Italian Media Savages Vettel

(25-07-2018, 10:15 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Great post, I may have some issue with your last sentence.  One could be considered lucky circumstances but not four, but hey that is what discussion is all about right!

I'm not so sure. The Red Bull had a blown diffuser for 2 seasons when the other teams were still trying to figure out if it if it was worth in. In 2012, when the other teams finally started to get the blown diffuser to work Red Bull had mastered it. They had a bhp advantage over everyone else bar the Mercedes car (who they only lost 30bhp to that year) and were then pioneering FRIC suspension. The RBR lap delta differential during 2012 was actually bigger than 2010 and 2011. And they're lap delta averaged to the other teams actually put them as dominant during these 3 years as the Mercs in 2014 and 2015, the delta from the Mercs in 2016 to the rest wasn't as big as some might believe. So in my opinion Seb had a car for 3 years straight that was easily as dominant as the Mercs were during the start of the hybrid era. I remember they were 60Kph quicker through Eau Rougue one year. He also had the benefit of of being given preferential treatment. Multi-21 Seb. Or literally taking the new front wing off of Webbers car to put onto Sebs after Seb had binned his car in multiple FP's. He also had the new floor in 2011 I think it was 3 races before Mark Webber was given it. Look, what I'm saying is he was given every possible advantage he could have had at Red Bull. No question. Mark Webber was asked to move aside in plenty of races for him too, so I always have felt that those first 3 WDC's were there for the taking. He just had to convert his massive advantage. Which he did. The only season where the Red Bull wasn't at a stupid advantage was in 2013. However, even there the delta was nearly 0.5 seconds per lap. Had Lewis not had the stupid amount of mechanical failures on his car that year, or Alonso not had all those gremlins during the start of the season when his Ferrari was literally miss-firing, I don't think Seb would have converted the WDC that year. However, he did, and 2013 is the one WDC where I feel he really, really earned it. You could make similar claims for Lewis' 2014 and 2015 titles I guess, but the difference here is that Nico Rosberg was allowed to race him, and despite popular belief Nico is a very talented driver. He has the closest delta to Lewis in the whole of Lewis' career, that says something. What isn't in dispute though surely is that Lewis won the 2008 Championship with the second, maybe even third best car, and I still maintain that in 2017 that Ferrari was the quicker car. This year we are seeing the Ferrari is actually quite a bit quicker than the Mercedes. If Seb doesn't convert this car into a WDC at the end of 2018 I think we'll all start asking some searching questions about him again. I still have him down as firm favourite for the title, and given the size of the advantage Ferrari have, if they carry it over into 2019 you'd say this should be an era of Ferrari dominance. If it isn't that'll be down to Seb.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

R.I.P Sergio

Former Ferrari chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne has passed away at the age of 66, just days after the company announced a succession plan.
Marchionne had entered hospital for shoulder surgery, but after the operation his condition deteriorated rapidly, with reports suggesting that an embolism had led to a coma.

On July 21, Ferrari reported that it had "learned with deep sadness during its meeting today that chairman and CEO Sergio Marchionne will be unable to return to work."

It was announced that John Elkann would become chairman, and Louis C Camilleri be named as CEO.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 5 users Like forzaferrari's post

OMG I am shocked, I thought it was just a shoulder surgery. How sad. A big loss to Ferrari.

RIP Mr Marchionne
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

RIP Sergio, 66 is no age to go.
[+] 4 users Like morini's post

Kinda of thought with how quickly it all came about that it was really serious / life threatening, so I can't say I'm shocked, but I am deeply saddened. He really saw the value of Motorsport and F1, and I think he gave new and fresh impetus to the Ferrari F1 team. He's a loss for sure.
[+] 4 users Like Jody Barton's post