Kimi Raikkonen

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/...2c699d3fb9

FERRARI star Kimi Raikkonen’s Formula One future has been decided and could to be announced tomorrow.
The Ferrari man is out of contract at the end of this season with the Italian team, with growing speculation about whether the two-time world champion would be offered a new deal, The Sun reports.
However, sources in Italy say that the Finn’s future has already been decided and he has been told by new Ferrari chairman John Elkann that he is being released.

The news was rumoured to be confirmed on Thursday with an announcement coming from the team’s HQ in Maranello, but the day passed with no word from the Scuderia.
It is thought that Charles Leclerc will replace Raikkonen and will complete Ferrari’s line-up for 2019 alongside Sebastian Vettel.
The news will be a huge blow to Raikkonen’s fans across the globe. The 38-year-old enjoys cult status, despite being a man of few words.
Raikkonen, who was second in last weekend’s Italian GP, could see his F1 career cut short as reports in Italy claim that former Ferrari CEO, Sergio Marchionne, signed a deal with Leclerc before passing away in July.

Raikkonen had previously quit F1 in 2009 to try his hand at rallying, ice racing and truck racing, before returning to the sport with Lotus in 2012. He then rejoined Ferrari in 2014 and has since had 23 podiums but no victories.

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don't think he has come to apologise" 
Ayrton Senna on Nigel Mansell, SPA 1987.   Angel
[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

Not a surprise if true. Kimi's days are sadly numbered. I love him, but it's time the old guard started shuffling off of the grid if they're not performing / going for titles. With Alonso and Räikkonen gone does that make Lewis Hamilton the oldest on the grid?

Yep it does, there's a gaggle of drivers around 29 to 31, but Lewis at 33 will be the old man of F1.
[+] 1 user Likes Jody Barton's post

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...-raikkonen

Kimi being Kimi.    Cool

Kimi Raikkonen was at his taciturn best during Thursday's press conference for the Singapore GP when the Finn stonewalled a series of invitations to open up on his move to Sauber.

"Why not?" Raikkonen shot back when asked to explain why he had opted to join Sauber.

Let's try again. Was there a specific reason why Kimi wanted to go back to Sauber?

"Because l want to go back to Sauber."

Hmm.

But there must be a reason?

"Why do you guys make it so complicated?

"I have my reasons and as long as I am happy with them, that is good for me."

Clearly, at this point, a change of tack was required.

How about a question asking Kimi whether the move, snubbing the possibility of retirement, had proved his love of racing?

Surely this open invitation would elicit a welcome response....

Erm, not quite.

"No, I am not actually. Just for pure head games with you guys I have signed and I am going to spend two years there not happy."

The 2007 world champion is to leave Ferrari at the end of the season and has signed a two-year deal to return to Sauber.

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

(13-09-2018, 01:50 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...-raikkonen

Kimi being Kimi.    Cool

You have no idea just how disappointed I am that Kimi didnt make the switch to commentary......"bwoah the lights have went out, the race has started" followed by just under 2 hours of comm silence then " bwoah, its over, that guy won"....no bias, no bullsh*t, no Crofty telling totally unrelated stories... actually being able to hear the cars on track without someone droning on ....bliss  Tongue

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 3 users Like forzaferrari's post

(13-09-2018, 02:16 PM)forzaferrari Wrote:  
(13-09-2018, 01:50 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/...-raikkonen

Kimi being Kimi.    Cool

You have no idea just how disappointed I am that Kimi didnt make the switch to commentary......"bwoah the lights have went out, the race has started" followed by just under 2 hours of comm silence then " bwoah, its over, that guy won"....no bias, no bullsh*t, no Crofty telling totally unrelated stories... actually being able to hear the cars on track without someone droning on ....bliss  Tongue

It was clearly a sore subject for Kimi, they do ask bone questions but hey he gets paid enough to answer them, I thought it was a little misleading as he spoke quite a bit for Kimi
[+] 3 users Like LotusLover's post

I am not especially a Kimi fan but having just watched the drivers interviews I am disgusted at his treatment.  Everyone and his dog knows Ferrari dropped him in favour of Leclerc why the need to ram it down his throat with the stupid inane questions?

Then we have the usual British gutter press goading Lewis into a fight via 'Is all this travelling going to harm your ability to win races'  Really. The guy is a 4 time world Champion and is leading this year by 30 points does that answer your dumb ass question.

I felt for Kimi and I think the other drivers did too, I wondered if at one point Lewis was going to say something he would regret standing up for Kimi.

Loved Kimi's reply when asked if he would be helping Vettel win the world championship "I can only drive one car"

Also loved Kimi and Lewis commenting on the best time of the week talking to these journalists
[+] 3 users Like NeilP's post

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...e/3206083/

Is this one of the reasons we all like Kimi? Hehe

Kimi Raikkonen believes there is so much “nonsense” and “bullshit” in the media that such coverage is starting to harm Formula 1.

[+] 2 users Like PapaofGags's post

(31-10-2018, 12:16 PM)PapaofGags Wrote:  https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/raikk...e/3206083/

Is this one of the reasons we all like Kimi? Hehe

Kimi Raikkonen believes there is so much “nonsense” and “bullshit” in the media that such coverage is starting to harm Formula 1.

Fucking right Sky single handedly destroying meaningful commentary they just talk utter shite on FP1 and 2 if you got nothing useful to say STFU lol or do better research ffs
[+] 2 users Like LotusLover's post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45239949

Formula 1: Kimi Raikkonen's world is a very different place. (well worth reading the whole article lads)

The private area of Singapore's main airport often caters for celebrities and the wealthy, preparing for security checks - just one more easy step before boarding their private jets.

It is usually light work for the security staff. But not during one particular evening in 2008.

A man places his bags on the conveyor belt. As everyone else expects him to walk through the scanner, he sees his belongings just about to disappear and has a brilliant idea. He jumps onto the moving conveyor belt himself. Panicked and raging security staff are brought to life by the unusual turn of events, expecting to apprehend a maniac.

Instead they turn him over and are faced with Formula 1 driver Kimi Raikkonen, curious that the scanning equipment would give him "an image of the precise details of his body, and his bone structure in particular".

The Singapore staff "suggest leg irons and a tough interrogation instead".

His antics were even more outlandish away from the circuit; mischief has always followed Raikkonen around. During his time in the army in his youth, he broke the record for the longest time in confinement - about 20 days.

He was allowed special dispensation to leave on race weekends, but following one particular win, it got boozy, and he and his friend were late returning to the barracks.

Moments before attempting to climb over the fence in the darkness, they were spotted by military policemen. While his friend was thrown in the van and taken for questioning, Raikkonen jumped into a ditch. He then outran the security dogs, across fields and eventually flopped into his bed - drunk and covered in grass - and pretended to be asleep.

When later questioned about his evasive action he replied: "That's exactly what you teach us here; we're scouts after all."

Quite, but what he lacks in words, the Iceman more than makes up for in intrigue and cold, hard racing.

Which is just as well, because if you ask him about his grand plans for the rest of his life beyond Formula 1...

"I'll get a dog."

[+] 3 users Like PapaofGags's post

Great read Paps

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all of their life"....Marco Simoncelli
[+] 2 users Like forzaferrari's post