Leclerc to Ferrari for two seasons...

Signing Charles Leclerc for next season will either “destroy” the Monaco driver as Sebastian Vettel tries to “eat him alive” or it will hurt Ferrari, so says Jacques Villeneuve.

After a stellar start to his Formula 1 career, 20-year-old Leclerc has been tipped to replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari next season.
The youngster, who is only making his debut this season, would be a gamble for Ferrari who in the past have gone with more experienced drivers given the pressure of racing in red.
Villeneuve warns it could end in tears.
Speaking on F1’s ‘Beyond The Grid’ podcast, the former World Champion said: “Of course, look at the work he has been doing.
“He’s third in the championship, he’s often quicker than Vettel, when he’s not he’s what, a tenth behind? He’s paramount in the development of the car.
“The whole team works fantastically well now, put a young cub next to Vettel; what will Vettel do? He’ll try to eat him alive.
“And either he will destroy the young cub, or it’ll end in tears and the whole team will end up going slower within two years, so that’s not constructive.”
The Canadian added that Leclerc should spend more time with a junior team, if not Sauber than Haas, where he can perfect his craft before stepping up to Ferrari.
He added: “Charles is still making a few mistakes, it would be great for Leclerc. It would be amazing for him, but it would be two years of Ferrari preparing him. “Ferrari is like Mercedes, it’s not a team to prepare drivers. It’s a top team. Top teams, they buy and they pay the drivers as when they’re at their best and when they want them....“That’s why you have junior teams to prepare them.”

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(16-08-2018, 12:46 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  Signing Charles Leclerc for next season will either “destroy” the Monaco driver as Sebastian Vettel tries to “eat him alive” or it will hurt Ferrari, so says Jacques Villeneuve.

After a stellar start to his Formula 1 career, 20-year-old Leclerc has been tipped to replace Kimi Raikkonen at Ferrari next season.
The youngster, who is only making his debut this season, would be a gamble for Ferrari who in the past have gone with more experienced drivers given the pressure of racing in red.
Villeneuve warns it could end in tears.
Speaking on F1’s ‘Beyond The Grid’ podcast, the former World Champion said: “Of course, look at the work he has been doing.
“He’s third in the championship, he’s often quicker than Vettel, when he’s not he’s what, a tenth behind? He’s paramount in the development of the car.
“The whole team works fantastically well now, put a young cub next to Vettel; what will Vettel do? He’ll try to eat him alive.
“And either he will destroy the young cub, or it’ll end in tears and the whole team will end up going slower within two years, so that’s not constructive.”
The Canadian added that Leclerc should spend more time with a junior team, if not Sauber than Haas, where he can perfect his craft before stepping up to Ferrari.
He added: “Charles is still making a few mistakes, it would be great for Leclerc. It would be amazing for him, but it would be two years of Ferrari preparing him. “Ferrari is like Mercedes, it’s not a team to prepare drivers. It’s a top team. Top teams, they buy and they pay the drivers as when they’re at their best and when they want them....“That’s why you have junior teams to prepare them.”

Is there any confirmation of the time they will announce their line up for 2019?
[+] 1 user Likes LotusLover's post

Last I read was there was a strong expectation Kimi was to re sign (or already has) and more than likely announced @ Spa

(personally I think it`s a wise move to keep Kimi for another year, he has been fantastic in recent races and this year as a whole)

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

I think as time has passed the Leclerc to Ferrari is dying on its feet. It will be good for him (in my opinion) to stay another year in a smaller team. A move to Haas may be good but surely continuity also means something if he stays at Sauber.

I understand the Kimi discussion too, I highly doubt anyone else will be in the team next year but I really would like to see someone else in his place but that would almost inevitably be a one year deal and I dont think that works very well for either side.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

Yes Neil it’s a double edged sword in regards to Kimi, one we would like to see him emulate his form and win but truthfully we know he only does it in spats if he could win in Australia 2019 then maybe he could get a head start on Seb and not be labelled No.2 but I think Seb is too fast for him now that he is older not by much but enough
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

.. and rumours in F1 today are that Kimi could be set to sign not a one but two year deal with Ferrari. That if true makes no sense whatsoever to me. The last 2/3 years its a been a one year add on why would it be any different now. I guess the answer could be a two year deal but not necessarily to drive an F1 car. The driver market is getting an even bigger shake up than most of us thought probable and maybe even possible as little as one month ago.
[+] 1 user Likes NeilP's post

I would guess Neil if indeed Kimi does sign a 2 year deal it is because of the major rule shake up for `21....perhaps they think there is little point in bringing in Leclerc for 2020 only for the cars to be totally different beasts the following year?...no idea...just a guess.

[+] 4 users Like forzaferrari's post

That is a very sensible and logical guess Forza. Like you say 2021 big rule shake up, and preemptive development will be key. So keeping a stable roster of seasoned knowledgeable drivers is for sure going to help.

Although, I mentioned Leclerc and his radio chatter to his race engineer at a recent GP practice session. Where I think he showed all the hallmarks for excellent development feedback and direction. So it might of been wise to bring him in to get him influencing development for 2021 and drive the direction for the next generation. Best if both world then.

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

(17-08-2018, 11:14 AM)forzaferrari Wrote:  I would guess Neil if indeed Kimi does sign a 2 year deal it is because of the major rule shake up for `21....perhaps they think there is little point in bringing in Leclerc for 2020 only for the cars to be totally different beasts the following year?...no idea...just a guess.

Kimi's been excellent so far this season (well, qualifying aside) and I think you have hit the nail on the head. Ferrari won't mind stability until the next gig reg changes.

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast.
[+] 3 users Like The Professor's post

(17-08-2018, 12:31 PM)The Professor Wrote:  Kimi's been excellent so far this season (well, qualifying aside) and I think you have hit the nail on the head. Ferrari won't mind stability until the next gig reg changes.

Yeah, I think Kimi has shown a renewed interest this season...got a bit of fight back in him, if he can continue this form he is a safe pair of hands for Ferrari.

[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post