Mad Max

I dont think Lewis needs any more motivation after this last race.

Its an interesting comment though one that will come back to bite him in the ass I am sure. For many who think it will be great to have closer running cars next year (and I agree) if you think Max is going to get away with his style of driving with the likes of Russell, LeClerc, Norris and Sainz he has another think coming. They will be prepared to "Max" him as he does others in equal cars.

He still has a long way to go to be the equal yet alone superior to Hamilton
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

We will only know when those two are in the same car. I would not bet any money on who of the two is the faster driver.
Will never happen though.

But, that Verstappen made that comment (where actually?) makes me think. Did he had a reason for saying such thing or was it one of those typical "Verstappen says what he thinks without care" comments?

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 1 user Likes Antilochos's post

The point that Max does not seem to understand and indeed a lot of his supporters fail to recognize (This is NOT directed at you Anti) it is not just about being the fastest. It is about being the best all round driver. Ferrari had the fastest car a few years ago did one of their drivers win the WDC? No they did not.

Then you need to understand the differences in their positions. Max has clearly been in an inferior car to Lewis, of that there can be no doubt. That means he drives in a different style. He has taken more chances (hence more mistakes) to try and level the playing field. Lewis does not need to drive that way as his car gives him an advantage Max has not had. Hence he does not take the same level of risk that Max has.

If the roles were reversed I am sure Lewis would be as aggressive and push the envelope like Max has. Hamiltons past career tells us that. The interesting thing to me would be would Max be a little more conservative or would he still drive in the same style. We will never know. There is no way these two will ever be in the same team it would be completely unmanageable. The egos would not be controllable and the tension way too high.

I do not think anyone doubts that Max will be a WDC one day and possibly a multiple champion. That said strange things happen if he does not win it this year who knows whose car or cars will be the best next year. It could be dominated say by Ferrari (I just threw up in mouth a little there!) or McLaren and it may be another 2/3 seasons before Max gets an equal car. Conversely Red Bull may have the best car with the changes and be unstoppable for 3/4/5 years as Mercedes have been and Ferrari once were when Michael drove for them.

Getting back to team mates and I have said this before. It makes me appreciate how good Nico Rosberg was. He did not possess the driving talent that Lewis Hamilton has but he was very solid technician and lets be frank here he pushed Hamilton far more than Valteri Bottas has. I hated Rosberg but I respected his driving ability. Was he lucky to win the WDC, yes but everyone needs a little lady luck in life now and again.

To compare the two (Max and Lewis) is a great discussion point for fans especially if you are a fan or follower of either of the drivers but one is head and shoulders above the other. One is a SEVEN time world champion the other has won nothing yet.
[+] 4 users Like NeilP's post

I think Hamilton and Verstappen are not as different as you think. In fact, to operate at that level there is not much room left to be different.
Would Verstappen be less risky? Look at last two races. He had the better car, was dominant so didn't take any risks at all at the two most risky tracks there are (while Hamilton did and failed). Pirelli did though...

And that is the same with the non argument in my eyes; Hamilton having seven championships. Being in the right car at the right time (and having not a equally good teammate) is necessary. Hamilton happened to be in the most dominant car ever with not that great of teammates. It helps, you know.
I am not taking anything away from Hamilton, I think he is great, superb. But, in the discussion of Verstappen vs Hamilton I will say that Verstappen would have achieved the same.

And yet we would never know who of the two is better. Because that argument goes vice versa when both are not teammates. Like any argument in my eyes, since I think both are very much the same.
Therefor I don't mind much discussing which is faster cq better. I just enjoy the fact that both are in almost equal cars finally and we have a battle (although I think Mercedes will be right back in the front comfortably when the normal circuits starts). Now let Ferrari and McLaren join that battle in the coming years (and give us Russell in stead of Buttass).

Got to have a 27B-6.
[+] 2 users Like Antilochos's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verst...s/6866894/

Verstappen: It's unfair I'm treated differently to other F1 drivers.

Max Verstappen claims he is "treated differently" to other Formula 1 drivers after receiving penalties in Saudi Arabia which he felt he did not deserve.

Worth a read if you need a laugh....    Shutup

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(09-12-2021, 01:19 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verst...s/6866894/

Max Verstappen claims he is "treated differently" to other Formula 1 drivers after receiving penalties in Saudi Arabia which he felt he did not deserve.

Well, he is treated differently, but not in the way he thinks! Perhaps if he was treated "as his driving deserved" he would have developed into a better driver by now? I've always said it was a big mistake him skipping junior single seater series as he missed out on invaluable learning experiences in an environment where things aren't quite so intense. Nothing anyone says will ever convince me I'm wrong about that one. 

The only way the guy can rescue his reputation from here (in my eyes, obviously) is if he drives elsewhere and cleans up his on track displays.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(10-12-2021, 09:41 AM)morini Wrote:  
(09-12-2021, 01:19 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verst...s/6866894/

Well, he is treated differently, but not in the way he thinks! Perhaps if he was treated "as his driving deserved" he would have developed into a better driver by now? I've always said it was a big mistake him skipping junior single seater series as he missed out on invaluable learning experiences in an environment where things aren't quite so intense. Nothing anyone says will ever convince me I'm wrong about that one. 

The only way the guy can rescue his reputation from here (in my eyes, obviously) is if he drives elsewhere and cleans up his on track displays.

I think a massive part of his aggressive and dangerous driving comes down to the fact his employers are telling him everything is brilliant and he has done no wrong. Even if he causes a pile up whinger spice and the Walnut would point the finger in every other direction than his.

Max thinks he is in the right because these 2 muppets keep telling him he is.

Sex, Drugs and Sausage Rolls.
[+] 3 users Like pennywise's post

(10-12-2021, 11:41 AM)pennywise Wrote:  I think a massive part of his aggressive and dangerous driving comes down to the fact his employers are telling him everything is brilliant and he has done no wrong. Even if he causes a pile up whinger spice and the Walnut would point the finger in every other direction than his.

Max thinks he is in the right because these 2 muppets keep telling him he is.

^^^ This Ian, all of it.

Imo the lad is hugely talented...... but...... I agree he's been dragged to the dark side.

When his mentors are Jos, the Helmut & short spice what do we expect...

May the best man/team win........ fairly.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(10-12-2021, 01:54 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  May the best man/team win........ fairly.

Yup.

Providing there are no "taking rival out" events I will be happy whoever wins the WDC. I think the WCC is a forgone conclusion.
[+] 3 users Like morini's post

(10-12-2021, 08:02 PM)morini Wrote:  Providing there are no "talking rival out" events I will be happy whoever wins the WDC.

I would not got as far as to say "happy", but if Max Verstappen fronts up and wins this race fair and square I will be first in line to say "well done chum, you are the F1 World Champion".

I'll still think he's a dirty driving, egotistical, entitled prick but at least he would have, at last, won something in singe seaters Laughing
[+] 3 users Like black's post