Leclerc to Ferrari for two seasons...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44660670

According to the BBC (not sure I trust Andrew Benson that much) its agreed in principle but not signed yet.

I dont think this will come as surprise to anyone on this forum

My first thought is that the end of Kimi or will be he be driving elsewhere in F1 next season?  Personally I think he is done and whilst I will miss him as a driver I sure as heck wont miss his bland Scandinavian attitude when being interviewed.

Point of order... Finnish people are not Scandinavian, they're Nordic, only Danes, Swedes and Norwegians are Scandinavian. People from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are also Nordic, as are the Icelandic. You refer to Finns as Scandinavian and you'll piss them off, it's kinda like calling a Scottish person English.

Next up yeah, I think this will be the end of Kimi in F1. I can't see him going to McLaren, or anywhere else. I however will miss him. I know a lot of Finns, and i Kinda get Kimi now. They don't do bullshit the Finns, or waffle, they just want to do their job the best they can and have their work speak for them. So I kinda like Kimi's attitude.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(30-06-2018, 12:15 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  Point of order... Finnish people are not Scandinavian, they're Nordic, only Danes, Swedes and Norwegians are Scandinavian. People from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are also Nordic, as are the Icelandic. You refer to Finns as Scandinavian and you'll piss them off, it's kinda like calling a Scottish person English.

Next up yeah, I think this will be the end of Kimi in F1. I can't see him going to McLaren, or anywhere else. I however will miss him. I know a lot of Finns, and i Kinda get Kimi now. They don't do bullshit the Finns, or waffle, they just want to do their job the best they can and have their work speak for them. So I kinda like Kimi's attitude.

Thanks for the lesson Jody, may save me some blushes down the road. I guess its a good job I am not drinking with you and your wife (I think I read somewhere you said she was Finnish, you will have to excuse an old mans brain!)

You have an inside track to the Nordic mind, there is a reason that part of world is consistently voted and named as being one of the best areas to live in the world. Personally I would not even interview Kimi he has nothing to say 99% of the time, he may well be the greatest guy in the world who really knows but as a driver and his opinions he pretty keeps everything to himself and I dont know why anyone even bothers.

(30-06-2018, 01:55 AM)NeilP Wrote:  Thanks for the lesson Jody, may save me some blushes down the road. I guess its a good job I am not drinking with you and your wife (I think I read somewhere you said she was Finnish, you will have to excuse an old mans brain!)

I think that's a no harm no foul sort of situation. Although I have made that mistake with a few Finns at a Party once when I first moved to Sweden, I assure you it is not a mistake I made twice. Something to do with Scandinavians basically constantly invading them and attempting to wipe out there heritage and culture and not appreciating it very much. Finns are not Swedes, Danes or Norwegians and their culture and language are very, very different.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

(30-06-2018, 10:07 AM)Jody Barton Wrote:  I think that's a no harm no foul sort of situation. Although I have made that mistake with a few Finns at a Party once when I first moved to Sweden, I assure you it is not a mistake I made twice. Something to do with Scandinavians basically constantly invading them and attempting to wipe out there heritage and culture and not appreciating it very much. Finns are not Swedes, Danes or Norwegians and their culture and language are very, very different.

Haha, those of us who lived through the dark times in N.I quickly learned to avoid the subject of peoples nationalities Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

Forza, all I can say is that Finns do not appreciate being mistaken for their oppressors. I will never, EVER make that mistake again.
[+] 2 users Like Jody Barton's post

I'm not surprised the rumour is gaining momentum. What I am surprised by is Ferrari, this is not their usual approach to appointing drivers into their team. A breath of fresh air however, right Forza?

My previous sig was obsolete, McLaren ain't disappointing Heshy no more.
[+] 3 users Like Monster Hesh's post

On the subject of Scandanavia, drove up to York this morning to bring eldest daughter home (missing quali and the race, so I won't be on here until after I've watched both tomorrow night). Anyway, I sold my estate car a couple of years ago and bought a group 1 insurance car for daughter to learn to drive, so it was either do two runs in wifes car (540 mile round trip!) or hire a car for weekend and do 1 trip. Took option 2 and when I went to pick the hire car up they gave me a Volvo. Ugh I thought, bloody old grandads car. How wrong can you be! What a fantastic motorway cruiser it has turned out to be, every toy imaginable, great seats and I got out of it feeling fresh as a daisy. Complete contrast to my usual long commute in Mrs M's car where I am usually getting out of it and booking an appointment with an osteopath.

Anyway, understated scandi old man wagon turns out to be a lovely way to travel distances. Who knew?!
[+] 5 users Like morini's post

(30-06-2018, 01:46 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  I'm not surprised the rumour is gaining momentum. What I am surprised by is Ferrari, this is not their usual approach to appointing drivers into their team. A breath of fresh air however, right Forza?

Yeah, I wont be disappointed when Charles gets the seat much as I will miss Kimi, we need a driver taking the bigger points away from the Silver cars (and the blue ones as Kimi often finds himself behind even them when the ferrari seem to have the pace in Sebs hands) Wink
That being said I am not 100% convinced yet that Leclerc is ready to make the step up, I think another year honing his craft would benefit both him and Ferrari

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(30-06-2018, 02:04 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(30-06-2018, 01:46 PM)Monster Hesh Wrote:  I'm not surprised the rumour is gaining momentum. What I am surprised by is Ferrari, this is not their usual approach to appointing drivers into their team. A breath of fresh air however, right Forza?

Yeah, I wont be disappointed when Charles gets the seat much as I will miss Kimi, we need a driver taking the bigger points away from the Silver cars (and the blue ones as Kimi often finds himself behind even them when the ferrari seem to have the pace in Sebs hands) Wink
That being said I am not 100% convinced yet that Leclerc is ready to make the step up, I think another year honing his craft would benefit both him and Ferrari

Disagree , look what they said about Lewis he nearly won in his 1st year, Leclerc can handle it had another great race, can you remember the last great in a Sauber my memory is Kimi in 2002 I think
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post