Bottas unlucky

I know the old maxim is you make your own luck, and in this sport, F1, that's generally true. Also what goes around normally comes around, we've seen it time and time again, I still think last year Seb's red myst moment in Baku came back to haunt him later on in the season. However, reading Jolyon Palmer's latest article on the BBC, I got to thinking that Bottas really has been monumentally unlucky this season, he really really has, if it really is a case of making your own luck, what the hell has he bloody been up too, and if what goes around comes around expect him to go on a massive winning streak any time soon!!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44597196

Question, do we really think those maxims of "making your own luck" and "what goes around comes around are true", because looking at Bottas, I'm really not sure it's true.
[+] 3 users Like Jody Barton's post

He has been very unlucky especially this season, not quite in the Nigel Mansell School of Bad Karma yet, but not far off.

He is a very solid driver and a very balanced guy. He is a little Kimiesque at times in his demeanor (No talking please) but I guess that is just a Scandinavian trait. Regardless of my huge desire for him to be replaced by Daniel Ricciardo next season (Have I ever mentioned that here Smile ) he is to me a number 2 in any of the top teams. There is something missing and I just cannot put my finger on it. It is not as noticeable as the difference between how Vettel and Raikkonnen perform comparatively but often he is nowhere near performancewise what Hamilton does.

I think technically he is excellent but I guess I would say he is not racy enough when it truly matters. A very likable guy though I would not be that disappointed if Mercedes keep him on for next season.

P.S. Inconsistent is probably the word I am looking for here.
[+] 2 users Like NeilP's post

(28-06-2018, 03:08 PM)NeilP Wrote:  He has been very unlucky especially this season, not quite in the Nigel Mansell School of Bad Karma yet, but not far off.

Runner up three times, wasn't easy being a Mansell fan was it? though looking who he was racing against it was harder for him lol.

My view Valtteri is as fast as Nico without the niggle & Ruthless streak, on his day as fast or faster than Lewis, though not yet consistent at every race, though without the bad luck his figures would obviously look a lot better, he would be fighting at the top of the championship, unlucky guy so far no doubt, proven enough to deserve his seat at Mercedes I feel, I saw a video on sky where Ted has said Lewis has said in his contract that he wants Bottas to stay, my guess is Lewis's head & Mercedes F1 team are in a much happier place with Valtteri than it was with Nico.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

That is a tough battle Rosberg vs Bottas. As much as I want to agree with you I think Rosberg was the better driver. Rosberg was in my opinion a better technical driver than Hamilton and Bottas but when push comes to shove Lewis I think owned a little more real estate in Rosbergs head than Rosberg did in his! Smile

(28-06-2018, 06:40 PM)NeilP Wrote:  That is a tough battle Rosberg vs Bottas. As much as I want to agree with you I think Rosberg was the better driver. Rosberg was in my opinion a better technical driver than Hamilton and Bottas but when push comes to shove Lewis I think owned a little more real estate in Rosbergs head than Rosberg did in his! Smile

I too think Nico was better technically but Lewis had/has the raw natural speed advantage, as for who was in who`s head the most I dont know....but a lot of the times I thought it was Lewis in his own head and little to do with Nico.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post

(28-06-2018, 06:52 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(28-06-2018, 06:40 PM)NeilP Wrote:  but when push comes to shove Lewis I think owned a little more real estate in Rosbergs head than Rosberg did in his! Smile

but a lot of the times I thought it was Lewis in his own head and little to do with Nico.

Hello Neil, your both right Nico v Valtteri, Nico being the better technical/all around driver, I really can see what your saying & think your right, though I still believe Valtteri is as fast, maybe lacking in he ruthless in hand to hand racing skills but over a lap he is quick, as to your quote Neil, I see it differently, (doesn't make me right lol) I think Nico saw what Jenson saw, (Lewis's Nicole moods) when Lewis is unhappy he is never as quick as a happy Lewis, still very quick but just off it, now another great driver like Jenson or Nico could take advantage of this, both did so successfully, so I think Nico got into Lewis's head not so much the other way around, pity it ruined a childhood friendship but that's the price of winning I suppose.

Hi Forza, whilst I agree Lewis can do his own head in over silly things (I'm good at that lol) I think some of the things that happened (I wont list as we all know) really got into Lewis's head & I think Nico Knew it & took advantage of it, know what I don't have a problem with it like some "fans" all's fair in love & war as they say.

You all know what a big Lewis fan I am but I believe Lewis's week spot is in between his ears, when he's happy in a car he's happy with I believe he's the fastest on the planet when he's unhappy not so much, I think Mercedes also know this, so operation keep Lewis happy lol. Tongue

Edit, my quotes worked!

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(28-06-2018, 07:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  Hi Forza, whilst I agree Lewis can do his own head in over silly things (I'm good at that lol) I think some of the things that happened (I wont list as we all know) really got into Lewis's head & I think Nico Knew it & took advantage of it, know what I don't have a problem with it like some "fans" all's fair in love & war as they say.

Oh yeah without doubt Nico did took every opportunity to mess with his head, I just think Lewis beat himself some of the time.

Edit, my quotes worked!

You bloody genius! Wink

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 1 user Likes forzaferrari's post

(28-06-2018, 08:55 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(28-06-2018, 07:40 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  .

Edit, my quotes worked!

You bloody genius! Wink

You bloody genius! < my thoughts exactly lol. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes PapaofGags's post

"pity it ruined a childhood friendship but that's the price of winning I suppose"

I really hope some day these guys can get together and shake hands and renew their friendship. They were in a dog eat dog situation where it pretty much is every man for himself.

As a Hamilton fan I was very disappointed when Rosberg beat Hamilton but on reflection I will not say I happy about it but there is no doubt it was deserved and I think its clear to see it took every last ounce of effort and fiber in the mans body.

Jody alluded to it in a previous post Hamilton is most certainly still learning and developing as a driver, I believe he learned a lot from Rosberg too and if I am honest I have to say I miss the battles between the two of them they were mighty at times.

I know it’s gone but what really made me look down at LH was that childish moment in Texas so unsporting imo Rosberg must of thought “cockwomble” anyway karma was karma the following year but that said Hamilton has the more natural speed than Nico imo