer 0.8 to kilometer 1.9. About 850 meters of it DRS may be activated.

Everything is unsuspicious at the first 200 meters. The speed graphs are almost congruent with each other like a thick, colorful bundle of lines. Only at 225 km / h, the lines begin to separate. Ferrari, Mercedes and Force India still the same, the rest already a bit behind.

At 250 km / h or km 1,4, the scissors suddenly start to rise dramatically. Ferrari is away from the rest of the world. And clearly. Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen remain at the same level for a while, then Raikkonen falls back slightly.

The strange thing: in the last 50 meters, the lines of Vettel, Räikkönen, Bottas and Perez are back in the same corridor. 5 km / h behind them, then the two Renault of Carlos Sainz and Nico Hulkenberg, far off Max Verstappen in the Red Bull.
Ferrari won in this section on all others in a range between 250 and 320 km / h. On the short straight line between turns 1 and 2, the delta only increases from 280 km / h, which is due to the fact that the drivers take the exit from the Motodrom at 265 to 275 km / h. Between the hairpin and curve 8, the effect can already be observed from 225 km / h. On the short straight to the Motodrom Ferrari wins only on the cars with Renault engine.

For 38 hp you need two years of development

If the speed gain alone would be due to the drive, then Ferrari would have 28 kilowatts (38 hp) more than Mercedes. "This is a jump for which you need two years with normal development," Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff compares.

introduction of the Ferrari Spec2 engine in Canada, only a moderate horsepower jump was measured. The fact that the performance exploded only two races later, allows two conclusions. Either Ferrari drove the engine development initially on the conservative side and has only turned with more certainty on the PS screw or has pushed behind a software development or subsequently modified the gasoline system.

Against thesis 1 argues that only Ferrari, but not the customer teams of HaasF1 and Sauber benefit from it. They must be provided with the same hardware and motor programs. Since Räikkönen still drives the first stage of the 2018 engine after his engine change at the GP Spain, the internal combustion engine can not actually be the key. MGU-K, battery and power electronics were renewed in all six cars with Ferrari power only in Hockenheim. So here's no indication.
If the secret lies in the drive, it must be a part that the plant does not have to homologate and pass on to customers. For example, the gasoline pipes. As long as the pressure in the lines is below 10 bar, they count to the chassis. All others are part of the drive unit. The fact is that Ferrari meets the permitted flow rate of 100 kilograms per hour better than the customers, who notice fluctuations over and over again.
hat may have to do with the lines, but is still no explanation: "If you can control the performance as determined as Ferrari apparently does it, the other reason must have as a clever invention to keep the pressure in the gasoline system always constant. That would also be an advantage for every area on the track, "argues Mercedes engine chief Andy Cowell.

Does Ferrari reduce air resistance?

In the Erklärungsnot shoot at the opponents all sorts of theories, from legal gray area to illegal.There is talk of an additional tank behind the flow rate measurement, of more energy than allowed in the battery, of feeding electrical power beyond the permitted 120 kilowatts (163 hp) addition. Renault sporting director Cyrul Abiteboul even calls for standard software to dispel any doubts.

The FIA has repeatedly checked Ferrari after the battery affair and has come to the conclusion every time that everything is legal. You obviously know the trick and amused that the enemy now shoot in all directions in the hope of something to hit. As a result, anyone reporting Ferrari abuse is on the wrong steamer.
Maybe it has nothing to do with the drive in the end? "Maybe Ferrari has found something to drastically reduce aerodynamic drag at high speeds," puzzles Force India technical director Andy Green. "That would mean that the customers get nothing from it. If Ferrari has a trick on the car, they certainly will not tell HaasF1 and Sauber. 

Again, we hear: wrong track. "If Ferrari had found anything in that direction, the other teams would have come to them long ago. The teams study all the videos and take photos on the track and in the pits. You can not keep this secret, "explains an expert. Bet that the topic will keep us busy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

NeilP I'm no electronic engineer, but even I can see the loophole in that ruling. What if it the extra energy isn't going to or from the MGU-K only?

With complete respect to you Jody ( and I am super impressed with your detailed knowledge) I would simply say this to you.

If Jody can see it you think the teams who have legions of people working day and night cannot? It has be something else.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

NeilP, and my point isn't even my own, it's what Abitobul said after Hockenheim. This is literally the last potentially legal loophole the teams can see, Toto alluded to it as well before the weekend. My suggestion would be that just because you can see it, doesn't mean you know how to exploit it.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

(26-07-2018, 01:11 PM)Jody Barton Wrote:  NeilP I'm no electronic engineer, but even I can see the loophole in that ruling. What if it the extra energy isn't going to or from the MGU-K only?

Fia tech regs :

A sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the Energy store
 A sensor is connected to measure all electrical energy into and out of the Mgu-k
 The DC-DC convertor may only consume energy. This will be Verified by inspection.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Correct Forza, but what if the energy used / generated has bugger all to do with the MGU-K?

"Correct Forza, but what if the energy used / generated has bugger all to do with the MGU-K?"

In which case it will have nothing to do with batteries and electric power because all the electric power runs through the MGU-K unit via ERS.

So that leaves MGU-H or ICE, where else could the power come from? Maybe it is something entirely different I have read things from Fuel, to aero nobody outside of Ferrari seems to know!
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

Just so we can all see what is supposed to flow where

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

So there is the loophole Abitobul talked about and which I alluded to, there can be an unlimited amount of energy flow between the MGU-K and MGU-H... and... between the MGU-H and the Battery store (ES). Soooo.... if you route everything via the MGU-H then there's your deployment loophole. The one Honda and others saw and thought they could exploit, but couldn't get by the FIA. It is more than plausible in my books that Ferrari might have come up with an idea within that triumvirate (MGU-K to MGU-H to ES and back again) thats not fall foul of the sporting regulations. Sassi thought he had come up with one while at Ferrari, he just couldn't make it work. Who is to say that someone else (Ferrari have lots of smart boffins) couldn't? Sassi is a bit of a genius, we know Ferrari's MGU-K is the best on the grid, and has been from 2015, and we know they have the smallest and most efficient batteries, again thanks to Sassi and his team. I can totally believe that Ferrari, who are already ahead in this part of the engine have found a way to further exploit there advantage. There is a reason Mercedes head hunted Sassi.